PDA

View Full Version : Utilitiy Recommendation: Viewing Nvidia Temperature Trends

dugn
04-04-05, 02:53 AM
I'm looking for a utility or tool that will track the temperature of my ASUS Nvidia 6800 Ultra Deluxe GPU so I can view a graph of tempertatures before I start gaming, during the game, then after the game. I don't care if it overlays this data over the game screen or if it captures it for later use once the game is over.

Since I want to capture in-game GPU temps, I need something more sophisticated than the NVidia temperature gauge in the Windows Display Properties Control Panel. I'm hoping there's something out there like the Windows Task Manager - but for but for my NVidia GPU - that displays graphs or some way of tracking GPU temperature changes. Smart Doctor doesn't do it (does Smart Doctor's reporting features even work with a 6800?). RivTuner has great tuning features, but doesn't capture and display GPU temps. Motherboard Monitor doesn't do it.

Since I *know* people have tracked their NVidia GPU temps for reviews and overclocking, there's got to be a utility out there to do this. Can someone help?

System Specs:
Intel D865PERL w/ P4 3.2E w/ 2GB RAM
Asus 6800 Ultra Deluxe w/ modified NV 5 Silencer (Rev 2)
Intel SATA RAID 2x 400 GB array (773 GB total)
Sony flat-panel 1920x1200

Subtestube
04-04-05, 03:05 AM
Give speedfan a go - it *might* work for you. Be warned though, it's pretty good, but not 100% stable. I've never had it actually impinge on gaming performance, but periodically (like, one out of five times I have it running) it'll misread GPU temp and crash.

jolle
04-04-05, 04:40 AM
Rivatuner has a monitor with "history" doesnt it?
or maybe that is only for Frequencies and voltages..

Subtestube
04-04-05, 07:01 AM
It does, but as he says, Rivatuner doesn't do temp monitoring for his card. Some of the manufacturers (Gigabyte, ASUS) use proprietary monitors, and you can only use their software. As RT uses Forceware's temp monitoring, if FW doesn't monitor the temp, then RT can't either.

Master Champion
04-04-05, 07:19 AM
Strange, RivaTuner showed me the temps of my ASUS GeForce 6800 Ultra Deluxe... However SmartDoctor didn't work with my card...

Is there a utility to log the temps of two cards (SLI)? Rivatuner doesn't work for me...

ChrisRay
04-04-05, 07:27 AM
Rivatuner, Or even I use Ntune nowadays since it supports SLI.

jolle
04-04-05, 08:28 AM
It does, but as he says, Rivatuner doesn't do temp monitoring for his card. Some of the manufacturers (Gigabyte, ASUS) use proprietary monitors, and you can only use their software. As RT uses Forceware's temp monitoring, if FW doesn't monitor the temp, then RT can't either.

I never learn lol.. read to fast..
And I should know that, my Gigabyte uses nonreference sensors..
Then I guess SpeedFan is the best bet then, supports a wide range of sensors..
Never cared much for it tho.. Everest Home has some monitoring capabilities, dont remember if it worked on my card tho..

dugn
04-04-05, 03:53 PM
SPEEDFAN did it! Thanks guys - I never would have found this on my own (thanks Subtestube!).

I haven't figured out if I can adjust the sample rate of the graph, but SPEEDFAN was EXACTLY what I needed. I ran it, left it going while playing a GPU-intensive game, then exited the game to see a very useful graph of the heat spike during the game and the temperature recovery afterward. Very kewl!

I loaded RivaTuner, but didn't see an option to monitor GPU temps like Master Champion suggested. I'll fiddle with it some more and see if its a hidden feature somewhere...

Thanks all!

jcniest5
04-04-05, 04:39 PM
How did you get the GPU temp reading? I tried it and nothing about GPU temp in any of the display.

dugn
04-04-05, 04:50 PM
I clicked the CONFIGURE button from the Readings tab and was able to identify my NVidia card as reporting through 'Local Temp' and 'Remote Temp' by the BUS value (I2CNVidia SMBus). Once I figured that out, I selected these two items on the Charts tab and let it rip.

Presto! Instant temp results!