PDA

View Full Version : What ID Software did to Doom 3 engine so...

red_star
04-06-05, 07:53 PM
so the game runs good, and ROE even better?

Also AA 2x looks much better than before compared to patch 1.1. I'm using 76.41 set of drivers, they are the best...

I don't know how many people noticed it, but the sounds doesn't cause frames to drop as used to sometimes...

Also, I noticed Creative posted a new beta release of drivers for SB, and Doom 3 is mentioned as well as support ofr OpenAL.

I haven't test it yet...

SLippe
04-06-05, 07:59 PM
So is there a new patch for Doom 3? I'll have to check out the Creative SB drivers.

OWA
04-06-05, 08:19 PM
Patch 1.2 comes with RoE and apparently there will be a 1.3 patch sometime soon (mentioned by Creative talking about EAX, etc. being added to D3).

red_star
04-06-05, 08:23 PM
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and Audigy 2 ZS series Beta driver with OpenAL support
SBA2-BETAD-1-US

This beta driver adds full support of the OpenAL interface for Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 and Audigy 2 ZS series internal audio devices.

Added Features or Enhancements:

Provides full OpenAL / EAX ADVANCED HD support when used with the DOOM 3(tm) 3 1.3 patch.
Includes EAX 4.0 support for the new DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil™ expansion pack.
Improves performance of all OpenAL game titles, including Battlefield 2™.
Requirements:

Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or Windows 2000 Service Pack 4.
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 or Audigy 2 ZS series internal audio device.
Notes:

THIS IS AN UNSUPPORTED BETA DRIVER. We recommend that only experienced users install this driver.
Make sure you uninstall your existing Audigy 2 or Audigy 2 ZS driver before installing this beta driver.
Do not install this driver for an external USB Sound Blaster audio device.
Some Creative applications such as Surround Mixer, THX Console, and Creative MediaSource™ may not work properly with this beta driver.
Refer to Readme file for more information.

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download2.asp?Product_ID=9107&dlcentric=8674&Product_Name=Audigy+2+ZS+Platinum&OSName=Windows+XP

red_star
04-06-05, 08:25 PM
I will wait for an official release, since I need thx console and other creative programs...

I heard that these drivers are awesome, and every game which uses openAL including UT2004 gets performance boost..

Edge
04-06-05, 11:22 PM
ID really worked some magic on the engine. It runs surprisingly well for what it's rendering (although it seems heavilly affected by AGP aperture settings on some systems like mine), and it was very solid to begin with. I think with the newer patches, they may add in a few optimisations that were made for the Xbox version of the game (which is another technical marvel, I'm stunned that the game still looks so decent on such outdated hardware while managing to run VERY smootly). Even though I'm not a fan of their gameplay, there's no denying that ID makes extremely well-designed engines. I would like to see them add a few more graphical settings into the game though, or possibly even offer higher-detailed models as an option, since in cutscenes the blocky characters really stand out compared to everything else. Right now the low-poly characters are the main defect in Doom 3 engine based games (textures coming in a close second).

oozish
04-06-05, 11:47 PM
I'm running that EAX patch no problems. roe looks much better than doom3 did, especially lighting..looks like psuedo HDR and better coronas for light. I wish the original doom3 was this much fun to play and explore. Grabber is too cool, but seems like a HL2 ripoff now. *(sigh) I had to run the patch to keep the sound from dropping out with my previous audigy 2 drivers.

SH64
04-06-05, 11:52 PM
So you are saying that patch 1.2 improved performance/IQ ??
have you tried benching Doom3 before & after the patch ?

Rakeesh
04-07-05, 12:47 AM
Creative supporting a non proprietary standard? Thats a first.

TheManko
04-07-05, 07:19 AM
If I remember it correctly Creative was involved in the creation of OpenAL. I'm actually pretty sure they were.

EDIT: Here's from Creative themselves, from an interview on the developer site:

"Creative is often associated with OpenAL, how and why did the company get involved in the project?

There are two reasons why we got involved in designing this new 3D audio API. Firstly, the Windows Driver Model (WDM) architecture added a lot of overhead for audio hardware accelerators, like the SoundBlaster Live! and Audigy series. Using a completely new 3D audio API allows us to by-pass the WDM Kernel streaming completely, significantly reducing our overhead. Second, DirectSound had some quirks at the time, which made voice management very challenging on hardware accelerators."

Here's the entire interview... (http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=95)

EDIT2: Here we have another example of intelligence on their part:

"So does OpenAL just work on systems with advanced 3D soundcards like SoundBlaster Audigy?

We thought about that as well, and of course for the acceptance of a new API it's better if it works everywhere, albeit not with the same benefits. That's why Creative provide a software based fallback as well as a DirectSound3D based fallback. Both of these are contained in one DLL, that is downloadable from our website. We even allow developers to ship the fallback DLL with their titles. What is really cool is that we put a lot of effort into optimising the software as well as hardware DirectSound3D fallback to work well across all PC audio solutions."

Ninjaman09
04-07-05, 09:00 AM
I'm pretty sure Creative basically blackmailed id. Apparently they patented the technology id used for doing shadow calculations and instead of suing them they forced them into EAX support.

TheManko
04-07-05, 09:11 AM
The deal was, "you can use them, as long as all Doom 3 engine games use Eax". While the methods sucked, I'd rather have eax, than no eax.

six_storm
04-07-05, 09:53 AM
I've noticed a bit of performance difference before and after RoE. Even though I've been getting 60 FPS (capped, of course), it seems a whole heck of a lot smoother.