PDA

View Full Version : nvMixer hidden settings

jnd3
04-06-05, 09:00 AM
There's a thread over at the nForcersHQ forums (http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56155) that gives details on some hidden registry keys for nvMixer.

I was messing around in Resource Hacker and found several unused dialogs in the 6.11 audio drivers.
So, I decided to watch NvMixer's registry activities with RegMon, and lo and behold, I found 2 NEW HIDDEN PAGES!

To enable 2 new pages in NvMixer (Advanced and "audio firewall"), create these 2 new registry values in HKCU\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\NVMixer\Settings\ :

ShowAdvanced (binary)=01 00 00 00
ShowFirewall (binary)=01 00 00 00

Advanced page has many missing settings, such as rear (and center!) phase shift, DLS loading, NVSwap functionality, and "Ignore windows speaker setup" -- fixes sound resetting to 2 channels. Looks like nVidia actually listened to people's wishes!
I popped it in this morning and it works fine. I especially like the "ignore windows speaker setup" ... that's bit me a couple of times.

EverGreen
04-06-05, 11:34 AM
Awesome, i followed your instructions and indeed new features rise in the mixer setup to the front, i could now handle new assets in mixing and styles too.
Priority from normal to high makes the capicity of the sounds growing as impressive.

Thanks for the kewl sharing of this marvelous tweak :D

http://img181.exs.cx/img181/6206/nvmixer3jq.jpg

Loto_Bak
04-06-05, 06:43 PM
does this panel only apply to soundstorm?

Sex_packets
04-06-05, 07:17 PM
yeah soundstorm only.

EverGreen
04-07-05, 07:01 AM
Not only soundstorm, i got here a Gigabyte mobo with a Realtek onboard sounds and that works also...

jnd3
04-07-05, 07:44 AM
Yah, basically anything that uses the nVidia audio drivers with nvMixer. I don't have all the options that EverGreen has on his, though. I'm using the 4.57 audio package, so it could be that nvMixer needs to be updated.

gstanford
04-11-05, 12:02 PM
I've just tried the nForce 6.37 drivers with mixed results.

I use Analog 5.1 speaker setup on an ASUS A7N8x Deuxe V2.0.

In the past I have stuck to the old Sound Storm audio utility and sound drivers (5.10.2917) coupled to nForce 5.10 (sans audio components) since I have found them to be better than the newer nVMixer audio drivers.

The 6.37's with the registry tweak have fixed one persistent problem (3D Mark 2000 resets the speakers to stereo mode).

But they have created another problem (which can be seen right through all versions of the nVMixer drivers) - 3DMark03 won't play sound out of the rear speakers no matter how the nVMixer is setup or windows audio is setup.

Using the old SoundStorm audio drivers 3DMark03 plays back correctly using all speakers. No special settings required.

Can someone point me to where I am going wrong, or is this a bug?

Some images to illustrate settings in use.

jnd3
04-11-05, 02:05 PM
Try disabling Cinesurround, perhaps? I thought that Cinesurround downmixed audio sources to 2 channels. That might be playing havoc with your 5.1 setting. For example, if you have 4 channel audio coming out of 3DMark03 (or whatever it is), it would normally be sent to all 4 speakers. But with Cinesurround it'll be downmixed to 2 channels -- your front to speakers. I think that's how it works...

gstanford
04-11-05, 08:25 PM
Tried with Cinesurround on and off. In fact I've tried everything I can possibly think of in the nVmixer app, including setting the room to "surround" for all profiles on the firewall page, turning "speaker fill" on, switching the surround encoding between its various settings.

The sound volume overall is also a fair bit less than what the old SoundStorm driver provides. This has been the case for every nVmixer audio driver I have ever tried.

I can't believe nVidia can be so incompetent at writing an audio driver. Whoever is responsible there for the nVmixer driver should be flogged, then made to study the old SoundStorm driver before writing another line of code.

EDIT: Just to clear things up a little, when I talk about the 3DMark03 problem in the post above, I'm not referring to the sound tests in the benchmark, I'm talking about the demo audio. You can tell if you are affected almost instantly - the futuremark intro right at the beginning should play through all speakers, and you will hear a clear difference in wings of fury - listen to the plane engines.