PDA

View Full Version : Asus A8V Deluxe or MSI K8N Neo2 PE

Strahd
04-01-05, 06:31 PM
If you had an FX-55, which motherboard would you get? I don't intend on overclocking right now but it may be an option later. Suggestions please.

Riptide
04-01-05, 06:34 PM
K8N Neo2 for overclocking.

A8V Deluxe if stock.

Any reason you don't want to go with a PCI-Express board? I think PCI-Express is kind of ahead of it's time so not really needed right now for the most part. But if I was buying a system from scratch I would get it.

Strahd
04-01-05, 07:14 PM
K8N Neo2 for overclocking.

A8V Deluxe if stock.

Any reason you don't want to go with a PCI-Express board? I think PCI-Express is kind of ahead of it's time so not really needed right now for the most part. But if I was buying a system from scratch I would get it.

I am not entirely convinced the SLI line is going just yet. Plus I have a eVGA 6800 Ultra exteme edition AGP card. I figure this card will last me a 1+ and that will should be enough time for me to see how SLI is going to end up.

I don't want to spend the money on a rig with SLI if they go to dual core cards. Unless they decide to do SLI with dual core cards :) 4 GPU's would be sweet. Anyway, I have my system built and was just considering changing the motherboard. I just decided when I built this system last month to wait on SLI to see which way it will go.

Riptide
04-01-05, 07:16 PM
Well if you have an Ultra Extreme that's certainly a compelling reason to stick w/AGP.

If it were me I'd stay with stock speeds and get the Asus. It's a good board. Not perfect, but a good board. The K8N Neo2 is a good overclocker but other than that I hated it.

keith33
04-02-05, 11:06 AM
I have not met a single person that has been happy with their Neo2 board, sure there are people on forums that say they got it running with insane overclocks, but stability wise it's a f***ing nightmare. Completely random stuff happens everyday, just when you think you got everything working perfectly, bam new error that you've never seen before. If you like projects, get the Neo2, if you want to set it and forget it, I would get the Asus. Personally, I'm never going to buy an MSI board ever again.

saturnotaku
04-02-05, 11:10 AM
My Neo2 was completely stable, but getting it physically in my case and connected to everything was a PITA because of the location of the power and IDE/floppy connectors. It's a very poorly laid out board and for that reason, I would go with the A8V or Abit board. Actually, I would lean towards the Abit in this case because I've never had good luck with Asus products.

jAkUp
04-02-05, 11:21 AM
Both are good boards, I would actually get the Epox nForce3 board instead of those 2...

I'm not too fond of Asus anymore,(and VIA chipsets for that matter) so I'm gonna have to go with the MSI K8N Neo2.

rohit
04-03-05, 08:09 AM
ASUS A8V deluxe.
I have heard many complaining about the MSI board. so i got this one. havent tried overcloking as yet.
If you want a real monster overcloker, then get the MSI board. But if you want a Good overclok and stability then get the A8V deluxe.
A8V is overall a better product. IMO.

Dr.Nick
04-03-05, 01:05 PM
Both are great boards but I likes the NF3 better. My neo2 has been going strong OCed 24/7 since they were released:)

Riptide
04-03-05, 01:14 PM
The Neo2 is a good overclocker but the onboard SATA controller is quirky. It randomly loses RAID arrays. SATA 1/2 aren't locked down. 3/4 are in a wierd place (over back by AGP slot). Early BIOS had temp reporting problems. The layout is garbage. Mine wouldn't POST at 250FSB.

So yeah I got rid of it... :thumbdwn:

As for the VIA K8T800 - it's a solid chipset. No question VIA has had some dogs, but the 800 series is an exception. I've owned two K8T800 boards now (Abit/Asus) and both were very stable, solid performers.

Strahd
04-04-05, 02:03 PM
Thanks all, I'll stick with my Asus!