PDA

View Full Version : WTB:Anti-Rust/Anti-Freeze Liquid for Watercooling setup

Kickus_assius
04-02-05, 03:00 PM
I was wondering if anyone had some lying around or had access to a store that sells it as I don't. I am looking to pay cost + shipping. The glow-in-the-dark kind would be cool, but it is certainly not imperative.

PaiN
04-02-05, 06:42 PM
Save your self some time & money...get a $1.99 gallon of winterized(methol) winshield washer fuild. I've run it for years.

Kickus_assius
04-02-05, 08:36 PM
Really, that will work? It will be no problem getting it either as I live in Canada :). I do have water in it already, but I lost most of the coolant mix when I was putting the video card on the circuit so now it's mostly water. Is there anything I could buy at a hardware store that I could just add in with the water to make it rust-resistant?

Clay
04-02-05, 09:01 PM
Save your self some time & money...get a $1.99 gallon of winterized(methol) winshield washer fuild. I've run it for years.
I was curious about winshield washer fluid too (I'm working on my first watercooling article/guide (http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48525)). I did a lot of research and windshield washer fluid is appealing since some use up to 33% methanol (though you there should be some caution taken for flamability potential). Although, some wiper fluid also contains dyes, solvents, etc that don't add anything as far as cooling goes.

It's good to know that you've had no trouble, what brand have you used exactly and how often do you flush your system and refill?

I've decided on using a 15% mix of Prestone 5/150 Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant with the rest of the mix being distilled water (ozonated, reverse osmosis and UV treated) that you can buy for <$1 per gallon at any grocery store.

The Prestone 5/150 contains: Ethylene glycol Diethylene glycol Sodium 2-Ethyl Hexanoate Sodium Neodecanoate

I also considered Water Wetter but it's been shown to cause cracking in acrylics and some plastics as it contains some orgranic solvents.

The catch-22 that I've learned about antifreeze (glycol) is that it can reduce your flow as it has a higher viscosity than water. Most people suggest going with a 15% mix to reduce this effect but that also reduces its corrosion inhibitors effectiveness. A 50% mix would be more desireable for preventing corrosion but then your viscosity is quite a bit higher than you'd like.

Sorry to go on so long, I'm just really interested in some more details about your experience with windshield washer fluid. The methanol does make it more acidic though with a pH usually below 7 in a 50/50 mix. Acidic solutions are where you can foster algae growth...so I'd like to stay more alkaline (the Prestone 15% mix will give me 8.5pH (which is a bit high actually, anything over that can attack aluminum). Have you used anything to offset algae growth like Erythromycin? Or do you just not have any problems being more acidic?

Thanks for anything you can share from your experiences. :)

PaiN
04-02-05, 09:04 PM
Auto winter window washer fluid is cheap....it has excellent heat transfer properties(mostly H2O), the alcohol content prevents any bio growth, it is very light and free flowing, noncorrosive and it is blue ....what more could you ask :)

honest, I've used it for years....it works great

PaiN
04-02-05, 09:09 PM
Clay...WaterWetter killed an old Z4 Blizzard liquid system I once had..I'd never touch the stuff again. :thumbdwn:
As for brands of washer fluid...I've never payed attention to that....just bought the simple, cheap, winter stuff

edit....I tried the Koolance fluid, but after a few months I started to notice growth in my block, so I flushed out the system, and went back to the washer fluid.

Clay
04-02-05, 09:26 PM
Great! Thanks for the info PaiN. :thumbsup:

Yeah, plain old distilled water is the best if simply going by viscosity (very low) and water has the highest specific heat. Additives are necessary primarily for biological growth prevention and anti-corrosion. Have you experienced any corrosion issues with washer fluid? I suppose that if you did it wouldn't be anything that a yearly cleaning of the waterblocks couldn't fix.

PaiN
04-02-05, 09:44 PM
Like I said no problems at all......my blocks and tubing are pristine.
The fluid does evaporate alittle, about every two months I have to add a small amount

Clay
04-02-05, 09:48 PM
Excellent, thanks again. :)

retsam
04-03-05, 10:10 AM
wow this is a great thread thanks for the info guys

bkswaney
04-04-05, 01:10 AM
I use the koolance stuff.
But I've been reading about other
stuff too.
The koolance is great but u need to change