PDA

View Full Version : NOLF GOTY in SLI mode problems

monkeydust
04-04-05, 08:36 AM
When I try running No One Lives Forever GOTY edition in SLI my screen scrambles with big horizontal lines. I've tried Single, Alternate and Split and the same results. Anyway to get this to run?

Using the 71.84 drivers now.

(Wasn't sure if this should go in Games or Drivers section)

Grestorn
04-04-05, 09:08 AM
How did you change the SLI settings?

Unfortunately, NOLF uses the same executable as any other lithtech game (lithtech.exe).

nVidia delivers a profile with their current drivers for Tron 2.0, and this profile also uses lithtech.exe. So unless you delete the Tron 2.0 profile, you will always get wrong settings for NOLF.

I'd recomment using nHancer (www.nhancer.com) to manage your profiles, btw :)

monkeydust
04-04-05, 09:36 AM
Yes, I used nHancer to set up a profile for NOLF to try the different settings and they all looked the same. Not sure what you mean by lithtech.exe, I execute nolf.exe to run it. I have not seen this problem on any other game that I have installed (about 10 or so installed).

Grestorn
04-04-05, 03:50 PM
Yes, I used nHancer to set up a profile for NOLF to try the different settings and they all looked the same. Not sure what you mean by lithtech.exe, I execute nolf.exe to run it. I have not seen this problem on any other game that I have installed (about 10 or so installed).
The exe you start a game with is not neccessarily the exe that's actually running during the game.

You should check the task manager while the game is running and note all exes that are present, but are missing when the game is not running.

I know that NOLF 2 uses lithtech.exe, but I'm not 100% sure about NOLF 1. But I'm pretty sure that the problem lies in the exe your profile is using.

monkeydust
04-04-05, 09:03 PM
Thanks, Grestorn. You were right on the money. I switched it to use lithtech.exe and my settings worked fine (although they were initially shared with Tron 2.0 for this .exe).

Game runs great now.

ChrisRay
04-04-05, 09:58 PM
The exe you start a game with is not neccessarily the exe that's actually running during the game.

You should check the task manager while the game is running and note all exes that are present, but are missing when the game is not running.

I know that NOLF 2 uses lithtech.exe, but I'm not 100% sure about NOLF 1. But I'm pretty sure that the problem lies in the exe your profile is using.

I'm not really a filesystem expert. But Nvidia somehow solved this problem with directories for its profiles. Like the ATI tech demos are labeled Car\SushiX.exe since all ATI tech demos seem to use SushiX.exe does nhancer have similar capabilities for setting up profiles? Or is this not really a work around?

Grestorn
04-05-05, 03:13 AM
I'm not really a filesystem expert. But Nvidia somehow solved this problem with directories for its profiles. Like the ATI tech demos are labeled Car\SushiX.exe since all ATI tech demos seem to use SushiX.exe does nhancer have similar capabilities for setting up profiles? Or is this not really a work around?
Well, actually there was a version of nHancer, where you could choose which part of the path name you'd like to include with the executable, e.g.

"lithtech.exe" or "NOLF\lithtech.exe" or "Program Files\NOLF\lithtech.exe".

I figured since nVidia is providing profiles that are using expanded executables like this, it's a common feature of the driver. Unfortunately, I was not able to get the driver to distinguish between NOLF and Tron 2.0. As soon as I used "NOLF2\lithtech.exe" (the directory is named like this on my machine) or "NOLF2/lithtech.exe", the driver wouldn't recognize the game anymore.

So I removed that feature again, since it doesn't work consistently. But if you like, I'll add it again (it's just a flip of a switch), so you can experiment with it...