PDA

View Full Version : Everquest 2 and SLI

slinks
04-11-05, 12:42 PM
Was wondering if we have any everquest 2 players here that are using sli. I just recently upgraded to sli and it doesn’t seem to be doing anything in eq2. I have sli enabled, and im using the eq2 profile but when I compare frame rates between sli enabled or disabled they are exactly the same like its not actually in sli, but the load balancing scale says both gpu's are being fully used. I have tried a couple different drivers with the same outcome. I am using the latest official drivers from nvidia and I have also tried 2 of the latest drivers posted on guru3d. Im running the game at 1600x1200 in balanced mode. I also run the game in a window if that makes any difference. if any one has any experience with SLI and eq2 I would appreciate your input. Thanks

garikfox
04-11-05, 12:54 PM
I run it all the time in SLI, Some old drivers do have the profile but dont activate the actual SLI mode like AFR etc. U need to be using driver 76.44 :)

Good luck :)

slinks
04-11-05, 01:02 PM
Ok ill give thoes drivers a shot. Do you recomend making your own profile or is there a way to just manually set it to AFR. Im at work right now so ill be trying this when i get home. And does window mode make a difference?

Oh and just to let you know i have the same video cards as you do. EVGA thought it was smart to put a little crapy round sticker on the fan to be uh original. Well that little sticker has bad glue on it. The sticker poped off on one of my cards and got sucked in to the fan luckly I was at the computer when it happened so just as fyi you might wanna take thoes stickers off.

garikfox
04-11-05, 01:38 PM
Dont use windowed mode just load up 76.44 and set ur profile to everquest2 then set options too etc., Off, Off, Quality, V-sync App. Controlled. The SLI mode it will use is AFR which is best.

Cool I'll look into that little sticker thing right now lol that scares me.

H-street
04-11-05, 01:49 PM
Ok ill give thoes drivers a shot. Do you recomend making your own profile or is there a way to just manually set it to AFR. Im at work right now so ill be trying this when i get home. And does window mode make a difference?

Oh and just to let you know i have the same video cards as you do. EVGA thought it was smart to put a little crapy round sticker on the fan to be uh original. Well that little sticker has bad glue on it. The sticker poped off on one of my cards and got sucked in to the fan luckly I was at the computer when it happened so just as fyi you might wanna take thoes stickers off.

lol that is funny..

the sticker on my EVGA 6800GT did the same thing..

garikfox
04-11-05, 02:02 PM
Phew, mine are still there for now anyway , lol :)

slinks
04-11-05, 02:05 PM
I wonder how many rma's they are gonna get because of that super original sticker which really is the only reason I baught thoes cards i just couldnt resist a crapy white sticker with EVGA printed in plain text.

Oh ull know when it happens either your fan will stop spinning or ull hear the noise of a baseball card in the spokes of your sweet BMX ride.

H-street
04-11-05, 03:51 PM
I'm just curious..

in SWG , SLI only helps at high res/high AA/AF..

the same is for the matrix online..

i'm just curious if the reason that SLI isn't giving a boost for you is because EQ2, like the other MMO's i've tried at low settings just dont' benefit from it...

ChrisRay
04-11-05, 07:12 PM
SLI helps EQ @ @ 1600x1200 with 4xAA/8xAF and 1280x1024 with 4xAA/8xAF. Keep in mind EQ 2 is not a completely GPU limited game. I have found there are many places where EQ 2 does not benefit in performance at all and there are some "effects" which will cause SLI to fail in this game. ((bloom))

I have considered writing a performance/tweak guide for SLI users to help them properly tweak EQ 2 but I havent really had the time recently.

slinks
04-12-05, 09:02 AM
Yeah I am beginning to see that. Now that I got the sli working properly (at least I think) watching the gpu scale the 2 gpu's are barrly being used most the time around about 30% or so to bad the game cant take more use of all that available video power. The game in the basic balanced mode is still pretty much totaly unplayable for me other then maybe soloing once im in a group i need to turn the grafix down a notch. Ill try turning bloom off see if that helps. and id love to hear any more hints you might have to tweeking the game.

Sgt_Pitt
04-12-05, 01:38 PM
just wait for the next official nvidia drivers, they are supposed to have some eq2 optimizations

slinks
04-12-05, 02:21 PM
just wait for the next official nvidia drivers, they are supposed to have some eq2 optimizations

I would love some EQ2 optimizations that would make my day :) is there any word on the possible release date?

ChrisRay
04-12-05, 08:06 PM

Well I doubt these will fix the "Render to texture" issues in game. Such as Bloom. So I would expect a certain amount of tweaking is still in order. Hmmm The question I am asking now. If I created an Everquest 2 tweak guide for performance/quality would anyone actually read it/use it?

scoote69
04-12-05, 09:09 PM
Id not only read but help with it. Been using sli since january with good results. Biuggest problems are widescreen/dvi shake and drop in fps when more than 4 people get in my line of sight.

slinks
04-13-05, 03:28 PM
Well I doubt these will fix the "Render to texture" issues in game. Such as Bloom. So I would expect a certain amount of tweaking is still in order. Hmmm The question I am asking now. If I created an Everquest 2 tweak guide for performance/quality would anyone actually read it/use it?

I vote for Hell Yeah

slinks
04-13-05, 03:34 PM
Well as far as i can tell im just not gonna be able to run this game in ballanced mode at 1600x1200 the frame rates just take a huge hit using the ballanced mode even with bloom off and shadows disabled. And the other thing ive noticed is the gup's are barrly being used at all maybe 30% or so of each I wish the game could utilize a bit more of that video processing power thats under the hood but it seems to rely more heavily on cpu power then GPU.

H-street
04-13-05, 03:40 PM
Well as far as i can tell im just not gonna be able to run this game in ballanced mode at 1600x1200 the frame rates just take a huge hit using the ballanced mode even with bloom off and shadows disabled. And the other thing ive noticed is the gup's are barrly being used at all maybe 30% or so of each I wish the game could utilize a bit more of that video processing power thats under the hood but it seems to rely more heavily on cpu power then GPU.

when you say balanced mode are you referring to the SLI Method (AFR vs SFR?)

EQ2 has an Nvidia SLI Profile..

i probably would trust their profile for the SLI setup before i would default it back to SFR or AFR(2)

slinks
04-14-05, 11:08 AM
no balanced mode is a predefined quality setting in eq2 (the lowest quality setting that actually has good textures). I have tried nvidias eq2 profile as well as making my own profile using afr afr2 with really no difference in performance.