PDA

View Full Version : Killing Floor

Pages : [1] 2

superklye
04-08-05, 11:58 PM
Has anyone else heard about this UT2k4 mod? Or seen it for that matter? It looks INSANE! The demo was just released and looking at the screenshots, I am HIGHLY impressed. Some real high-res textures and really detailed environments.

http://www.killingfloor.pmods.net/Visuals.html

|MaguS|
04-09-05, 12:09 AM
Have you tried it? Looks neat but don't currently have UT2004 installed. Is it online? It looks to be a SP Mod.

superklye
04-09-05, 12:14 AM
I haven't tried it yet, as I don't currently have UT2k4 installed either. I'll install both and give it a whirl tomorrow morning. I'm too exhausted to do anything now. It's a single-player demo and there will be an SP campaign along with MP capabilities. They hope to have the final version done in a month or so.

Parts
04-09-05, 02:18 AM
site no worky

holmes
04-09-05, 10:15 AM
Wow, that looks awesome.. has a nice zombie apocalypse "dawn of the dead" feel, but darker. I'll check out the demo later today...
:)

GamerGuyX
04-09-05, 12:34 PM
Wow, that looks awesome.. has a nice zombie apocalypse "dawn of the dead" feel, but darker.

That looks waaay darker than Dawn of the Dead. More like Silent Hill.

superklye
04-09-05, 12:34 PM
site no worky
odd...it works just fine for me...

But I fired it up and played like a minute ago and I can definitely see this game going places. The gameplay is pretty fast and frantic and it's hard because you have no crosshair, the zombies fly all over the place and there is no clear distinction of when your clip is out. I think the Bullpup has 40 round clips, but I'm not exactly sure. It just has your total ammo count and after a number of rounds, you have to reload.

The graphics look great...it's really dark and foreboding...the animations need some work though. Your teammates just look goofy when running the zombies, while fast, are robotic-looking. And I don't mean stiff-armed ambling like in the movies...they just look crappy. So with some aesthetic changes and a full-on singleplayer campaign, I can definitely see this as being an awesome mod.

holmes
04-09-05, 01:14 PM
That looks waaay darker than Dawn of the Dead. More like Silent Hill.

Yeah, never played Silent Hill. That's why I said "but darker."
:p

jolle
04-09-05, 01:19 PM
Um.. is this "coop"? or singelplayer with "regular" multiplayer, not Coop in SP campaign?
Thought it was coop first, and that would rock.. starting to doubt that now..

GamerGuyX
04-09-05, 01:23 PM
Yeah, never played Silent Hill. That's why I said "but darker."
:p

Oh okay. :D

Then again, you could of said Day of the Dead but darker. That would of made more sense. You have seen Day of the Dead... right? :confused:

superklye
04-09-05, 01:30 PM
Um.. is this "coop"? or singelplayer with "regular" multiplayer, not Coop in SP campaign?
Thought it was coop first, and that would rock.. starting to doubt that now..
As I said above, the demo is SP only. There is going to be both SP and MP when the final version is released.

holmes
04-09-05, 02:03 PM
Oh okay. :D

Then again, you could of said Day of the Dead but darker. That would of made more sense. You have seen Day of the Dead... right? :confused:

yup, I guess that might be more appropriate since it is a "darker" movie, but maybe that's because they live in a cave? hehe... :)

One thing that is different is that the zombies seem to have a little better mobility and not be so "rigor-mortis"ed.. It looks like some frantic action... gotta check this out!

jolle
04-09-05, 03:45 PM
As I said above, the demo is SP only. There is going to be both SP and MP when the final version is released.

Yeah I saw that..
What I was wonder was this "MP", if its DM, CTF or some such, or Teamplay against AI, which is what I hoped..
When I first read this on the "about" page:
Killing Floor is a Total Conversion of the Unreal Tournament 2004 game. Playing as a squad of marines, you must use firepower and teamwork to drive back massive hordes of bloodthirsty zombies.
I thought: sweet, some coop action finally (braindead shooter stuff is great in Coop hehe SS:SE anyone?).
But then I got unsure with the talk about SP and MP, if perhaps it was just a SP campaign with the regular UT gamestyles as MP..

So before I get all excited I wanted to confirm that "MP" acctually means Teamplay against AI, coop.. and not just DM or CTF Player vs Player MP..

superklye
04-09-05, 05:21 PM
Yeah I saw that..
What I was wonder was this "MP", if its DM, CTF or some such, or Teamplay against AI, which is what I hoped..
When I first read this on the "about" page:

I thought: sweet, some coop action finally (braindead shooter stuff is great in Coop hehe SS:SE anyone?).
But then I got unsure with the talk about SP and MP, if perhaps it was just a SP campaign with the regular UT gamestyles as MP..

So before I get all excited I wanted to confirm that "MP" acctually means Teamplay against AI, coop.. and not just DM or CTF Player vs Player MP..
ahhh...okay. I dunno yet, but guessing from their description of the game, I would think it's a squad-based thing, which should end up being really cool.

holmes
04-09-05, 05:34 PM
Wow! That's intense... cool mod. I definitely will keep my eye on this one. Has anyone figured out how to get this working in linux? Maybe loki will come up with an installer for this mod when it reaches final. Had to reinstall in windows to check it out. It was worth it though...

holmes
04-09-05, 06:53 PM
Got it working in linux.. Heres the script:

#!/bin/sh

SUB_DIR="."
script=$0

GAME_DIR=`dirname $script`

cd $GAME_DIR
cd $SUB_DIR

echo "Running KFDemo..."
./ut2004 "$@" -mod=KFDemo
echo "exiting..."

Instructions:
---------------------
1. Place the script in your ut2004 directory. As root, set it as executable:

# chmod a+x kfdemo

2. Delete the "Killing Floor Demo.lnk" file in the KFDemo/System directory.

3. You can run from the main ut2004 directory if you want, but you'll get a hang when you exit out of the game... (nothing a CTRL-C can't take care of ;) )

[omar@localhost ut2004]$ ./kfdemo
WARNING: ALC_EXT_capture is subject to change!
Xlib: extension "XiG-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD" missing on display ":0.0".
^[[B
CTRL-C before main loop ... forcing exit.
[omar@localhost ut2004]$

Actually, you could run the game without a script and just supply the -mod= flag (ex: ./ut2004 -mod=KFDemo) and deal with the hang, but I am lazy and easily annoyed by such things. In which case, you might want to just pull up MenuDrake and add a new application under games and provide the path to "/usr/local/games/ut2004/kfdemo". You won't get anymore hanging issues if you run the game in this way.

---------------

Oh, one other issue is that the mod most likely makes use of specific D3D calls for the "haze" effect when you get hit by zombies. Unfortunately, you will experience a "white out" effect. Hopefully if the mod becomes popular enough, icculus.org might have a look at making some GL specific calls...

Have fun!

GamerGuyX
04-09-05, 07:47 PM
One thing that is different is that the zombies seem to have a little better mobility and not be so "rigor-mortis"ed.. It looks like some frantic action... gotta check this out!

True fans of George Romero's work like "rigor mortis" style undead. :p

And don't call them zombies. :D

holmes
04-09-05, 07:56 PM
True fans of George Romero's work like "rigor mortis" style undead. :p

And don't call them zombies. :D

Hehe, I wouldn't call myself an uber fan like some people I know, but I am a fan of his work. Just this past summer I attended a convention w/ my bro-in-law where he appeared and what not. Pretty fun stuff... I admit that my bro-in-law is who got me into George Romero. If the UNDEAD ;) aren't stiff as boards then it ain't my taste. I don't like the rabid dog zombies from more modern flicks...

superklye
04-09-05, 08:02 PM
Hehe, I wouldn't call myself an uber fan like some people I know, but I am a fan of his work. Just this past summer I attended a convention w/ my bro-in-law where he appeared and what not. Pretty fun stuff... I admit that my bro-in-law is who got me into George Romero. If the UNDEAD ;) aren't stiff as boards then it ain't my taste. I don't like the rabid dog zombies from more modern flicks...
really? The walking-tree undead are so...lame. Wow...it's terrifying that at the current rate of movement, that undead 100 feet away will get me sometime around the 4th of July. :rolleyes2

It's so much more intense when the undead are faster than dogs.

GamerGuyX
04-09-05, 08:03 PM
Oh thats awesome. Its always good to know I'm not the only George Romero fan on these forums. I think Vamp said he was a fan also. :cool:

EDIT: This was in reply to holmes.

GamerGuyX
04-09-05, 08:05 PM
Wow...it's terrifying that at the current rate of movement, that undead 100 feet away will get me sometime around the 4th of July. :rolleyes2

Yes but zombies have always been about their numbers and their resistance to pain. Thats what gets you, you think that they are to slow to get you and then before you know it... your dead.

Besides, when you die your body goes through rigor mortis. It doesn't physically make sense when zombies run.

superklye
04-09-05, 08:07 PM
Yes but zombies have always been about there numbers and their resistance to pain. Thats what gets you, you think that they are to slow to get you and then before you know it... your dead.
I guess...the thing that just pisses me off about zombie movies nowadays is that this epidemic occurs and there are zombies everywhere...AND NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE!

What the hell? Seriously? Does everything in the world exist except for folklore about zombies? It's just so unbelievable that in a modern-day movie, no one has any idea what a ****ing zombie is.

GamerGuyX
04-09-05, 08:11 PM
I guess...the thing that just pisses me off about zombie movies nowadays is that this epidemic occurs and there are zombies everywhere...AND NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE!

What the hell? Seriously? Does everything in the world exist except for folklore about zombies? It's just so unbelievable that in a modern-day movie, no one has any idea what a ****ing zombie is.

Well thats the point. Zombie movies take place as if there was no such thing as zombies or zombie movies. Just imagine what it would be like if there were reports of dead people getting up and killing living people in real life when there is no such things as zombies. Its much more terrifying.

EDIT: Actually there are some zombie movies where the people know about zombies when they first see them. Its actually kind of cheesy though because they say "oh its night of the living dead out there!" Or something stupid along those lines. It really ruins the moment.

holmes
04-09-05, 08:14 PM
The whole point to George Romero style undead is their vast numbers and how they don't seem particularly threatening lumbering about. Although the living seem to have an intellectual and mobility advantage, they will eventually lose out by getting ****y and taking for granted how easily they can be overwhelmed at inopportune moments...

GamerGuyX
04-09-05, 08:15 PM
The whole point to George Romero style undead is their vast numbers and how they don't seem particularly threatening lumbering about. Although the living seem to have an intellectual and mobility advantage, they will eventually lose out by getting ****y and taking for granted how easily they can be overwhelmed at inopportune moments...

I must admit, you worded that quite well. :thumbsup: