PDA

View Full Version : driver switcher...would it be possible?

j0j081
04-09-05, 09:34 AM
Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a way to install more than one driver set at at time and then have a prog switch between versions for you hopefully only requiring you to reboot Windows? I know this is probably impossible but it seems like a worthwhile idea with all these driver releases...

saturnotaku
04-09-05, 09:45 AM
The 5 minutes it takes to do an uninstall/Driver Cleaner run too long for you?

PSYCHODAD
04-09-05, 09:59 AM
Heh! I must be slow, it takes me 10 mins. :cool:

Oh, wait, that includes installing a new driver also.

j0j081
04-09-05, 10:05 AM
I usually end up spending arond half an hour to get everything set up the way I want.

rewt
04-09-05, 10:06 AM
Well, being that the driver gets loaded at boot up, you'd still have to reboot even if you manage to replace the driver while windows is running.

$n][pErMan
04-09-05, 01:17 PM
Even tho its not hard to uninstall and install new drivers .. it IS a pain in the ass. I think a driver switcher would be a good idea and im sure its possible :)

jAkUp
04-09-05, 01:34 PM
hmmm.. interesting. Yea that would be pretty good. So I can select certain drivers for certain games. Some games work great in SLI with certain drivers, while other games dont work at all..

superklye
04-09-05, 01:53 PM
I usually end up spending arond half an hour to get everything set up the way I want.
same here. I dread having to reset up resolutions and the color correction stuff (my stupid CRT is so ****ing dark) and then my custom desktops, usually two pictures, one on each monitor...it just gets to be a pain. It would be sweet to have a program that you could install a bunch of drivers and import your current settings to each and by selecting which one you wanted, restart and bam, you're running those instead.

$n][pErMan
04-09-05, 02:10 PM
If you install a driver .. create a restore point called say "Driver 67.66" and then install another driver and make a restore point called "Driver 71.84" .. and so on and then just keep jumping to restor points that works. But I change things a lot of my machine so that does not work as well because then I lose some registry info on new stuff :p But for some of you who only play a few things and thats it... it might suffice till someone makes a program.

jolle
04-09-05, 03:54 PM
Wonder if it was possible to make a "tool" that you put on a CD and boot with.
It then looks in C:\some_path\driver where you unzipped the driver package you wanted to install, some "default" path for the tool..
Removes all traces of the old driver (like drivercleaner I guess) and installes the new files, making all registry changes necessary..
All without acctually booting windows, thus skipping a few reboots..

perhaps it isnt possible to access registry and stuff like that outside of windows? or some other issues that would upset the almight Windows..
just a thought anyhow.