PDA

View Full Version : Random Freezes w/ BFG 6800GT (not O/C'd)

zillatech
04-03-05, 02:40 PM
I am having problems with H/L-2 freezing up for about 10 seconds or so then working again. I'm running Version 61.76 Drivers because the last (2) WHQL Drivers from Nvidia created Random freezes in UT2004 & really made Doom III performance terrible. I know there is another thread similar to my issue but I'm not over-clocking anything and kinda stuck because my current drivers work the best "overall" but they are really old now. The newest drivers from Nividia made the freezing problem much worse accross the board.

Does anyone know how to fix this??? :confused:

My System Specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (939)
Thermaltake SK8 (Silent Boost)
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (latest Bios)
2x512MB, Corsair PC3200XL DDR (2-2-2-5) (1t)
BFG 6800GT OC
22” Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
2x74GB WD Raptor Hard Drives
Creative Audigy2 Sound Card
Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra Speakers

zillatech
04-03-05, 04:01 PM
Update:

I just got off the phone w/ BFG Tech Support & it turns out that the 12v Rail from my PS Unit is only putting out 2.11v (it should be 12v) & she said that 90% of the time the 12v rail ie: not getting enough voltage to your 6800's causes those "Random Lockups", especially in newer games that are taxing the video cards much more because they are drawing more power. I'm not sure that my PS is bad right now but it's either that or there are too many other devices plugged in on the dongles taking too much voltage from the 12v rail.

I do have an “Antec” True Power 550W Power Supply & thought I had the Video Card connected so as not to share too much power with other devices but I'll have to check that out to verify.

I just wanted to post this update because it seems very relevant to so many other problem posts with similar symptoms. I'll update this later when I have solved the problem.

PS: BFG had me download a free utility to check the current voltage (in Windows) on the 12v rail. You can find it here:

http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

Download the Home Version, install it & then go to: (Within the Program)

"Computer" > "Sensor" to see what your current 12v power is.

Scaramonga
04-03-05, 04:22 PM
11.67v..............lol

Clockwork
04-03-05, 05:17 PM
Have you tried disabling Fastwrites in your BIOS? I was having stutters/pauses while playing Cold Fear and Brothers in Arms. This seemed to fix the problem.

zillatech
04-03-05, 05:49 PM
No. but I'll try that ~

I really hope it works ~

If not, then I'l pursue the PS path ~

NemesisChild
04-03-05, 06:09 PM
Your Antec 550w PSU should be providing ample power to your GT.
However, it should be on a dedicated 12v rail (very important).
Good luck......

zillatech
04-03-05, 07:46 PM
Well, I have disabled "Fast Writes" in the Bios and so far ... "No Problems".

It seems to have done the trick but I need more time to test.

Will Keep everyone posted ...

~ Z ~