PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with MOBO Upgrade

MamoVaka
04-05-05, 12:03 PM
Ok I have an AGP BFG 6800 ULTRA OC, I need to upgrade my motherboard and CPU to the best AMD possible, what is the best non SLI AMD motherboard out? also what processor do you recommend the fx-55 or 4000+?

six_storm
04-05-05, 12:15 PM
I have the ASUS A8V Deluxe Mobo with a Athlon 64 3200+ 939 Skt. I love it, it does very excellent on gaming! Plus ASUS is a very good brand to buy for anything PC wise. Just my recommendation though. As far as the CPU, I wouldn't know what to tell you. Aren't they close to the same?

Strahd
04-05-05, 02:11 PM
Ok I have an AGP BFG 6800 ULTRA OC, I need to upgrade my motherboard and CPU to the best AMD possible, what is the best non SLI AMD motherboard out? also what processor do you recommend the fx-55 or 4000+?

I would recommend the Asus A8V deluxe also as long as you do not intend to OC or only OC a small amount. That board is stable and solid and I would recommend it (especially since I am using it :D)

If you intend on doing any major OC'ing, then I would have to recommend the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Edition (which I have also). In my opinion this board is for advanced OC users who are famaliar with the problems this board can cause (like being picky with memory and memory timings) If you chose this board, definetly research on MSI's website for approved memory and go from there.

I generally use the Asus board for gaming because most people here when I asked recommended staying with the A8V but I'm a tinkerer by heart ( and have been for 25 years with computers ) so I had to see what I could do with the MSI board. The MSI board once it's up and going is an awesome motherboard to OC with.

As far as the processor goes, the difference between the fx-55 and the 4000 is very small. I chose the fx-55 because I wanted a good reference between this system and my P4 3.0g OC'd to 3.4. This is my first AMD rig and after comparing my stock AMD fx-55 against my P4, I'm never going back to Intel :) Also the e-penis factor is bigger with the fx-55 then the 4000 but other then that, there isn't much of a performance difference really. Only to those willing to spend extra cash for a few FPS :)

Hope that helped some.

Gator
04-05-05, 02:36 PM
Epox Nforce3Ultra boards. A couple folks at Nvnews have them and like them, and my friend just got one and he seems very pleased.

Regular
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-230&depa=0

Deluxe with Firewire and round cables, currently out of stock though :(
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=246556

-----

I donot recommend the Gigabyte board, my friend had issues with that one and their warranty support is just awful.

I hear mixed reviews on the MSI NF3 board.

Mr_LoL
04-05-05, 05:58 PM

Have you cleaned that card yet or is it still sticky :p :D

aaahhh52
04-09-05, 12:16 AM
Have you cleaned that card yet or is it still sticky :p :D
bahah i was gonna ask about that :p