PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with this?

Muppet
04-01-05, 11:03 PM
Does anyone know what this meanshttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/CraigCooper/untitled11.jpg

rewt
04-01-05, 11:30 PM
Does anyone know what this meanshttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/CraigCooper/untitled11.jpg

I've seen those errors before when I overclocked the graphics card too much. Although some people say it is also caused by a driver bug.

Muppet
04-02-05, 01:59 AM
I've seen those errors before when I overclocked the graphics card too much. Although some people say it is also caused by a driver bug.

The thing is my cards are not overclocked and it happens in windows as well, not just in 3d apps

rewt
04-02-05, 03:13 AM
What are the idle temps and which version of ForceWare drivers are installed?

Muppet
04-02-05, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the replys Rewt after your posts i decided to try different driver versions, i've been using the official 71.84 that give me this error. So i tried the official 66.93 and guess what no more errors, so it is a driver bug.I can overclock to 450 and 1200 still no errors, only problem is the bsod after i quite UT2004, but i can handle that.So thanks again for your help, very much appreciated.

rewt
04-02-05, 05:29 AM
Sure thing. I'm glad you got it fixed. :) Thats too bad about UT2004 tho :( Maybe the next release will fix both of these issues. Keep your fingers crossed ;)

ChrisRay
04-02-05, 05:39 AM
I am curious. Do you guys even know what the log means? I dont. But I'm not certain its a bug. I have had these logs in both my systems forever now.

JRd1st
04-02-05, 06:51 AM
It means that your card failed it's self test, and is being throttled back. When this happens, you will also see stutters at the times the card is being throttled. I don't know what criteria they use for "stress", but it's not just heat, because this happens at acceptable temps, too.

I used to get this when I overclocked too much, but some of these latest drivers give me this problem at stock settings. Like the 71.84's and the 72.30's. Any of the drivers that give me the "can't OC in SLi bug" also cause this. This "stress" is probably what causes the card to fail in overclocking.

The 76.41's are the only set I run anymore these days.

You can clear these errors by going into Administrative Tools>>>Event Viewer>>> and clear all the logs. Don't worry, they'll fill up again fast enough. :rolleyes:

Muppet
04-02-05, 07:12 AM
Well i 've tried several games and 3dmark05 with the 66.93 and overclocked to 450 gpu 1200 memory and there is nothing in the debug page

Muppet
04-02-05, 07:14 AM
I am curious. Do you guys even know what the log means? I dont. But I'm not certain its a bug. I have had these logs in both my systems forever now.

Yea Chris i've googled all over the place and no one had any idea other than rewt, so i tried his and wallah no more problems

ChrisRay
04-02-05, 08:18 AM
Hmm... Well I hope its not damaging.. heh. I'll see what I can find out.. but its the weekend.

Edit: Rivatuner isnt showing any clock throttling. And I've seen throttling on my 5900.. well at least the kind rivatuner recognised?

OWA
04-02-05, 09:59 AM
Does that message still show up even if you don't have the "Notify when GPU core temperature exceeds threshold" checked? I've never seen the warning even when overclocking my card a little too far but I don't have the option checked.

Muppet
04-03-05, 01:07 AM
Does that message still show up even if you don't have the "Notify when GPU core temperature exceeds threshold" checked? I've never seen the warning even when overclocking my card a little too far but I don't have the option checked.

Thats a good question i'll reload the driver and try it.Just got back from a lan party and after 6 hours of UT2004 still no errors in the debug page, so i'm pretty happy

rewt
04-03-05, 05:35 AM

I am using 71.84 with my coolbits 3d reg file (it checks that option by default) overclocked the card to 480/1000 and still get no errors showing on the debug page. So the driver doesn't seem to be buggy, at least on my end. Perhaps it is an issue with 6800 and SLi mode.

Lalander
04-03-05, 06:42 AM
I am using 71.84 with my coolbits 3d reg file (it checks that option by default) overclocked the card to 480/1000 and still get no errors showing on the debug page. So the driver doesn't seem to be buggy, at least on my end. Perhaps it is an issue with 6800 and SLi mode.

No, it's not SLi related since I have it too :(

Muppet
04-05-05, 08:10 AM

Just reinstalled the 71.84 and it make no difference if notify when gpu core temp is checked or not, i still get the debug errors.The funny thing is it's throttling down as the Leadteks are factory clocked at 425 gpu, and with the debug errors it goes down to 400.But with the 66.93s there is no throttling, it runs at 425 and is very stable plus i think the IQ is better.So i think its deffinatly is a driver problem

JRd1st
04-05-05, 09:03 AM
That's really weird. It's almost as if the driver decided that your card was overclocked and was trying to undo the OC. :rolleyes:

Big Brother is in the Drivers now! :eek: