PDA

View Full Version : Safe temperatures for a P4 2.4B?

Subtestube
04-04-05, 12:43 AM
I've already asked this in a thread started by someone else, but lacking any replies there I though I'd post it here. Basically I've just made my first foray into experimenting with overclocking my CPU, and I wondered, 'how hot is too hot?' As this system is fairly important and I do many things besides gaming, I certainly won't be running Overclocked most of the time, but in newer games I'm really feeling the limitations of the 2.4 GHz, and was hoping for a little more power to tide me over until some time next year, when I'll replace the whole system, upgrade to PCIe, and get myself a Dual-Core of whichever chip manufacturer (AMD or Intel) are performing the best at the time.

In any case, in my early experimentations I've taken the chip up to a clear 2.6 gig, which is pretty tame in my understandings of overclocks. Usually the chip idles around 30 degrees C, and at 2.6 gig it's sitting at around 34 degrees C on idle. Under load (Prime 95 torture test) it gets up 54 degrees when overclocked. So... for a chip like this, how hot should be the highest I can safely allow? I should note that due to cashflow constraints I'm not going to be re-vamping my case to get better airflow or buying a new aftermarket cooler. Because I really can't afford the replacement risk, I also won't be voltmodding - all overclocks will *just* be adjustments of the FSB.

Cheers for any help any of you can offer.

Oh, I should say, I've already searched these forums for this AND googled for it. I was unable to find the precise info I was looking for. Although the Intel site claims this thing is certified up to 71 degrees (at least, I think that's what they were claiming), I'm not sure I trust that, and would like opinions from the experienced souls at these grand forums.

MustangSVT
04-04-05, 12:55 AM
My dad's P4 gets to about 57C I think. This is a 2.4B oc'ed to 2.93 or so on stock voltage and stock Intel cooler. It was running at like 2.57ghz for the first year and a half or so, and for the past one year been running at around 2.86-2.93, was running 3.01 at one point but only for a month since Halo would crash, so we took it down to 2.93 at which its fully stable.

bkswaney
04-04-05, 01:42 AM
I use to see 50's back when I had one on air.

Subtestube
04-05-05, 05:50 PM
I know I really shouldn't bump this, but I'll give it one try and then give up. Any other opinions? The two replies so far have been great, but does anyone else have a guideline as to safe temps?