PDA

View Full Version : Driver issue for Geforce fX ultra 5700 8x

adamski
04-05-05, 01:24 PM
Ok i posted a while ago saying i had problems with some games crashing, some of which was due to heat, so i upgraded my cooling system. This has fixed all the problems with Hl2 / cs: source BF: V crashing over periods of time. But i still have problems with Kotor 1, Kotor 2 and other games that seem to use Direct X. I've upgraded all the drivers on my computer, running the forceware 71.84 drivers atm and have tried using the drivers provided from my cards manufacturer. I know it isnt a sound problem as ive tried disabling sound ingames and from device manager. Drivers have been installed using drivercleaner. Also ive tried lowering and turning off hardware acceleration and fast writes and changed the frame rendering that direct X uses.
Basically im out of ideas now, i've tried fresh installs of XP and well this is now a cry for help :( . Hope you guys can give me some ideas.

Oh and to explain a little more on the freezing issue, basically the games run perfect until about 5 - 20 mins in and then lockup sometimes with sound looping and not allowing me to alt-tab out, forcing me to restart (very frustrating).

Thanks

:angel: Adamski :angel:

Nefilim
04-05-05, 03:18 PM
Try the 67.66 drivers, I've got an FX5600 Ultra and I had several lockups with the 71.84s (as well as the fact they were slower and didn't work properly with a couple of games). The 67.66s I've found to be superior drivers in all cases.

BTW the Kotor games use OpenGL, not D3D if that helps in tracking down the problem.

adamski
04-06-05, 08:45 AM
ok ill try that mate, thanks

adamski
04-06-05, 10:01 AM
nope still crashing :thumbdwn: ....

anyone else got some ideas?

jnd3
04-06-05, 10:13 AM
Have you checked your system memory? You might want to give MemTest86 a try and see if it finds any problem. Oh, and post the rest of your system specs, please!

adamski
04-06-05, 04:24 PM
ok i ran memtest68 latest version and everything passed. My full system specs are:

SiS 478 fx chipset
Geforce fX ultra 5700 128mb
512 DDR RAM
P4 2.56 ghz
XP Pro (no sp1 or 2)

adamski
04-07-05, 09:14 AM
ok after playing around a bit more with hardware acceleration i managed to stop kotor freezing. basically lowered it and now and it works, is there anyway to work around me not having to do this?