PDA

View Full Version : Drivers for Win XP 64 Bit

Peoples-Agent
04-03-05, 06:34 AM
Hi peeps,

Can someone point me in the direction of how those 71.84s for Windows 64 perform? .....does Coolbits work ...etc etc

Just gathering intel before the change over which isn't too far down the line no doubt.

Are there any users in here currently running an XP 64 rig?

- D -

jolle
04-03-05, 08:13 AM
Well most games I tried run better or the same.
CS:S seems to have the same "max fps" but higher "min fps", doesnt drop as much when the bomb goes of and such, prolly CPU related tho.

Coolbits works, rivatuner doesnt (has a 64bit version in beta testing tho), V-Tuner II wont install (temp monitor program from Gigabyte).
Deamontools doesnt work (no tools that requires a driver works, unless they HAVE a 64bit driver), Filedisk64 gets the job done tho, and DT 64bit is in closed beta test.
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is the only game I havent been able to run, the demo works tho, guess its the copy protection that isnt compatible with XP64 or something, starforce or what its called.
This is on RC2.

Im definatly getting XP64 as soon as I can.

Peoples-Agent
04-03-05, 08:30 AM
Filedisk64, cool ....bit worried about the temp monitoring sitch , but suppose I can live without. Yeah, I think I will go for it ....!

Thanks dude...!

mikedep333
04-03-05, 01:19 PM
I also have been using the 71.84's for windows xp x64. However, I have been using them on the official RTM version (build 1830) (note that it does have activation).
They install and work fine. Like Jolle said, everything runs the same or a tad faster and coolbits and filedisk work fine.

Peoples-Agent
04-03-05, 02:59 PM
I have hit a stumbling block , Hamachi isn't yet supported I don't think :-/

Having spending all day to work that out ....

Basically its a program which enables you to create a virtual network / LAN so you can play games online over it ....as if it were a LAN.

Know of anything similar that can be used in XP 64?

jolle
04-03-05, 07:34 PM
Havent heard of any tools like that, a friend mentioned battlelan once but I think that was pretty sketchy, could always check it out..

and for temp monitoring, I guess most users can use the Forceware temp monitor, I never could and I guess Gigabyte went with a different sensor then reference design..
And for CPU speedfan prolly works, or Everst Home (Which I tried and it works)

This is a pretty good resource on the x64:
http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?act=idx

has to use their guide to edit .msi files, to get Doom III to install today.
Have to open the .msi in a editor, remove the OS check, copy all the CDs onto my HD and replace the .msi with the edited one then install from the HD.
Bit of a hassle but it worked.

mikedep333
04-04-05, 11:52 AM
has to use their guide to edit .msi files, to get Doom III to install today.
Have to open the .msi in a editor, remove the OS check, copy all the CDs onto my HD and replace the .msi with the edited one then install from the HD.
Bit of a hassle but it worked.

You can also copy over the installed files of doom3 and just run it.

jolle
04-04-05, 11:58 AM
cant patch it if it isnt installed, if you mean simply copying the files from the CDs and run it?
I noticed it still worked after I formated my XP partition and installed XP64, but since its not "registred" its not patchable.

zoomy942
04-04-05, 12:47 PM
in tried out 64 windows, it was pretty nice. i thought my games were slower with 64bit, but i realized i had been testing out some 2T command rate ram, so when i went back to my good stuff, everything was very fast again

Peoples-Agent
04-04-05, 01:12 PM
I have gone back to 32 bit , .....it was a nice efficient OS, I thought it was sweet as.... but it just couldn't run hardly any of my previous apps and very good alternative replacements, looks promising though ....will consider changing over once it has more support.

Electronic Punk
04-08-05, 07:50 AM
I am on x64 now and will be sticking with it. Need to get a few driver bugs hammered out, but it all seems good :)

Greasy
04-08-05, 09:22 AM
I've been using x64 for a week now, and I love it. Even got my HP printer working.

I do wish they would leak the 76 series driver for it though.

jAkUp
04-08-05, 09:25 AM
Too bad those drivers still don't support SLI I think :(

zoomy942
04-08-05, 09:27 AM
I've been using x64 for a week now, and I love it. Even got my HP printer working.

I do wish they would leak the 76 series driver for it though.

what makes it likeable? it's interesting to see what things about it make people enjoy the 64bit xp

jolle
04-08-05, 09:50 AM
free speedboosts in most games, bit snappier to the feel of it, and with the minimal hassle..
In a while when most companies get some 64bit drivers out, fixes for the things that DO have problems etc is out, then it will be even better..
mainly waiting for Logitech atm..

zoomy942
04-08-05, 10:35 AM
the main thing i am waiting for it AMD Cool n Quiet for windows 64

jolle
04-08-05, 04:49 PM
yeah a CnQ enabled CPU driver would have been nice..
One would think AMD would be the first out the door with 64bit drivers hehe..

UclaBob
04-08-05, 05:40 PM
I'm waiting for SLI support.

Sovereignxp
04-09-05, 01:47 AM
I will be going 64 Bit when I get a new rig in a few months. I will get XP64 and then give ya the lowdown.

Rakeesh
04-09-05, 02:46 AM
x64 would be much better if the games would take advantage of it. Hopefully they will begin to soon.

Electronic Punk
04-10-05, 01:12 PM
Well they fixed the bug I was having. Got my VST score up to 150 :o