PDA

View Full Version : NEED Help with new drivers (plz)

rohit
04-03-05, 07:58 AM
Jus installed these new drivers from leadtek 71.84, and since the first boot there has been an increase in the 2d TEMPS. It used to be 52*C - 55*C.
After installing 71.84 drivers it has increased to 66*C - 68*C (IDLE). :( :eek:

Now, even the leadtek utility to detect temps shows me these HI- temps. :mad:

So is this a display driver problem or wot.?

also there are some new options in this driver. wat values do i use for these.
Force MipMaps : TRILINEAR (i always set it to trilinear)
Trilinear filter optimisation: ?
AnisTropic Mip Filter Optimisation:?
Anistropic Sample optimisation:?
Negative LOD Bias:?

P.S.: I used 67.03 WHQL drivers before these.

Toss3
04-03-05, 09:27 AM
Jus installed these new drivers from leadtek 71.84, and since the first boot there has been an increase in the 2d TEMPS. It used to be 52*C - 55*C.

Yup I got the same temp increase with these drivers... I'm using the 76.41's now and the temp bug is fixed and they give me the same performance increase :)

I don't think settin force mipmaps to trilinear will make any difference, or I can't at least spot the difference when set to none or Trilinear.

All the other optimisations should be turned off for best image quality, cuz' you can actually notice the difference using these :)

Negative LOD Bias should be set to clamp if you have the stutter problem in games...

Hope this helps! :cool:

rohit
04-03-05, 09:48 AM
Hmm. actually i was scared because even my cpu temps incresed by 4*C. i have no clue why.
as for NEGATIVE bias, i donno wats STUTTER. so i dont even know wheather i am getting any stuttering problems or no.

NemesisChild
04-03-05, 10:41 AM

Where have you been for the past several weeks?
There is a temp bug with a number of the 7x.xx drivers, including 71.84!
Try the 76.41 driver, it's the latest beta driver w/o the temp bug.
I wouldn't mess with the trilinear, etc. settings.
Just leave it at the Quality setting, all other settings are then at default.

PikachuMan
04-03-05, 04:47 PM
Negative LOD Bias should be set to clamp if you have the stutter problem in games...

Negative LOD clamp has nothing to do with stuttering. According to the Forceware Release 70 User guide (ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/71.84/71.84_ForceWare_Release_70_Graphics_Display_Proper ty_Users_Guide.pdf) (Page 152):

Applications sometimes use negative LOD bias to sharpen texture filtering, which sharpens the stationary image but introduces aliasing when the scene is in motion. Anisotropic filtering provides texture sharpening without unwanted aliasing, so it is desirable to clamp LOD bias (move the Negative LOD bias status slider to the Clamp setting) when anisotropic filtering is enabled for better image quality.

So, pretty much it fixes "shimmering" issues. It's best just not to touch it, since it's by default "Clamp" when Anisotropic filtering is on, and "Allow" otherwise.

EverGreen
04-03-05, 05:47 PM
Yooo Rohit, look first around, whole Nv-news been spammed the last weeks with the temp-bug, with 76.41 they been gone for ever.

jolle
04-03-05, 07:41 PM
OC to 402 on the Core will drop the temp again, or did so for me and most others.
bit wierd but Im not complaining hehe..

And for reference, stuttering is when the game is choppy, or pauses fractions of a second then and then, "unsmooth" even if your FPS is high..
And like PikachuMan said, the LOD clamp isnt related to stuttering.

rohit
04-03-05, 11:20 PM
And for reference, stuttering is when the game is choppy, or pauses fractions of a second then and then, "unsmooth" even if your FPS is high..
And like PikachuMan said, the LOD clamp isnt related to stuttering.

Ok now sumthing like that happend 2wice after i changed from 67.03 to 69.xx sumthing (dont remember).
I was playing CSS on net, and after 5 mins or so, the FPS dropped down to 4 (all of a sudden) and i culdnt move, as if it was Frame Per 5 seconds, i.e.. after 5 seconds, each frame progressed. This continued for 1 - 2 mins, and the PING in this period went to 1400ms. was really abnormal and strange. then after 2mins all was back to normal. this happend after every 8 - 10mins. I realised it was a driver issue, so i switched back to 67.03.
& just for refrence wats shimmering?

PikachuMan
04-04-05, 12:17 AM
Ok now sumthing like that happend 2wice after i changed from 67.03 to 69.xx sumthing (dont remember).
I was playing CSS on net, and after 5 mins or so, the FPS dropped down to 4 (all of a sudden) and i culdnt move, as if it was Frame Per 5 seconds, i.e.. after 5 seconds, each frame progressed. This continued for 1 - 2 mins, and the PING in this period went to 1400ms. was really abnormal and strange. then after 2mins all was back to normal. this happend after every 8 - 10mins. I realised it was a driver issue, so i switched back to 67.03.
& just for refrence wats shimmering?

That's not stuttering. With stuttering, there isn't an prolonged drop in framerate, it's just the the gameplay doesn't feel smooth, although the framerate supposedly high.

More likely what your experiences was something running in the background (P2P apps, maybe a virus/spyware) started sucking up all your bandwidth and CPU power.

Shimmering is hard to describe. It's basically you notice motion where there should be none. Like when you are playing a FPS and you notice the ground a few meters ahead having 'noise' when you move.

rohit
04-04-05, 01:36 AM
That's not stuttering. With stuttering, there isn't an prolonged drop in framerate, it's just the the gameplay doesn't feel smooth, although the framerate supposedly high.

More likely what your experiences was something running in the background (P2P apps, maybe a virus/spyware) started sucking up all your bandwidth and CPU power.

Shimmering is hard to describe. It's basically you notice motion where there should be none. Like when you are playing a FPS and you notice the ground a few meters ahead having 'noise' when you move.
:p sounds GREEK to English!

anyways, glad to find out i didnt suffer FROM either of em.
Thank Yu all for posting.

macatak
04-04-05, 01:50 AM
The best way to view 'shimmering' is when you run the VST in Counterstrike, look closely at the wall at the end of the corridor just before you go round the last corner and see the exit door :)

jolle
04-04-05, 11:42 AM
The best way to view 'shimmering' is when you run the VST in Counterstrike, look closely at the wall at the end of the corridor just before you go round the last corner and see the exit door :)

I manually set the LOD to a negative value in Rivatuner, and boy was that a spectacular shimmerfest on everything in CS:S, reminds a bit of the time before 3d acceleration and filtered textures, but alot more high res...
I think its the result of the mipmaps (smaller instances of the texture) having pixels that are smaller then the acctual pixels on screen..
The further away a texture is, the larget the pixels in the mipmap will have to be, if they LOD goes negative they can be smaller then your acctual pixels, and then it starts to shimmer..
not 100% sure, but I THINK its something along those lines..

rohit
04-05-05, 07:08 AM
i dont think this is related, but i feel it is.
from the time i installed these new drivers (71.84), my GPU temp increased to 65 from 52-54, also has the AMBIENT temp from 42 - 52. This makes me beleve, that the ambient temp is calculated on the basis of the GPU temp. i removed the side panel of my case and neither the GPU TEMP nor THE ambient temp decreased :confused:

with that said, WHY HAS THE MOBO and CPU TEMPS increased from the time of installation of these drivers :eek: the idle cpu temps have increased from 36 to 41, and fan speed has increased fom 2300 to 3300. :'(