PDA

View Full Version : quick question about Dual-Channel installation

maverik
04-08-05, 09:20 AM
i got 2 DDR RAM Chips of 1GB each. of Hynix ddr 400mhz. and i bought a new motherboard asus p4p800.
the problem is, when i read the motherboard manual, "for DUAL-CHANNEL its mentioned populate the two blue dimms first and then the black dimms".
when i put any one stick in any of the blue dimms, there is no display (the processor fan rotates, but there is no display on the monitor).
when i put the ram in any one of the black dimms the computer begins. also when i populate the two black dimms the computer begins.
Does this mean its not running in dual-channel mode?
How do i verify its running in dual-channel mode?
How do i rectify this?

maverik
04-08-05, 09:22 AM
oh i forgot to mention my config.
pentium 4 2.8ghz HT, 2 gb hynix ddr 400mhz, asus p4p800, inno3d cool viva premium grforce 6800 128mb ddr, samsung 80gb hdd.

coolguy
04-08-05, 10:50 AM
There seems to be a problem with the blue slots on your mobo. I use the same mobo. If you are able to use the 2 black slots properly then your pc is running in dual channel mode. You get this info at boot itself. Disable the ASUS boot logo to view the boot information.

Whether you are populating the 2 black or 2 blue slots, you still get dual channel config. Its just that ASUS recommends using the blue slots first. You can verify the mode by using CPU-Z which is freely available at www.cpuid.com.

You will still have to sort out the problem with the blue slots with your vendor. Maybe ask for a replacement mobo.

maverik
04-08-05, 12:23 PM
hmm. oh i totally forgot about cpu-z
anyways, if its running with black slots, y should i bother for replacement.
thanx :)

jAkUp
04-08-05, 03:08 PM
Do you have the latest bios flashed? Might be an issue with your paticular bios and memory