PDA

View Full Version : Need some overclocking advice please...

darthanakin23
04-02-05, 06:26 AM
O.K. I just got a BFG 6800 Ultra OC with the waterblock. I have it overclocked at 470 and 1.1, because BFG sold another card with the exact same block and it was limited edition and was clocked at 470 and 1.1. Now my question is, I should be safe at these clocks, but will this kill the life of my card? I always thought temperature was the only thing that kills life on your card. If that is true, then I shouldn't worry because after running mother nature and other benchmarks for 30 minutes, my max temperature is 55 celsius and thats at 470 and 1.1. Now what is your opinion? Will this overclock kill the life of my card or it won't since my temperature is so low? Thanks in advance for the help, I just don't want to shorten the life of my card.

Lfctony
04-02-05, 06:43 AM
I smell another one coming.

saturnotaku
04-02-05, 09:26 AM
Surprise! Not going to happen, at least today.

But I will say that if what you're doing is bothering you this much, put the card back at stock speeds and leave it alone.

By the way, if you're not monitoring your temperatures as you're running the benchmarks, you're not getting an accurate reading. If you have a dual display setup, you can have the monitor going on one display and the benchmark on the other. If you only have a single display, download the rthdribl demo (search for it) and run it in the window simultaneously with the the temperature monitor for about 30 minutes. The moment you exit out of a benchmark, the card's temperature will drop at least 5-10 degrees, more by the time you get the monitor window open. That would in reality put the card anywhere between 65-70 degrees at load, which is fine for a regular 6800U but is pretty lousy if it's water cooled.

$n][pErMan
04-02-05, 05:41 PM
MAKE A NOTE OF THIS ALL NEW OC PEOPLE!

Temps kill cards short term... but voltage slowly kills cards long term. *hint for someone else in another thread*

Scaramonga
04-02-05, 06:32 PM
MAKE A NOTE OF THIS ALL NEW OC PEOPLE!Temps kill cards short term... but voltage slowly kills cards long term. *hint for someone else in another thread*

Ah thats good to hear........not to bad then.......I replace my card every 6 months anyway.....so as long as it lasts that.....which I'm sure it will :) :)

;)

$n][pErMan
04-02-05, 07:16 PM
Ah thats good to hear........not to bad then.......I replace my card every 6 months anyway.....so as long as it lasts that.....which I'm sure it will :) :)

;)
You clock at 470mhz sounds high (you must have a good OC'er) ... but if you did not touch the voltage and it runs cool and stable... I dont see how it could die from that :)

nVidiaGuru
04-02-05, 08:21 PM
if you have a stable oc and your temps are good its very unlikely you will see the card die before it useless due to new technology. I had my 5900nu clocked at 550/1000 (thats 150mhz on the core and mem) for well over a year and never had a single problem. My comp stays on 24/7 for the most part too. At this rate with technology advancing so fast these cards are easily outdated within 2 years, and i dont think even a large OC would reduce the life of a card to 2 years

superklye
04-02-05, 08:37 PM

;)
I wish I had that kind of money

darthanakin23
04-03-05, 01:45 AM
Actually 470 isn't high at all. BFG made a 6800 Ultra OC with the same waterblock that came with mine and it was limited edition and it was clocked at 470 by default. That is the reason I clocked mine here, I thought since I have the same block and card why not? At max my temps stay at 55 celsius. I have not touched the BIOS or the voltage. When I clicked optimal frequency in Coolbits it said 469, so I just upped it by 1.

P.S. What is a good test to run to make sure oc is stable and for how long?

$n][pErMan
04-03-05, 03:12 AM
P.S. What is a good test to run to make sure oc is stable and for how long?
Just play some games and run some benchmarks ... if it runs great then it works. It will be obvious if anything is wrong. Unlike CPU... it will fail pretty fast if its messed up :p

gstanford
04-03-05, 03:57 AM
This is to serve as a reference for others (and to satisfy my own curiosity).

Card - Leadtek GF6 6800 GT (2 slot copper cooler) clocked at 410/1100 (could go higher, but I fail to see the point - am already at Ultra speeds). The card idles at 48 degrees celcius.

I set my desktop to 1280x96x32, opened the detonator temperature page and two (yes, two) instances of rthdribl, adjusted so I could see everything at once and waited 30 minutes. Temp hit a maximum of 64 degrees celcius, tried to go 65 a number of times, but never stayed there.

My case is a Coolermaster Stacker and it has a quiet 80mm side intake fan helping to ventilate the card, plus 3 120mm quiet fans (2 intake - 1 hdd cooler, 1 intake & 1 exhaust), plus a 80mm quiet blowhole fan.

The cpu has a Spire WhisperRock IV heatsink with a quiet 80mm fan, and the PSU has an adjustable speed 120mm fan helping out also.

For those who are curious, the two instances of rthdribl averaged 14 fps each - damn the 6800 series is a performance monster.

Scaramonga
04-03-05, 08:34 AM
damn the 6800 series is a performance monster

It sure is! :D

Nice bit of info there bud..............

darthanakin23
04-03-05, 07:22 PM
To conclude this thread, is saying that temperature and extra voltage kills the card right?

ChrisRay
04-03-05, 09:20 PM
To conclude this thread, is saying that temperature and extra voltage kills the card right?

Extreme tempatures over long periods of time, Maybe, Voltages over a short period of time is almost definate. If your cards are loading in 90C range. They are in no danger of frying. Overclocking always has the potential to damage hardware.

bkswaney
04-04-05, 02:16 AM
Extreme tempatures over long periods of time, Maybe, Voltages over a short period of time is almost definate. If your cards are loading in 90C range. They are in no danger of frying. Overclocking always has the potential to damage hardware.

For sure Chris.
As I always say u have to pay to play. :angel: