PDA

View Full Version : any way to get in game *non-compressed* screenshots?

Nv40
04-08-05, 07:19 PM
I noticed that in Hl2 whener you take a screenshot of the game ,the quality is not 100% the same that you will get in the game. more like 90% according with the console.

I was looking in the game config to see if this could be edited and get non-compresed screenshots of the game.. but found nothing.

ANy help?

BTW.. Noticed the game use a propietary format with their high quality textures , if anyone know a way to convert them to .TGA ,or even JPGs.. let me now.

-=DVS=-
04-08-05, 07:43 PM
Can use FRAPS to avoid any hassle of figuring CS out :p

Nv40
04-08-05, 08:47 PM
Can use FRAPS to avoid any hassle of figuring CS out :p

Ok.. discovered how.. :)

with the command
-> Jpeg_quality [percentage]
you can compress as much as you want the screenshots.. i wanted no compression at all ,because when i saw the compressed Jpegs in my screenshots folder ,they were washout version of what i saw in the game even thought default compression is 90% .

Not sure is Jpeg 100% still give me the original quality of my capture.it will be nice to get original screenshots .TGA format. which many says its superior the quality.

avesta
04-17-05, 01:23 AM
I think u need to find a way to get .png format for lossless quality

jolle
04-19-05, 07:38 PM
I would guess BMP would be the purest, since its a totally uncompressed 24bit (32bit - the 8bit alpha channel) format.
just raw pixels..
JPEG is selfdestructive and compressed, but at 100% the difference might be unnoticable for just screenshots..

take a bmp image and compress it to Jpeg with 100% quality and judge yourself.

EDIT
NV40 if you are refering to the VFT format, this tool sounds like it could do the trick..
Its possible its a regular format using another name, dunno which tho..
ever tried renaming it to jpg or tga and open it?
http://www.hl2source.com/?content=projects&id=vtftool

Nutty
04-20-05, 04:42 AM
PNG is completely lossless as well jolle. But offers much better compression than RLE encoded BMP's.

Morrow
04-22-05, 08:15 AM
Not sure is Jpeg 100% still give me the original quality of my capture.

JPEG is NEVER lossless. 100% quality will result in the best quality JPEG can offer, this however is nevertheless not the original image quality, eventhough it is damn near it.

JPEG compression always uses its psychovisual algorithms to compress an image and this always means quality loss.