PDA

View Full Version : Doom3 EAX Driver Out

jAkUp
04-06-05, 12:47 AM
Too bad you still need the doom3 patch.. :p (coming soon)

http://soundblaster.com/Gaming/doom3/?downloadtypedesc=12

:D

RealLifePixelShader
04-06-05, 01:47 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48727&highlight=Audigy+beta

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and Audigy 2 ZS series Beta driver with OpenAL support
SBA2-BETAD-1-US

This beta driver adds full support of the OpenAL interface for Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 and Audigy 2 ZS series internal audio devices.

Added Features or Enhancements:

* Provides full OpenAL / EAX ADVANCED HD support when used with the DOOM 3(tm) 3 1.3 patch.
* Includes EAX 4.0 support for the new DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil(tm) expansion pack.
* Improves performance of all OpenAL game titles, including Battlefield 2(tm).

Requirements:

* Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or Windows 2000 Service Pack 4.
* Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 or Audigy 2 ZS series internal audio device.

Notes:

* THIS IS AN UNSUPPORTED BETA DRIVER. We recommend that only experienced users install this driver.
* Make sure you uninstall your existing Audigy 2 or Audigy 2 ZS driver, before installing this beta driver.
* Do not install this update for an external USB Sound Blaster audio device.
* Some Creative applications such as Surround Mixer, THX Console, and Creative MediaSource(tm) may not work properly with this beta driver.
* Refer to readme file for more information.

http://us.creative.com/support/down...ype=0&details=1

http://us.creative.com/support/down...Name=Windows+XP

Connaught
04-07-05, 10:45 AM
Works great for me, the game never really freaked me out before. After installing this driver, I must admit, I've jumped a few times...

Wylde
04-07-05, 12:29 PM
Too bad I have a cruddy soundblaster live with no EAX support :P

TheManko
04-07-05, 01:38 PM
Works great for me, the game never really freaked me out before. After installing this driver, I must admit, I've jumped a few times...
But the game doesn't use eax yet!
Something everyone should try is lowering the sound volume ingame to around 50%. The differece in sound quality may shock you, if you experience the same phenomenon as me. Using an Audigy 2 ZS here...

zoomy942
04-07-05, 02:55 PM
Too bad I have a cruddy soundblaster live with no EAX support :P

:) just cause audigy's support EAX doesnt mean they arent cruddy :)

RealLifePixelShader
04-11-05, 03:01 AM
http://forums.ngohq.com/index.php?showtopic=560

This is supposed to be a modded form of the driver that will work with SBLive! and Audigy too...ymmv

anzak
04-13-05, 10:53 PM
Sweet, even my 24bit Live is supported. This might give me a reason to dig out Doom 3 and give it another chance.

CaptNKILL
04-13-05, 11:36 PM
Will any EAX effects be available for non-creative cards that have EAX support? Im pretty sure that my soundstorm chip does EAX2...

ChrisRay
05-01-05, 10:37 PM
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz has EAX too..

ArturNOW
05-02-05, 02:50 AM
Will any EAX effects be available for non-creative cards that have EAX support? Im pretty sure that my soundstorm chip does EAX2...
I think they added EAX 3 and/or EAX 4 support.

ricercar
05-02-05, 03:56 AM
Isn't this come about because Creative approached id in 2003 and suggested that id software should examine Doom3 sound code for Creative patent infringements? IIRC, Doom3 found itself so darn far into Creative EAX intelllectual property, Doom had to license the sound, or they'd have to rewrite the sound from scratch 1/2 year from August ship.

Luckily it was settled amicably and both parties agreeed to help one another and moved forward instead of fighting in court to see who would bleed less.

I admit. I've been drinking and typing. Time to click save.

jolle
05-02-05, 04:18 AM
no Creative apparantly had a patent on a algorithm used in the renderer, think it was even "Carmacks reverse", and they sort of blackmailed id with that..
If id didnt add EAX support, then they would either have to pay royalties, or use another slower method instead of the one they currently use for the shadows..

Which started a bit of a debate about patenting algorithms.
Id always supported open source and such, ports their games to linux and Mac, uses OpenGL, and didnt want to support EAX since its a propriety API Creative owns and noone else can support.

SFL
05-03-05, 05:08 AM
Can I use these EAX-drivers with a non-Creative soundcard? I am using a Terratec Aureon (http://sounden.terratec.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=188) supporting EAX 1.0 and 2.0.

But I guess you only get the real EAX-experience with 5.1 or 7.1 sound... :D

Rakeesh
05-03-05, 10:06 AM
Isn't this come about because Creative approached id in 2003 and suggested that id software should examine Doom3 sound code for Creative patent infringements? IIRC, Doom3 found itself so darn far into Creative EAX intelllectual property, Doom had to license the sound, or they'd have to rewrite the sound from scratch 1/2 year from August ship.

Luckily it was settled amicably and both parties agreeed to help one another and moved forward instead of fighting in court to see who would bleed less.

I admit. I've been drinking and typing. Time to click save.

What happened is the dynamic shadow rendering method ID was using was patented by creative. John Carmack could have rewritten it using a two pass method that would have been slower and not violated the patent as ID didn't want to have to license it from creative thus bumping up the cost of doom 3.

Instead they reluctantly worked out a deal with creative that required ID to add creative specific enhanced EAX support to doom 3 (which helps market creative cards) in exchange for allowing ID to use their shadow rendering patent without paying royalties.

zoomy942
05-03-05, 10:46 AM
What happened is the dynamic shadow rendering method ID was using was patented by creative. John Carmack could have rewritten it using a two pass method that would have been slower and not violated the patent as ID didn't want to have to license it from creative thus bumping up the cost of doom 3.

Instead they reluctantly worked out a deal with creative that required ID to add creative specific enhanced EAX support to doom 3 (which helps market creative cards) in exchange for allowing ID to use their shadow rendering patent without paying royalties.

so sad.. cause i am sooo much happier using the nvidia audio