PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Zalman 7700-cu

Namrok
04-14-05, 08:11 PM
I'm using an Abit AV8 mobo, an Athlon 64 3500 and the Zalman 7700-cu HSF. Problem is, my temps shot up instead of down with it. Idling I stay around 45 and I max out around 51 or so. Just using the stock HSF I was around 25 idle and 44 under a load. I know I did something wrong in applying the right amount of thermal paste, but I can't figure out what the right amount is. I've been experimenting with with it all day but my temps never change.

I started out putting on only as much as a grain of rice and spreading it around the CPU evenly with my credit card like I'd heard of people doing with some success, but that appears to not be going so well. Any advice?

Riptide
04-14-05, 08:15 PM
Go check out Abit's forums here.
http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?threadid=58868

Welcome to the AV8. :D
I'm not sure I'd trust it's temperature readings much. Luckily it's a good board otherwise.

Namrok
04-14-05, 10:49 PM
I'd be inclined to beleive that it was just the mobo reporting poorly were Prime95's stress test not flipping out on me too.

I can't figure this out for the life of me. The heatsink is relatively cool to the touch, even with the stresstest humming away and the CPU being reported at 60 C and Prime95 crapping out. I followed all the directions and it's screwed in tight. Re-applied the thermal paste by just putting a small bit in the center and screwing in the heatsink. Temps are still exactly the same. Each time I do this I completely clean the surfaces with rubbing alchohol.

Riptide
04-15-05, 12:31 AM
In your BIOS try setting a FSB of 200. It defaults to 204 and believe it or not I've seen that cause problems before.

Namrok
04-16-05, 05:28 AM
Eventually worked it out. My ram's timings were too aggressive. Oddly enough, the only one that made any difference was my DRAM Command timing. CAS#, tRP and tRCD did nothing. Defaulted to 1T and changing it to 2T allowed me to OC up to a 221 FSB and torture test Prime95 for 12 hours straight while I slept.

My temps are all over the place, but the Zalman stays cool to the touch and Prime95 runs like a champ so I assume the temps that the mobo is reported are bunk.