PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 headset?

SFL
04-12-05, 02:12 AM
I've read about 5.1 headsets and I am now thinking about buying one :)

I am currently using a stereo headset. Is it worth it buying a 5.1 one? Which manufacturer could you recommend? I read a lot of good reviews about Plantronics headsets (http://www.plantronic.com/europe_union/en_GB/index_noflash.jhtml), but it seems that they don't offer 5.1 ones.

Thanks!

Blade
04-12-05, 02:54 AM
Just bought a Gainward "Hollywood@Home" Sound explosion 5.1 set & am very very pleased with it, using it on an Audigy 2 card with some amazing results.

gram_vaz
04-12-05, 03:11 AM
i have zalman 5.1. awesome headset. you get to hear every single sound from 5.1 movies now. :D

here's a xbit labs review of [zalman 5.1] (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/multimedia/display/zalman-head.html)

zoomy942
04-12-05, 05:59 AM
i have a kinyo 5.1 headset, mainly cause most headsets require you to climb behind the pc and unplug your headphones to plg in your speakers but the kinyo have a passthrough box, and you plug the headphones and speakers into it, and just choose what you want to listen to. its nice

saturnotaku
04-12-05, 06:51 AM
i have a kinyo 5.1 headset, mainly cause most headsets require you to climb behind the pc and unplug your headphones to plg in your speakers but the kinyo have a passthrough box, and you plug the headphones and speakers into it, and just choose what you want to listen to. its nice

Where did you buy this headset? I'd be very interested in picking one up.

SFL
04-12-05, 07:02 AM
Are there also 5.1 headsets with a mic available?

gram_vaz
04-12-05, 07:52 AM
i'm also interested. i'm currently using soundstorm for speakers and audigy 2zs for the headset. it would be nice if i could use the audigy for both.

[edit] found them at [newegg] (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=36-401-016&depa=0) and [amazon] (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00013BLEK/qid=1113310448/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-4888733-2325606?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846) looks nice.

zoomy942
04-12-05, 08:19 AM
sat - yeah, newegg is where i got them. i really like them.

saturnotaku
04-12-05, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I checked around this morning and I ended up ordering them from one of the Amazon marketplace shops as the final cost was about $5 less than what Newegg would have charged.

I'm looking forward to trying them out as I only have a 2.1 speaker setup. I don't have enough space in my room for anything more than that so hopefully the headset will be a nice alternative.

zoomy942
04-12-05, 08:50 AM
you wont be dissappointed

saturnotaku
04-12-05, 09:12 AM
you wont be dissappointed

If I am, I will hold you responsible. :p

carkis
04-12-05, 11:26 AM
Those are pretty darn cheap. Just ordered them, and hopefully I can finally get some decent surround sound without upsetting the apt below.

ricercar
04-12-05, 04:17 PM
My Zalman 5.1 headphones are weak on the low end (bass) compared to my favorite closed-ear stereo phones (Koss Pro4AA). However, I got the Zalman 5.1 phones, Zalman 5.1 preamp and Zalman clip-on mic in a bundle for $80 from Sharka.com so I can't complain much.

wheeljack12
04-12-05, 08:08 PM
My brother has the Zalman 5.1 headphones and the Zalman 5.1 amplifier. I plug my speakers and my headphones in that and I can control both volumes from the amplifier. Easy setup once you have the speakers connected.

zoomy942
04-12-05, 09:43 PM
but what about eax and stuff like that? will it come from the usb port?

|JuiceZ|
04-13-05, 09:29 AM
but what about eax and stuff like that? will it come from the usb port?

USB headsets work basically by using a sound chip intergrated into the headset, thats why it requires no driver install. If the chip doesn't support EAX, you won't get it.

wheeljack12
04-13-05, 12:48 PM
now something like those USB headphones for creative to make would be good for a alternative if you couldn't afford a extigy and headphones. Mind you creative would come up a way to charge the same price rather than give the customer a choice. Don't get me wrong, I like Creative hardware. I don't care for their propritary marketing strategy.

saturnotaku
04-13-05, 01:57 PM
I don't care for their propritary marketing strategy.

Well, when consumers really have no choice in the market for third-party sound cards you can pretty much do whatever you want. That's a sad reality of the business. Heck, Creative is even trying to dip its fingers into the onboard audio pie. My Neo4 SLI board uses a Live 24-bit 7.1 chip. It's not bad by any stretch, but as typical of Creative, the drivers that came with the board are the only ones available.