PDA

View Full Version : Could a burning hot chipset cause computer to reboot?

Toss3
04-03-05, 09:40 AM
Hello!

My computer just rebooted two times and when I touched the components inside my computer, to see which one was running hot enough for the computer to reboot, I almost burned my hand touching my chipset cooler :-S

I've got an MSI 865PE Neo2-P Platinum Edition mobo, and I was just wondering if this could be the reason why my computer is rebooting? And could this affect my overclocks and cause small stuttering in games?

Thnx

jAkUp
04-03-05, 10:16 AM
That board has a passive cooler correct?

Can you see the temp in the bios?

retsam
04-03-05, 10:16 AM
well it depends on what your defenition of hot is. you should take a temp probe to it and see what the temp is. but if it is that hot i would bet it is over heating that is one of the symtoms of over heating. oh ya you should also see if other components are running hot

Toss3
04-03-05, 11:32 AM
well it depends on what your defenition of hot is. you should take a temp probe to it and see what the temp is. but if it is that hot i would bet it is over heating that is one of the symtoms of over heating. oh ya you should also see if other components are running hot

All the other components in my computer is watercooled except my ram... But it's not running nearly as hot as my chipset.

EDIT: Just checked the BIOS and no chipset temperature :-/ I could watercool it, but the mobo doesn't have any holes, so what should I do?

Viffer5
04-03-05, 12:16 PM
Put a fan on it or downclock your system. New drivers might help but not likely.

Toss3
04-03-05, 12:33 PM
Put a fan on it or downclock your system. New drivers might help but not likely.
Don't like fans cuz' they're noisy... so I'll probably come up with a way to watercool it :) but htnx for all your help!

Dr.Nick
04-03-05, 01:18 PM
Yes, it is probably causin all your probs. Nothing in your PC should ever be too hot to touch. I would take off the hsf and reapply some thermal paste as MSI is not known as the best at that. Ive seen some of they're boards with not a single drop of paste....simply amazing lol