PDA

View Full Version : Thermalright Xp-90 Holy Sh!@#!!

lytalbayre
04-12-05, 02:52 PM
I just had to share this!!!! This Heat sink is amazing or my MOB is totally displaying the wrong CPU temps....

I have it on a Athlon 64 3000+ winchester core with a 90mm Zalman fan blowing 38CFM at 20db. I used AS5.

At stock speeds my IDLE CPU temp is 19C (ambient temp is 32C)... under load this jumps to 28C.

OC'd chip to 2.2Ghz and idle is 24C load is 33C.

I definately have to recommend this as the best heatsink I've ever used and the most quiet... even compared to the thermalright 948U with a 20db arctic cooling fan.

My set-up is
K8TNeo2-F (3.31A BIOS)
A64 3000+ (winchester)
2x512MB PC4200 Patriot mem at250mhz
2x80gig maxtor sata drives in Raid 0
XFX 6800 ultra
audigy pci
DVD-RW
DVD
Vantec stealth 520W psu

Riptide
04-12-05, 02:53 PM
I'd have to guess it's misreporting. Anything less than 38-40c on air is really difficult to accept IMO.

Your board had temp reporting issues with early BIOS. That should be fixed and all but hmmm....

saturnotaku
04-12-05, 03:06 PM
I gotta agree with Rip. At that ambient temperature, there is no way your system would be that low. Your idle temp is probably more in the 35-40 range and load around 45-48. That's still not bad by any stretch, but I would be very suspect of what your board is reporting.

Viffer5
04-12-05, 08:17 PM
No way that it runs colder than ambient temps. :thumbdwn:

Viral
04-12-05, 10:06 PM
Maybe it's misreporting your ambient temps? Do you have anything that you can measure the ambient temp with?

I wouldn't say those temps are impossible, I got similar results with my 947U on an XP running very high voltage, but that was with an ambient temp of below 20C.

Clay
04-12-05, 10:56 PM
Agreed with everyone else here. I had a similar system to yours and my temps were double checked against another thermal probe.
http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/thermalright_xp-90/page3.shtml

JoKeRr
04-13-05, 12:11 AM
maybe if he was in Canada like me, when the room temp is usually kept at around 64F in the winter. I've seen my CPU boot up with temp at 22 degree celcius before.

bkswaney
04-13-05, 12:36 AM
I would say your temp is reading wrong for sure.

Roliath
04-13-05, 08:43 AM
I just got mine in the mail today from frozencpu.com, and man is it a beauty!
It was on sale for 29.99, so i couldn't pass that up!
I also ordered a 92mm Panaflo M1A, but did not know it didn't not come with a fan tail.
So I had to put that on order also!

zoomy942
04-13-05, 08:57 AM
his temps seem a little low, but not crazy low. my pc runs at 28 idle and 37 load... but my ratio of ambient temp to cpu temp isnt that far apart.

Chevyman03
04-13-05, 10:21 AM
I run 38-39 under load with a xp-90 on a winchester 3200 overclocked to 2.75 ghz. Unless my Dfi nf4 mobo reads wrong. I can tell you that the heatsink don't even really get warm under full load. This overclock is with only 1.595 vcore.

Viffer5
04-13-05, 01:15 PM
his temps seem a little low, but not crazy low. my pc runs at 28 idle and 37 load... but my ratio of ambient temp to cpu temp isnt that far apart.

Unless his PC has developed the ability to defy the laws of thermodynamics, there is no way to get the processer to run at 19C when the air circulating through the heat sink is 32C (ambient case temps). The ambient air being hotter than the heat sink would warm up the heatsink (and inversely the air passing through the supposedly 19C cooled heat sink will cool the ambient air) until they both reached the same temperature.

The only way you can cool below ambient temps is with a peltier, liquid nitrogen or phase change device. Even expensive water cooling @ 100% efficiency (I'm presuming here) can only cool under best case scenario to ambient or room temperatures.

Sorry to burst your bubble. :(

I would seriously look into correcting whatever is misreporting those figures because there is a remote possibility that since those numbers are obviously wrong, they may be substantially higher than what they are being reported, even to the point of being dangerous. I doubt that a high quality fan/heat sink would generate damaging numbers, but if the contact patch to the chip is not good, the chip is OC'd and your fan is turning too slow, even the best fan/heat sink could cause CPU damage.

Get it fixed ASAP.

Riptide
04-13-05, 01:41 PM
If the heatsink feels warm to the touch (not hot) at load then I bet it's just fine. The BIOS has a problem or the board's hardware monitoring chip is messed up. Probably one or the other.

Reflash the BIOS w/current version. If that doesn't help, flash to an older BIOS.

zoomy942
04-13-05, 01:46 PM
Unless his PC has developed the ability to defy the laws of thermodynamics, there is no way to get the processer to run at 19C when the air circulating through the heat sink is 32C (ambient case temps). The ambient air being hotter than the heat sink would warm up the heatsink (and inversely the air passing through the supposedly 19C cooled heat sink will cool the ambient air) until they both reached the same temperature.

The only way you can cool below ambient temps is with a peltier, liquid nitrogen or phase change device. Even expensive water cooling @ 100% efficiency (I'm presuming here) can only cool under best case scenario to ambient or room temperatures.

Sorry to burst your bubble. :(

I would seriously look into correcting whatever is misreporting those figures because there is a remote possibility that since those numbers are obviously wrong, they may be substantially higher than what they are being reported, even to the point of being dangerous. I doubt that a high quality fan/heat sink would generate damaging numbers, but if the contact patch to the chip is not good, the chip is OC'd and your fan is turning too slow, even the best fan/heat sink could cause CPU damage.

Get it fixed ASAP.

very true, but then again.. where is the sensor that is showing ambient temps? if its near the PSU or something like that, that might have something to do with it.

but i agree that it is misreporting, cuase even if the sensor for ambient temps is somewhere warm.. is shouldnt be that much of a temp difference

lytalbayre
04-13-05, 06:19 PM
Just read all the responses... yeah... I figured the MOB was misreading... to bad.

Just to let you all know, I do have the latest BIOS, and the ambient temp in the system seems to be reporting fine.

Room temp is only around 60F.

The actual heatsink is luke warm at best to the touch... definately not hot...

I should check out the MSI forums and see if this board has a history of misreading temps...

Anyhow, thanks for all the feedback.... I still absoutely love this heatsink! It's ridiculous! Got it from SVC.com for like $25.

Later all.

Riptide
04-13-05, 11:09 PM
As I mentioned the earlier BIOS had problems w/temps. I used to have a Neo2. Had it preordered when it came out. It usually reported temps high, not low though.

1337_Like_ThaT
04-15-05, 08:36 PM
Ahhh, once again Thermalright at its finest. Though his initial readings might be off, I'm sure his temps are going to be impressive anyways, especially if his room temp is @ 60F. :beer:

lostlilchild66
04-16-05, 03:13 PM
These HSF's are awesome! I have a 92mm tornado on mine, and with it at it's lowest speed (vantec fan controller), my A64 used to stay cooler than my northbridge! =O