PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2003 + 6800GT = DirectX 3???

lmfs
04-05-05, 08:05 AM
Hmm ... I've been trying to solve this for several days now but without any success whatsoever.

No matter what I do the Nvidia display control panel applet displays "DirectX 3" and applications reports anything from (DDraw/DX) version 3 to 6.

I've tried anything I can think of, even slipstreaming a Win 2003 install with Nvidia drivers just in case. Tested with several (XP) driver versions up to the unofficial 76.41.

Running on a Nforce3 250 motherboard with a 6800GT.

Anyone know anything about this?

(Was going to use Windows 2003 as a graphics workstation but it looks like I'll have to return to Win2K ...)

Toss3
04-05-05, 08:19 AM
I've got to ask you this... Have you even installed DirectX9c?

rewt
04-05-05, 08:19 AM
Yup same thing on my end...

http://img46.exs.cx/img46/7150/dx32io.th.png (http://img46.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img46&image=dx32io.png)

But DXDiag still reports DX 9.0c What applications are you having trouble running?

lmfs
04-05-05, 08:43 AM
Exactly the same thing as you rewt, even after a fresh install with integrated nforce 6.53 whql (smbus, ethernet, pci, ide) and graphics 71.84 whql drivers - just to make sure the setup didn't disable anything (took me a day to create that setup cd ...).

If you look at the registry key:

HKLM\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak\State

You'll notice that a new key is added the first time the control panel applet is started, "DXVersion", which list the correct DirectX version but also some internal version "300". You can delete the entire key as it will be recreated the next time you open the control panel applet.

(I'm not at that particular machine right now so the keys might be a bit off but if you look in the registry at/around that position you'll see what I mean)

At the moment, I have absolutely no idea where to go next. I even tried some custom made drivers as the XTreme-G ones but without any success.

And yes, installation of DirectX completes in 0.2ms without installating anything.

(btw, the 6.53 "whql" ethernet driver isn't properly signed, incorrect authenticode version)

yakumo
04-05-05, 09:48 AM
i used to run a 2k3 trial, dx 9.0c used to install regulally on a 2k3 install, have you installed SP1? could SP1 have barred DX for security now?

start -> run -> dxdiag <enter>

see what that says.

oh, and in display properties -> advanced -> troubleshoot -> put the hardware acceleration to full , it gets re-set every time you install a new gfx driver.

and you probably want to enable write combining there too if it isn't.

lmfs
04-05-05, 10:18 AM
It's a 2003 Standard Server, slipstreamed SP1 install. With the latest DX as included in SP1.

Acceleration and write combining already on - but nothing more than DirectX 3 ...

rewt
04-05-05, 04:41 PM
At the moment, I have absolutely no idea where to go next.

If you're strictly looking for a gaming machine then I'd suggest running 2000 Pro (workstation) or XP as your main OS. Server 2003 is just that, a server operating system. It was not in any way designed for gaming. Nor does nVidia seem to support it very well.

lmfs
04-06-05, 01:26 AM
If you're strictly looking for a gaming machine then I'd suggest running 2000 Pro (workstation) or XP as your main OS. Server 2003 is just that, a server operating system. It was not in any way designed for gaming. Nor does nVidia seem to support it very well.

Problem is ... That this was not intended as a gaming machine. It was meant to be a test if Windows 2003 (Server) could be used, and replace, our current graphics stations running Windows 2000 Pro - for various reasons, updates/viruses/management and so on.

But at the moment it looks like we have to scrap that idea. We have some custom plugins for our CAD and rendering applications which fails on 2003 due to the "DirectX 3" feature.

Funny thing is, though - that DirectX seem to work *if* you (the app) don't do any detection but rather just go ahead with DX9 interfaces. So badly behaved apps work :) But not our essential CAD packages :(

It "feels" like Windows 2003, or the NVidia drivers, blocks or hides the real capabilities. Intentionally or not.

michaelj
04-11-05, 08:08 PM
This is only the bug of 2003