PDA

View Full Version : Can't Find a Compatible 5900XT Driver for WinME

DrCR
04-07-05, 10:36 AM
Hello to all here. Been a while since I've had Nvidia hardware. Haven't had an Nvidia card (with the exception with a short bout with the horrible FX5600) since my Hercules GF2 GTS 64MB edition in 2000.

Here are this particular rig's specs:

Asus A7V
AMD 900MHz T-Bird
512MB PC133 CL3
Voodoo 5 5500 PCI secondary, AGP installing Leadtek 5900XT

Primary Partition: Fat32 WinME 10GB
Extended Partition:
1- Linux Swap 600MB
2- Ext3 Ubuntu (loving it so far) 6GB
3- Ext3 Xandros (just to try it, didn't like it) 6GB
4- ReiserFS Slackware 10.1 (to be installed soon) 6GB
5- Fat32 Data Storage 45GB

I can't find a driver that is truely compatible with WinME / my rig. I've tried all the offical drivers that support the 5900XT card, though I think I still have yet to try 53.x.

I often got a kernal error on boot up (conflict with the NV display/desktop manager if I recall correctly) but everything boots up fine. The deal is that the screen will randomly lock, blur, and artifact. The machine is still running fine though, just the video is wacked. For example, I was downloading a file when it video went once and I just waited until the hard drive and router lights stopped and pressed the power button to soft off. The file was there complete when I checked it out after booting up.

A big issue; I boot with the V5 5500 PCI for Glide stuff. The way the NV driver(s) mess with the OS and adds junk to the index list (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/drcr1/misc/indexlist.png) (what's it called? You get it when you right-click on your desktop), when I boot with the V5, there's no New-> option.

I miss the old, less frills, drivers of my GF2 days. I think the 30.8x was the last one before they started adding junk. Junk is OK, just give me the option to not install or not enable, OK? :thumbdwn:

Anyway, could someone recommend some 3rd party drivers that wouldn't adds this stuff, or at least during installation allow me to unselect the features?

Thanks! FYI I have a COA of XP Pro on its way, so I'll be dual booting soon with XP, and so my NT/2000/XP core compliant games will be good to go, but I got to fix the WinME side of things.

Maybe I should just get a Ti4600, but I got the 5900XT for cheap--cheaper than some Ti4600s fetch on eBay. I could probably sell the 5900XT for what I got it a year from now. I really doubt I could say that if I got a Ti4600. I considered going an ATI route as this machine has seen from 9700Pros to a 9600XT AIW, but the ATI cards are currently fetching just too much at ebay. Besides, it's nice to have an Nvidia again, esp. since I'm messing with Linux.

Thanks,
DrCR

_________

Jedi Dwight
04-10-05, 11:57 AM
nVIDIA has very recent graphics drivers for Win9x/ME. A month or so ago I was fixing up an nForce2 IGP system with WinME and no recent chipset drivers would work stably. I even RMA'ed the motherboard. Ultimately I had to fall back to the chipset drivers that actually came with the motherboard. I also went back to the originally shipped graphics drivers too. The hardware was all sound and worked fine with XP. I think there must be some conspiracy to bring people to update their software/hardware to XP/newer hardware. XP should do well for you, and I think 3dfxFiles (http://www.3dfxfiles.com) should have doable drivers for your V5500 under XP. ME is more trouble than it's worth these days, that's all there is to it.

DrCR
04-23-05, 09:32 PM
Thanks Jedi. Yeah, I think sometimes that Bloated/Incompatable Software Inc. is working with BuyMoreNewHardware Inc.

I just sold off the card and am making do with a MSI GF4 Ti4400 right now. Not really a bad choice since this is a legacy gaming rig anyhow (bascially has to be with a CPU at 950MHz). I miss 32bit color and much better image quality though.

FYI the hub for 3DFX users is over at www.falconfly-central.de. Apparently there's a lot of former 3DFX staff there or something. I found out about the site from this link I posted over at DriverHeaven.net when I first got the card. <link> (http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=20435)

...sorry about the late reply. Not being about to use free email requires me to use an account I check only every so often.

DrCR

michaelj
04-23-05, 10:54 PM
http://www.mydrivers.com

WimpMiester
04-24-05, 11:50 AM
I had a similar problem with WinME and a FX5600 card. Turns out that WinME didn't like the monitor being setup with Plug & Play profile which it is. So I changed it to a profile from the manufacturer and never had another problem. Was using the 61.76 driver.

DrCR
05-03-05, 02:03 PM
I had a similar problem with WinME and a FX5600 card. Turns out that WinME didn't like the monitor being setup with Plug & Play profile which it is. So I changed it to a profile from the manufacturer and never had another problem. Was using the 61.76 driver.

Awesome, thanks for the tip! I'll try that sometime. I sold off the 5900xt though and bought a MSI Ti4400 (nicknamed "the vacuum cleaner" lol).

Thanks for the link michaelj... do they have an English version? :confused: I'm not oriental. Or perhaps you assume I'll just use bablefish or something? :)

SLippe
05-03-05, 02:26 PM
Why would you dual boot with ME and XP? Just curious. ME is crap, IMO.

rewt
05-03-05, 03:18 PM
Maybe Microsoft fixed it with their gagillion updates. :rolleyes:

SLippe
05-03-05, 03:37 PM
:lol2:

Sick Willie
05-04-05, 09:28 AM
Maybe Microsoft fixed it with their gagillion updates. :rolleyes:
The only way that could happen is if one of the updates was Windows 2000 or XP. :)