PDA

View Full Version : Is there a "FIX" for the Window LockUp issue with SLI yet?

Pages : [1] 2 3

newls1
04-11-05, 11:41 AM
Im getting really mad now that I can't get a performing driver without it "FREEZING" or hard locking windows, with my 6800U SLI setup. I know MANY others are having this issue, so I was wondering if I fell off the bandwagon, and someone came up with the "FIX" yet?

newls1
04-11-05, 12:06 PM
Is it possible to make this a sticky, so everyone can post in here and let eveyone know which driver causes windows to lock up while using SLI setups..... And HOPE anyone from the NVIDIA driver team reads this, and makes a fix...

monkeydust
04-11-05, 12:15 PM
The 71.84 drivers are the only recent ones that don't cause issues for me.

garikfox
04-11-05, 01:07 PM
Possibly that G.Skill is not liking that mobo. :(

newls1
04-11-05, 01:17 PM
Possibly that G.Skill is not liking that mobo. :(
No, its not the ram.

garikfox
04-11-05, 01:31 PM
Maybe try this. Make sure the EZ-Card is all the way in, sometimes they can be a bugger to get in all the way.

Also seems to me with 2 x Ultras and 4 x HDs u are runnin a very HIGH Load, I would seriously try a 600w :)

Just read up on your PSU, alot of peeps are having problems with that same one u have. :(

newls1
04-11-05, 01:40 PM
Maybe try this. Make sure the EZ-Card is all the way in, sometimes they can be a bugger to get in all the way.

Also seems to me with 2 x Ultras and 4 x HDs u are runnin a very HIGH Load, I would seriously try a 600w :)

Just read up on your PSU, alot of peeps are having problems with that same one u have. :(
Guys, im not looking for support on my hardware, there is a known issue with 6800U's in SLI with any 75.xx-76.xx driver that locks up windows. I'm wanting everyone to post in here if your having the same issues. Its not my PSU, (have PCP&c 510 SLI) its not my ram, its not anything in my computer, ITS THE VIDEO CARD DRIVERS CAUSING ALL THIS......

OWA
04-11-05, 01:43 PM
Just use the *official* driver, 71.84, since it seems to be stable for most people.

skoprowski
04-11-05, 02:56 PM
What's wrong with 71.84 besides the temp bug? I have never had a single lockup with my SLI system using these drivers. All the games I play work perfectly fine too.

PSYCHODAD
04-11-05, 02:57 PM
What's wrong with 71.84 besides the temp bug? I have never had a single lockup with my SLI system using these drivers. All the games I play work perfectly fine too.

Same here.

shawn1998
04-11-05, 03:14 PM
I think what he is getting at, or at least what the point should be, is that the newer beta sets are not cooperating with SLI. Hopefully NVidia is aware of this and don't try and release an official set based on the beta's that are not working with SLI.
The fact that the 71.84's work just fine is valid and true, but hopefully when newer official sets are released, they will work with SLI. I think newls1 just wants NVidia to be aware of this and frankly, so do I.

Shawn

newls1
04-11-05, 03:45 PM
I think what he is getting at, or at least what the point should be, is that the newer beta sets are not cooperating with SLI. Hopefully NVidia is aware of this and don't try and release an official set based on the beta's that are not working with SLI.
The fact that the 71.84's work just fine is valid and true, but hopefully when newer official sets are released, they will work with SLI. I think newls1 just wants NVidia to be aware of this and frankly, so do I.

Shawn

DUDE, that is 100% correct :D . Nvidia must know that were having major issues.

saturnotaku
04-11-05, 05:09 PM
Keep in mind that there are multiple driver teams at NVIDIA. One of them works on the 71.xx releases, the other 75.xx and beyond. I hope there is some good communication among them where they are aware of the bugs among the various sets.

newls1
04-11-05, 06:31 PM
can this post be STICKY'ed?????? This will be a great place to post all the freezing issues with SLI computers...

garikfox
04-11-05, 07:36 PM
Try not to get tunnel vision. :)

It very well be what I have mentioned many things above which are truly legitimate. i know i know...... :)

ChrisRay
04-11-05, 08:10 PM
The bug is known about. But the drivers are non official and beta however, just stick with the officials until its ironed out.

shawn1998
04-11-05, 08:16 PM
You're saying he should look at a bigger psu than the 510 by PC P&C? I'm sure a select few may be having issues, but not very many, myself in the "no problems" catagory. I think there are far more psu's having issues than this one, it is far and away one of the strongest on the market and one of only three (two of the three are by PC P&C) approved and certified by NVidia for SLI.
As far as tunnel vision, I install the 76.xx drivers and cold boot, IE will not load, only hangs. I install the 71.89 and .84's, IE loads no problem. I have tried every driver previous to the 76.xx series and have never seen that problem, nothing even close. Power supply? Hardly. Driver issue, absolutley. It's not tunnel vision, it is the process of elimination. Always look to the last thing changed prior to the problem, which would be installing the latest drivers, but does not include changing out psu's.
I'm not trying to flame, I'm just getting tired of when people post about something not being right with NVidia's beta drivers, good heavens it could never be the driver, it must be either operator error or your psu.

Shawn

Geebs
04-12-05, 08:39 AM
Im getting really mad now that I can't get a performing driver without it "FREEZING" or hard locking windows, with my 6800U SLI setup. I know MANY others are having this issue, so I was wondering if I fell off the bandwagon, and someone came up with the "FIX" yet?

Hi Guys,

I have been trawling the net looking for other people with this issue...

I have used ONLY the 71.84 WHQL and the 76.44 WHQL, and I have the SLI lockup issue...

I even formatted the HDD and installed a fresh copy of both drivers on 2 separate occasions, but it still locks up.

The funny thing is that my system will play any game all day long, be it HL2, Far Cry, Doom 3, Joint Ops, SC:CT, etc etc... all without a hitch. Then I'll get up from the pc and the Mrs. will log me off and then log herself back on under her user name. The system will behave as it should while she surfs, emails, and other light load tasks. When she finishes, she the logs off, and the system will remain at the welcome screen until I log back in again.

It is at this point, that I try to resume playing my games, and the system either locks up completely, or if it does get into a game or benchmark, the screen has these visible bands that move up and down until the system hard locks...

The only way around it for me, is to disable SLi mode, restart, and then enable SLi mode, and restart again.

As I said, I have tried both WHQL sets, and they both cause these issues. However, the 76.44 are worse IMHO. They cause more lockups than the 71.89's.

So, in short, I agree with newls1. There is definitely seems to be a problem with these drivers. Hopefully nVidia will read some of this, and work on a fix, considering I just spent the guts of 1300 for my graphics sub-system.

Blue078
04-12-05, 09:33 AM
I have just ran the 76.44 for two days now, and am haveing what I call big issues with SLI. I can install the drivers reboot and every thing works just as it should game ect ect. But when I either Power down the PC or Log off and log back on, thats when the fun begins.

Trying to run any game results in lockup, trying to open Outlook Express results in Lockup. Reinstalling the drivers fixes the issue, untill the next shutdown, then the cycle begains again.

Useing the Official 71.84 OCing doesnt work. My two XFX 68gt's OC nicley and I have gotten used to the extra FPS i get from runing them @440/1100.

The only drivers I have found to not have such big SLI issues are 67.66, and the leaked 71.90.

saturnotaku
04-12-05, 09:34 AM
I genuinely want to know if there is anything overly complicated about rolling back to the official 71.84 drivers that NVIDIA themselves are endorsing on their own Web site. It's not as if those drivers are horribly out of date.

I've had the same issues with my SLI setup, but rolling back the drivers have so far completely solved the problem. And if ChrisRay is to be believed (there is absolutely no reason to think he shouldn't be) this issue will be fixed in a subsequent release. We have people on this forum who are part of the NV developer program and they have insights the rest of us do not.

Yes, it sucks that this is broken but it's not as if this is an issue that 1) dates back a long way and/or 2) is not being addressed by NVIDIA. They were able to fix the temperature bug, and I have no reason to think they won't fix this.

Blue078
04-12-05, 09:45 AM
And forget about OCing untill drivers are fixed :thumbdwn: No thanks, I'll just stick with the 67.66's and keep makeing my own profiles.
Surely some day this year we'll get some compleatly working official drivers.

PSYCHODAD
04-12-05, 12:34 PM
The official 71.84 drivers work perfectly for me in sli. Also, I'm able to overclock them by switching to single card mode and rebooting then enabling sli (2d and 3d will be the same tho).
If you have had problems with the 71.84s, make sure you have completely uninstalled any previous versions(driver cleaner etc, etc.) before installing the new drivers and see if that helps.

Geebs
04-12-05, 01:33 PM
I am running the 71.84 drivers sanctioned by nVidia on their website, saturnotaku... they don't fix my problems. It is not that hard to roll back. But what do ya do when everything you've read from nVidia says that the 71.84's are the best performing drivers in SLI? You are more than likely going to expect to not have to reboot your PC 20 times a day in order to use the kit you just refinanced your house to buy... not to mention the hit that your WAF took to get you your new toys... and then, when she starts asking in her non technical, I told you not to spend that much money, wife tone, what's wrong with your PC... why is the screen like that? What the f*!k did you spend all that money for? For that? Then she says::tool: (Yes, that is a very popular expression around here when the new PC starts acting up :( )

PSYCHODAD, I am glad that you aren't having any issues... and thanks for your suggestion... but as I stated, I have had this issue since building my system this week. Both drivers that are WHQL certified that I have installed have caused me problems. Even on top of a low level format, followed by a full NTFS format, and then a fresh install of OS and drivers...

Please, someone from nVidia help us get around this issue... It could mean the difference between me being married (as of June 18 ;) ), and me being single again...

PSYCHODAD
04-12-05, 01:52 PM
Geebs.. Sorry to hear your having problems with your rig. Have you tried running your system in single card mode to see if the problems still persist?

Another thing you may want to try is the 67.66 drivers. They were very stable and worked great in sli.

Geebs
04-12-05, 02:47 PM
Geebs.. Sorry to hear your having problems with your rig. Have you tried running your system in single card mode to see if the problems still persist?

Another thing you may want to try is the 67.66 drivers. They were very stable and worked great in sli.

No PSYCHODAD, I haven't tried the 67.66's , but I will give them a go... although I read that they weren't very good performing drivers...

Once the 71.84's are running, they run really well on my system... Good framerates and IQ... but as I have only been on the nVidia bandwagon for less than a week, I'm sure I have a lot to learn about what drivers are best.

As for trying in single card mode, yes I have, and the problem goes away... it only appears in SLI mode...

Thanks again for you suggestions though, I will give those drivers a shot tomorrow :)