PDA

View Full Version : What type fo mouse do you use Ball or Laser?

Pages : [1] 2

Vanzagar
04-01-05, 10:24 PM
Was wondering what the majority of people here use for mouse type and mouse pad please and how skilled u consider yourself:

I wanted to get a feel for how good you are and often you play also. I would say I am #2 and I prefer the Ball mouse for now and play about 8 or so hours a week. But I am trying out the Razer Diamonback laser mouse right now, experimenting with about 5 different mouse pads.

The reason I'm asking is cause I have been switching back and forth between laser and ball for quite awhile now. I recently bought the Razer Diamonback and am not real happy with it, yet it is suppose to be one of the best Laser mice around. In the past I've used other laser's including the Logitech MX800 and MX1000, and I hated all of them, they are too heavy and the curvature is bad or the accuracey and response of the others was not as good as my ball mouse.

I'd say the pros and cons of each are:

Ball Mouse:
pros = nice feel, good accuracey over tight space (i.e. small movements when trying to get that head shot from a distance or sniping). Told that ball mouse is more ergonimic and better for carpal tunnel syndrom (sp?)

cons = Swing 180deg doesn't work well (doesn't respond great to long fast sweeps. If a piece of cat hair gets in it while your playing you're screwed. Have to clean it about every 2 days (take out ball clean rollers and ball which takes a couple minutes). Not very consistent, over time I feel little bits of debris between cleanings really can effect my accuracy.

Laser Mouse:
pros = ok feel, can swing 180deg quickly and accuractely. NO CLEANING! Consistent over time

cons = The biggest for me is it's accuracy in a tight spot. If I turn the sensitivity way down then I can get near the ball mouse but then swinging 180deg takes 5 swipes. So the trade off for me is always tight accuracy vs. quick movement which are both equally important. I find in real tight shooting area, lets say from a distance trying to aim from a guys chest to his head with a pistol, the gun reticle (sp?) bounces around a bit on laser but not on ball. Not a lot just enough to be annoying.

Anyways wanting some opinions here, I guess my ideal mouse would involve: no cleaning, be consistent over time, allow quick 180deg turns, be light, good ergo feel and be real accurate in tight aiming area.

Thanks,

Vanz

SH64
04-01-05, 10:46 PM
Laser & cant imagine myself ever going back to ball .
i consider myself good at aiming . thats it .

jolle
04-02-05, 04:20 AM
been using optical mice for years now, first a Dual Optical, then MX700..
about to get a MX1000.

Vagrant Zero
04-02-05, 04:26 AM
I use an MX510 [Blue]. I heard these laser mice aren't quite so hot for gaming so I have no intention of changing mice just yet.

Toss3
04-02-05, 04:54 AM
I use an mx518 and I like it very much :) would never go back to a ballmouse again...

Slyder
04-02-05, 05:01 AM
I use this opticle Logitech mouse, accept mine is the white version which I dont think you can buy here in the UK any more so when this breaks I am stuffed because this is the best mouse I have ever used. :(

http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/746.gif

Linky Linky (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2142,CONTENTID=5928)

|MaguS|
04-02-05, 07:17 AM
Logitech MX510, I would put pro/elite (I put Dam Good) but I haven't played in a long time so Im alittle rusty, I use to play in Leagues. Last time I truly "owned" was like a week or so ago when I jumped onto a server that had office and just raped the T's every round with an MP5. Before getting kicked (ya, I was kicked) I had a score of like 20/5 or so...

nutcrackr
04-02-05, 08:22 AM
I've got this old ms laser one that is like 3+ years old, I think it's pretty good. Although the scans per second is lower than new ones it still does the job. Also I can't answer the ratio thing.

john19055
04-15-05, 03:10 AM
I love the Mx1000 I have and the accuracy of it is as good or better then any ball mouse that I have used.The optical mouses were pretty bad when they first came out lag like helll and I always used a ball mouse over the optcial ones but since the Mx 700 came out I had a change of heart and the new Mx1000 Laser is way better than the Mx700 IMO,It is more accurate and I have no trouble in my games,and Thank God no more cleaning the ball.

Vanzagar
04-15-05, 12:46 PM
I love the Mx1000 I have and the accuracy of it is as good or better then any ball mouse that I have used.The optical mouses were pretty bad when they first came out lag like helll and I always used a ball mouse over the optcial ones but since the Mx 700 came out I had a change of heart and the new Mx1000 Laser is way better than the Mx700 IMO,It is more accurate and I have no trouble in my games,and Thank God no more cleaning the ball.

I really don't see how you can use those logitech cordless mice or any cordless mice. The batteries add too much extra weight and really effect how fast your hand can move the mouse. Not to mention the extra weight adding extra stress to your arms. I am not prone to carpal tunnel, but if you play a lot of games I would assume you arm would be in bad shape. Just the fact that there is more weight means more inertia so by their vary nature they would not be as responsive. you may not think batteries are that heavy but compared to a light cord mouse they are.

Also, the profile of those Logitech mice I find horrible, what's with the big hump? I guess that's just a personal preferance of mine, but I find a lower profile it much more relaxing. I found when I used the Logitech for extended periods I would get a tight muscle feeling in my right mid forearm. I'm pretty sure it was due to the humped shape.

Anyways, I've never actually had carpal tunnel but I know a few that do and I'm very aware of it and try everything I can to steer clear of it, cause once you get it, it's a bitcch...

Vanz

ps. I got a bud at work that has to wear an arm brace every day now because of carpal tunnel and the mouse he used to use...

jAkUp
04-15-05, 02:41 PM
Using my MX518 :) Loving it to death

PSYCHODAD
04-15-05, 03:02 PM
MX310. Going to upgrade to the 518 soon.

Newegg says they won't have them till app. 5/6.

superklye
04-15-05, 06:24 PM
I still absolutely love my MX1000

saturnotaku
04-15-05, 06:25 PM
MX310. Going to upgrade to the 518 soon.

Newegg says they won't have them till app. 5/6.

Then go to Best Buy. Though not on their Web site, the stores do have 'em. jAkUp and I both got ours there today. :)

Roadhog
04-16-05, 12:05 AM
i use my MX1000

PSYCHODAD
04-16-05, 01:17 AM
Then go to Best Buy. Though not on their Web site, the stores do have 'em. jAkUp and I both got ours there today. :)
I would if I could find the time. Darn work schedule. The nearest store is in big Louisville, which is about 80m round trip. Oh well, I'll get it soon enough. :rolleyes:

ynnek
04-16-05, 02:10 AM
i'm using a mx310 too.. the mx518 looks tempting though.. I'll

einstein_314
04-16-05, 02:16 AM
Using a Logitech MX700 and loving it. I prefer a heavy mouse over a light one. It just takes a little getting used to.

pr0nasaurus rex
05-11-05, 12:23 AM
I'm a decent player, and I love my Microsoft Mouse 2.0.

I've had it for nigh on 10 years, and it's still going strong. It seems to strike a perfect balance between ergonomics and a solid, chunky feel. I really don't think dpi or exact precision is that important; 99% of pulling off headshots is skill, and since I'm so accustomed to this relic, I see no reason to switch.

I dabbled for about six months with an Intellimouse Explorer 4.0, but the left mouse button wore out (took WAY too much pressure to click, anyone else have this problem), and instead of replacing it, I went back to my old mouse.

mcolbourn
05-11-05, 04:07 AM
I use a Razer Diamondback Magma, it is one hell of a mouse!

jolle
05-11-05, 05:22 AM
Got my MX1000 now, sold my MX700 to a friend so the total cost wasnt much.
Works great, really like it, fits my hand a bit better then the MX700.
The mouse acceleration was a bit different and took a little while to get used to, its a bit lighter which I dont mind, but it feels a bit less "robust", bit more plastic..
Nice with sidescrolling wheel, not that I have ever needed it yet.

had to set Back and Forward to "Generic button" to get them to work in Firefox, but they work so its ok..
Have had some problems with binding buttons in some games, not fiddled too much with it yet tho.. CS:S works as it did before atleast..
Mwheelup = Primary, Mwheeldown = Secondary, ForwardThumb = Grenades, Backwardsthumb = knife..

Now if Logitech could only put out a 64bit compatible version of SetPoint..

zoomy942
05-11-05, 06:16 AM
logitech mx310

Serrasalmus
05-11-05, 11:35 AM
i use a microsoft trackball optical.......to me the thought of having to move your hole arm is just insane....

anzak
05-12-05, 04:15 PM
i use a microsoft trackball optical.......to me the thought of having to move your hole arm is just insane....

......to me the thought of playing any game with a trackball is insane....

oldsk00l
05-12-05, 04:30 PM
Considering I don't use a laser, or ball mouse...I couldn't vote :(