PDA

View Full Version : VIA AGP and 7*.** Forceware 2D corruption fix

RobW
04-01-05, 01:18 PM
A guy called slartibardfast over at nvidia forums posted a fix for this which worked first time for me with the 76.41s. Really easy too - no forceloading of AGP drivers or voltage modding. Hope it works for everyone else with this problem.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=3612

Some AGP 6xxx series Geforce graphics cards on VIA Mainboards have displayed corrupt 2D graphics (e.g. Orange Scratches, Weird Icons, Irregular Tiling) when used with the latest Forceware Drivers (7x.xx).

Initially I suspected it was some sort of issue with the GART Driver especially since Microsoft have decided to replace all AGP 3.5 GART drivers with Windows XP SP2's Universal AGP Driver. I ended up trying VIA's old Windows XP GART driver, this was to no avail.

The actual fix is a simple registry entry "UseUncachedPCIMappings" and most importantly it is GART driver agnostic!

As the registry entry location varies the simplest way to add the fix is to load "nv4_disp.inf" in your favorite text editor and search for

[nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings]

And anywhere under this section add this line:

HKR,, UseUncachedPCIMappings, %REG_DWORD%,1

Then install the driver using the standard setup.exe method reboot and enjoy the latest forceware drivers!!!

P.S. If you already have a 7x.xx forceware installed and you are suffering the above described corruption, grab RivaTuner and use its "Power user" feature to edit the registry entry.

Enjoy!

Peoples-Agent
04-01-05, 01:22 PM
Although I don't have these problems, I will say ...very well done dude.
Seriously, it's people taking the time to post help like this is what a real forum is all about.

mike2h
04-01-05, 02:33 PM
does not affect me but good heads up!
ditto on what Peoples-Agent said.

PsychoSquirrel
04-01-05, 04:46 PM
hey i was having this issue and it did fix it, thanks for the post man. although now hen i go to take a screen shot in game it lags out for like 5-7 seconds

PsychoSquirrel
04-01-05, 04:56 PM
well the screen shot is still all messed up http://home.comcast.net/~HYBPS/SS.jpg

$n][pErMan
04-01-05, 05:43 PM
Ihave had this problem in all 7x series drives... hopefully I will give this a try tonight or tommorrow. I'll let u all know if it works in my case :)

Greg
04-01-05, 07:47 PM
When does this problem occur? I used to get a similar garbled screen when 3dmark and Half Life 2 switched display modes, with msi geforce and via mb. Havn't seen the problem in ages. When it did occur, it persisted until computer was restarted.

PsychoSquirrel
04-01-05, 08:08 PM
well its been happening since i got the 6800GT like a week ago. im a dumbass when it comes to this stuff so any help you give is more thn i know

Comp Specs:
Asrock p4v88 mobo (VIA PT880 - VIA VT8237)
P4 2.8
1 gig kingston ram (2x512 dual channel)
120WD
160Maxtor
400W PS
XFX 6800GT

$n][pErMan
04-02-05, 02:32 AM
well its been happening since i got the 6800GT like a week ago. im a dumbass when it comes to this stuff so any help you give is more thn i know

Comp Specs:
Asrock p4v88 mobo (VIA PT880 - VIA VT8237)
P4 2.8
1 gig kingston ram (2x512 dual channel)
120WD
160Maxtor
400W PS
XFX 6800GT
Use the "Extreme G "Quality" 67.66a's" for now. They are a badass set with 0 corruption... great IQ.. and great performance. The 7x series is trash if you ask me. :thumbdwn: So many bugs its not even funny.

PsychoSquirrel
04-02-05, 04:48 PM
installed them, screenshots are still all messed up

RanCorX2
04-03-05, 04:14 AM
I tried this as I thought it might fix the flicking area on videos when using vmr on the 7x.xx series drivers as thats classed as 2d but no it didn't :thumbdwn: im stickin to 67.66 till nvidia can make a decent driver, fricken bug is really pi**ing me off. :mad:

RobW
04-04-05, 04:31 PM
I've noticed some in game graphics corruption pretty much like the screenshot in this thread - mainly on the loading screens for game segments in X2. This occurs with drivers after 61.77. I've also noticed that all of these drivers cause graphics bus in Sims2 (my daughter's not mine, honest!!!). I can't help but think that there's a simple fix hidden in the INFs somewhere. I'll keep you posted if I find anything. But at least I can read the desktop properly now!