PDA

View Full Version : GeForce FX: Noise levels and space required (2 PCI slots covered)

foivos
12-08-02, 11:32 PM
I read the following on TweakTown:

(These shots give us a good idea of just how much space these monsters are going to take up inside our cases. As you can see, the heat pipe cooling technology is going to cover two of your first PCI slots – whether you like it or not, start to get used to the fact guys.

- Cooling

While we couldn’t see it, the fan cooling the heat pipes was very loud – we are talking almost Delta-like volume levels. Possibly, as we get closer to seeing these cards in retail, nVidia may tweak the cooling systems to a more noise tolerable level – at least I hope so.

When quizzed by a gamer at the sound levels coming from the back of the card, an nVidia rep was quick to suggest that it wouldn’t matter much because gamers would be using headphones during their gaming. Unless the cooling technology has thermal throttling (which it very well may, mind you) I would have to disagree with this notion.

Say you are listening to music or fragging away with your desktop speakers, the hum of the cooling fan will still be audible since we do not all use headphones. )

If all the above are true I don't thing that I will sacrifice another pci slot for GeForce FX. Also noise i becaming a serious issue.
What do u thing?

thcdru2k
12-08-02, 11:46 PM
too some, the noise will be too loud. but they're are some who have a **** load of case fans and still live with it. and than you will have those who will go the route of alternative cooling methods (water/etc).

personally i don't give a hoot about fan noise.

AngelGraves13
12-08-02, 11:47 PM
I had headphones.......they decided to screw up on me so I smashed 'em to bits with my fists. Oh, were we talking about how loud the fan was?? excuse me!

foivos
12-08-02, 11:51 PM
Ok about noise. But when I must live 2 pci slots empty for this card I go crazy....At least they could thing something else to make the card thinner.

thcdru2k
12-08-02, 11:53 PM
yeah..i could see where that would annoy some people. i thought it was only 1 at first. hopefully manufacturers have different cooling systems, without having to lower the clock on the card. i only use a pci nic, so if i do get one i won't have to worry.

AngelGraves13
12-08-02, 11:54 PM
I believe only the Ultra version of the card will have this cooling solution. eVGA will have their own I'm sure.

Zeno
12-09-02, 12:04 AM
It doesn't require 2 PCI slots, it requires the AGP slot plus the 1 PCI slot directly under it.

foivos
12-09-02, 12:29 AM
Did u read the first post?
If u want ga check it yourself:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6811

it covers 2 pci slots!!!!

pastor
12-09-02, 12:30 AM
anyway this pci slot is almost unusable due to IRQ conflics with AGP port

for the noise, this is a serious issue , i guess only the hardcore clocked ultra version will be noisy ..... and this is definitly nerd stuff for me :/

LORD-eX-Bu
12-09-02, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Zeno
It doesn't require 2 PCI slots, it requires the AGP slot plus the 1 PCI slot directly under it.

Yup, just like any decent AGP card today. It doesn't draw air from the inside of the case so it does not need a 2nd pci slot to be free, what it does it is sucks air from the back. So I don't know what the big deal is. If you don't want the big cooler, just get the high end version that doesn't have it, or get it from a manufacturer that doesn't have it. Either way, you are still going to be using the AGP slot + 1 PCI. And if you opt for one without the cooler that nVIDIA recommends you might end up having to free that second PCI slot in order for there not to be any obstruction to the source of air for the "substituted" cooler to suck air from inside the case. Either way, I don't have GFFX, so I don't know what I am talking about.;) :D :p

LORD-eX-Bu
12-09-02, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by foivos

umm... I only count 1 AGP slot and 1 PCI slot being occupied. What am I missing?:confused:

foivos
12-09-02, 12:35 AM
I don't have as well but we will have:D

foivos
12-09-02, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by [eNv]-LORD-eX-Bu
umm... I only count 1 AGP slot and 1 PCI slot being occupied. What am I missing?:confused:

It was what I read earlier:
"These shots give us a good idea of just how much space these monsters are going to take up inside our cases. As you can see, the heat pipe cooling technology is going to cover two of your first PCI slots – whether you like it or not, start to get used to the fact guys."

Lezmaka
12-09-02, 01:49 AM
Sorry, but its still only 1 PCI slot that is unusable. It takes up 2 slots on the back, but one of the slots is where a regular AGP card would be, and the other is the first PCI slot. They're just using the wrong terminology.

-=DVS=-
12-09-02, 03:21 AM
Yeah i also agree 1 AGP 1 PCI , someone havn't slept much i guess :rolleyes: seeing double eh ? lol :p

But if it is as loud as Delta fan then no thanks :o i got liquid cooled case not for showoff but to have less noise in room :mad: realy Nvidia screwing up users comfort is big disadvantage :(

Switch
12-10-02, 12:00 PM
I don't really mind the 2 slot thing, but "delta noise levels"... that be a no no.

saturnotaku
12-10-02, 12:26 PM
It was what I read earlier:
"These shots give us a good idea of just how much space these monsters are going to take up inside our cases. As you can see, the heat pipe cooling technology is going to cover two of your first PCI slots – whether you like it or not, start to get used to the fact guys."

And it says "two of your first PCI slots," not "your first two PCI slots." Big difference in the wording there. I'm pretty sure the person who wrote this was referring to the brackets on the back of your case where you mount your PCI/AGP devices. The AGP bracket is one, and the slot below it is the second. The picture clearly shows this. I think he was (mistakenly) calling the AGP bracket the first PCI. :)

Shadowx
12-11-02, 07:36 PM
if it performs as it should then i dont care of the noise or the pci been block if you are going to use this card you need a fairlly new system meaning onboard nic/sound.

=Super_n00b=
12-12-02, 12:09 AM
Hehehe it uses the AGP and the PCI under the agp .. But if you have a good Graphics card now you cant use the PCI under the AGP anyway i have a GeForce4Ti4600 Leadtech and it just about covers the top PCI..
And who cares about the noise if the FX goes HARD. most gamers have AMD's like me 2000+XP with a 7200RPM CPU cooler on it and it sounds like a harrier jump jet.. heheh noise is ok just turn your speakers up.. :D

Evildeus
12-12-02, 01:51 AM

The post is misleading as we can see on the pic :p

=Super_n00b=
12-12-02, 02:19 AM
ok you obviosly dont know what a PCI slot it ! It is 2 PCI slots wide yes.
BUT when it goes into the AGP it will only cover the TOP PCI slot.. Have a look at a picture of the card.

stncttr908
12-12-02, 07:00 AM
This whole post is about how tall it is outside the system? What's the big friggin deal anyway?

Hell, I won't even need any PCI slots w/an Asus A7N8X Deluxe board. Also if insane performance means noise, then so be it.

LORD-eX-Bu
12-12-02, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by stncttr908
What's the big friggin deal anyway?

Hell, I won't even need any PCI slots w/an Asus A7N8X Deluxe board. Also if insane performance means noise, then so be it.

Amen.:D

Acid Rain
12-12-02, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by thcdru2k
yeah..i could see where that would annoy some people. i thought it was only 1 at first. hopefully manufacturers have different cooling systems, without having to lower the clock on the card. i only use a pci nic, so if i do get one i won't have to worry.

I don't care for a lot of noise myself. I especially hate it when a high rpm fan decides to whine in addition to humming. But, this would never stop me from buying a high end graphics card. (It can't possibly be as bad as a whining delta...I hope.....;))

As far as the pci slot loss, I won't be doing any fuming, as my board (like MANY which are available) has six pci slots and all I use them for is an SB Audigy and a NIC.

I think we are in for good times, regardless of the cooling solution.