PDA

View Full Version : iPod overrated?

saturnotaku
04-11-05, 07:27 AM
http://poptech.blogspot.com/2005/04/ipod-overrated.html

Recently on vacation I found the iPod (and its variants) the most widely used and talked about MP3 player (which compelled me to write this). No one seems to know the shortcomings of the iPod, nor how massively overrated this player is. Simply put no one does any research. I recently heard on the morning news an anchor say, "Most people don't realize you have to install and configure software to get songs onto MP3 players" Unbelievable! Not only is this overrated player spreading huge misconceptions about MP3 players it is setting socially acceptable standards on bad design decisions.

I was in the same boat as this guy. I was thinking of getting an iPod mini, but seeing as how the batteries are not replaceable and use have to use iTunes to interface with it I'm glad I didn't make that purchase.

Starscream
04-11-05, 07:40 AM
I've tried friends Ipod's a few times and just don't like them.

If I were to buy a new mp3 player I'd want something that just showed up as a drive in my computer that I could just drag and drop music onto. I HATE having to use special software for stuff like that.

Another annoyance is the battery that you can't replace.

I also really freaking hate that wheel thing that's used for navigating the menus too.

jbirney
04-11-05, 08:07 AM
I have an ipod. Had others. Its not bad. So far love the user interface. Was not too happy with the limited play back options, but using a converter it only takes a few moments to covert your ogg/wma to mp3 format. Also using iTunes is not that bad either. Just inport all of your music and your done. Pluse when you get the free songs under the pepsi caps :) And finally I can hook it up to my new Apline Head Unit so.. :)

jAkUp
04-11-05, 11:14 AM
I got my girly and ipod mini for christmas. Its so easy to use and navigate with it blew me away. The click wheel is genious, and very simple to use. I got her an FM receiver for it, all you do is tune to a specific station on your radio, and your ipod works while driving on the stereo :)

I used to have a passionate hate for apple products... but I have to admit, that the ipod is really cool.

Riptide
04-11-05, 11:16 AM
I used to have a passionate hate for apple products... but I have to admit, that the ipod is really cool.
Traitor! :p

jAkUp
04-11-05, 11:17 AM
dammit! I knew this would happen ;)

superklye
04-11-05, 11:28 AM
I am so much happier with my Dell Pocket DJ. The "software" is basically a hacked Windows Explorer for dragging over music and there isn't any bloatware **** installed.

'Sides, I like the look of the player better.

LiquidX
04-11-05, 11:55 AM
I am so much happier with my Dell Pocket DJ. The "software" is basically a hacked Windows Explorer for dragging over music and there isn't any bloatware **** installed.

'Sides, I like the look of the player better.

I agree. I have the 20GB and its easy to use and I can store pratically all my important files on it. Anyone looking for the a Ipod alternitive check them out.

Ninjaman09
04-11-05, 12:11 PM
*shrug* I like my iPod, if only for convenience's sake. It's certainly not as awesome as it's made out to be but it's not that bad either. I have yet to feel "buyer's remorse" since my purchase.

|JuiceZ|
04-11-05, 01:45 PM
Love my ipod photo (40gig). Sure its not perfect but Apple has divised a rather intuitive interface thats extremely easy to use along with iTunes. Also eliminated my need for cds in the car since I use an alpine adapter to run into my CDA-9835 deck.

Absolution
04-11-05, 02:04 PM
heh i perfer my iriver 395 (512 mb) over my sisters ipod

its a lot lighter, smaller and i can store any type of file on it, its basically a memory stick with the ability to play mp3 (with you know.. all the mp3 player extras)

no software, supports a wide variety of extensions and can transfer to and from my mp3 player to my pc

the new irivers have the hd's (dont know how big, also nice color screens)

they can also record from the radio and have a mic and direct mp3 encoding, not bad ^^

jbirney
04-11-05, 02:43 PM
Love my ipod photo (40gig). Sure its not perfect but Apple has divised a rather intuitive interface thats extremely easy to use along with iTunes. Also eliminated my need for cds in the car since I use an alpine adapter to run into my CDA-9835 deck.

So how do you like that? Do you find the 255 play list limation to be a pain?

I plan to get the Apline 9851/3/5 and hook mine up as well. Just not sure how much money I want to spend. I know the 9851 will do the job, but why not upgrade for all the bling bing features the 9855 has :)

Rakeesh
04-11-05, 03:22 PM
The rio karma has more features and costs less than ipods of equivalent size...

http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/item_main_Rio.asp?model=261

Even has a docking station which includes RCA cables for a stereo, an ethernet port, among other features. Best of all, no gay software to install.

|JuiceZ|
04-11-05, 05:08 PM
So how do you like that? Do you find the 255 play list limation to be a pain?

I plan to get the Apline 9851/3/5 and hook mine up as well. Just not sure how much money I want to spend. I know the 9851 will do the job, but why not upgrade for all the bling bing features the 9855 has :)

Yea it is a pain but I live with it since none of my play list are that large. If you buy one though the only way to go is by using playlists because the scrolling speed is horribly slow. What takes seconds to scroll through manually on your ipod like say artists or genres, literally take mins to through your deck. Through a lot of research on different audio sites, mainly sound domain forums, I've found its not a limitation of the head unit itself but of the ipod interface adapter because its been reported by owners who have one hooked up to the newer 2005 models, like the 9855. Besides that though, its still the best of whats currently available on the market when it comes to playing your ipod in car. SQ is just like listening to a CD vs a crappy FM transmitter. Also you can use the media expander option (MX) found on the alpine head units thatís great for filling in the midbass and adding back the "warmth" that goes missing when you compress audio.

Anyways speaking of the 9855, I'll probably be picking one up or at least giving it a trial run as soon as it becomes available locally. (Never by car audio components w/o listening to them first ;)) The 2005 models have a much better ipod integration were as with last years model's, it was easy to tell it was more of an after thought because the adapter emulates a "cd changer". The only thing with the 9855 though is that its $100 cheaper than the 9835 because its missing "V-Drive" internal amp and a couple other features. This wouldn't detour me though cause I'm running my type-x 6.5" components through an MRV-T420.

UDawg
04-11-05, 06:03 PM
Iriver. That is my weapon of choice. You can put any file on it. It may not be the slickest interface but it is a better solution than Ipod. I have nothing against Ipod. I find that Iriver is a better product.

jbirney
04-11-05, 06:05 PM
|JuiceZ|,

FYI am I trying to work on a proggie to take your songs and make random play lists that are 255 songs long. Its not ideal but it would at least give you some measure of randomness...

einstein_314
04-11-05, 06:41 PM
Iriver. That is my weapon of choice. You can put any file on it. It may not be the slickest interface but it is a better solution than Ipod. I have nothing against Ipod. I find that Iriver is a better product.

I just thought that I'd point out that fact that windows can recognize an iPod as any old removable device. And then you can copy anything you want to it. And you don't need iTunes open to do that.

In fact, I think it might be possible to even boot from it. If it is connected to my computer, my bios recognizes it as a hard drive, so I think one would be able to install say...windows? onto it. I don't know if this would work or not but it would be worth a try I think.

I have a 20Gig iPod and I absolutely love it. I plug it into the aux in on my deck in my car and use it to play music. And I bought the memory card adaptor for it when I went on a holiday last year and used it to store all my pics I took with my digital camera on it. Worked great.

I don't get why everybody complains about the "battery issue" so much. Why do you want replacible batteries? Especially with the new ones, they last for what? 18 hours? And charge in 3? I've had my iPod for a year and a half now (got it in october 2003) and the batter is still running strong. And it was only the 8 hour battery to start with.

einstein_314
04-11-05, 06:44 PM
|JuiceZ|,

FYI am I trying to work on a proggie to take your songs and make random play lists that are 255 songs long. Its not ideal but it would at least give you some measure of randomness...

Why don't you just use the Party Shuffle playlist? You can get it to display up to 100 songs randomly picked from your library. And it will pick the higher ranked ones over lower ranked ones if you want it too. Then just copy the songs it pulls up into a new playlist.

superklye
04-11-05, 07:47 PM
The rio karma has more features and costs less than ipods of equivalent size...

http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/item_main_Rio.asp?model=261

Even has a docking station which includes RCA cables for a stereo, an ethernet port, among other features. Best of all, no gay software to install.
No gay software = huge +

MustangSVT
04-11-05, 07:58 PM
I don't think the iPod is overrated. It has a nice interface, slim design and intuitive software and also firewire support.

That being said, when I wanted to buy a hdd mp3 player about 2 months ago, I bought a Creative Zen Touch 20GB. You do have to install MediaSource and their lil' drivers, but I already had MediaSource from my creative sound card, and all it took was a 30s driver install.

As for putting music on it, you can either use it their software, or drag and drop in explorer. Anyway, the reason I went with it was because it was $329 CAD, whereas the Ipod was $399 CAD everywhere and I wasn't willing to pay $70 extra for that. Besides, the battery on mine lasts 24hours instead of the 18 or whatever of the newest ipod 20gb is (though it's not exactly as slim but i dont care).

My advice is when buying an mp3 player, look for something that supports vbr (all do nowadays I think), good interface (touch pad is very good), good battery life, and good display and then whichever is cheapest, in my case, i couldnt find a 20gb one cheaper than the creative zen touch.

saturnotaku
04-11-05, 09:01 PM
I don't get why everybody complains about the "battery issue" so much. Why do you want replacible batteries? Especially with the new ones, they last for what? 18 hours? And charge in 3? I've had my iPod for a year and a half now (got it in october 2003) and the batter is still running strong. And it was only the 8 hour battery to start with.

Say that again in a year or so when you'll be lucky to get 8 hours out of a charge. Until Energizer or Duracell comes up with a rechargable battery that doesn't lose its ability to hold a charge after repeated use, you're going to be stuck. Unless of course you have a unit with a second battery that you can put in.

einstein_314
04-11-05, 09:28 PM
Say that again in a year or so when you'll be lucky to get 8 hours out of a charge. Until Energizer or Duracell comes up with a rechargable battery that doesn't lose its ability to hold a charge after repeated use, you're going to be stuck. Unless of course you have a unit with a second battery that you can put in.

Well, mine only ever gets 8 hours out of a charge. It wasn't until the new generation of iPods that the battery life went up to what it is now. I have only had it die on me a couple of times. When I'm done with it for the day, I charge it. Then again, I don't use it as much as some people. I'll just have to see. And by the time the battery starts dying, it will be time to get a new one anyways.

jbirney
04-12-05, 08:25 AM
Why don't you just use the Party Shuffle playlist? You can get it to display up to 100 songs randomly picked from your library. And it will pick the higher ranked ones over lower ranked ones if you want it too. Then just copy the songs it pulls up into a new playlist.

Could do that. Just going by what I found out over in the ipodlounge forums. I guess some want to have to play all of the sonds on their playlist..

nVidi0t
04-12-05, 01:45 PM
The Ipod is the best MP3 player by miles simply because of the interface. Sound isn't bad, great speed, great accessory choice and it's sexy as hell. The only beef I have had with mine is that it scratches easily (a couple of hairlines the first day I got it) but get an iSkin and you can throw it about at the gym etc.