PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this computer?

einstein_314
04-14-05, 10:07 PM
A friend of mine has asked me to build him a computer. His budget is $2000 Canadian (so about $1600 US). He will be using this computer for surfing the net, listening to music and watching movies. He would like to get a LCD too. What do you think of the below configuration?

AMD A64 3000+
Asus A8V Deluxe Rev2.0 Mobo
1 GB Corsair Value Select Dual Channel Kit PC3200
200GB Seagate HD
Logitech Keyboard and mouse
Audigy 2ZS 7.1 Sound Card
LG 16x DVD-RW Dual Layer DVD burner
eVGA Geforce FX5200
Samsung 710N 17" LCD

Comes to $1971 and change with taxes and shipping.

I'm open to any suggestions and comments. I'm going to be ordering all the components from NCIX (http://www.ncix.com). If you have a LCD that you use for watching movies on, please let me know what it is, and whether you like it or not. I think the 710N is pretty good because it has a contrast ratio of 600:1 and viewing angles of 160/160 which is pretty high these days. And the response time is 12ms.

Also, regarding the video card, he's not going to be doing any gaming on it. Do you think I could get away with a lower end card? Like a FX5200? Or maybe something from ATI? I've never owned an ATI card so any insite into a good one to get for just watching movies would be great.

Thanks a bunch,

Devin

EDIT: Updated config as I've made changes

Roliath
04-14-05, 11:05 PM
Whoa!
With 1600 dollars US, you can have a VERY nice rig!
For that price, that rig is way overpriced imo.

einstein_314
04-14-05, 11:27 PM
Well, it's not really overpriced at all. Of the $1900 dollars, about $350 is tax, shipping and shipping insurance. Unlike you, I have to pay 14% tax on everything. So there is only actually $1550 CAD (or $1200 US) of components here. And $350 of that is a LCD. So $1200 CAD ($975 US) for the tower. That's not a lot to spend of the actual parts.

Roliath
04-15-05, 12:29 AM
Oh your from Canada, sorry bout that.
I'll let other readers chime in on what they think.

jAkUp
04-15-05, 12:33 AM
If your not gonna do any gaming, you could even go down to an FX5200 and not even notice a difference...

Clay
04-15-05, 12:38 AM
Agreed with jAkUp. If he's fine with software MPEG decoding then yeah, go as low as you can on the video card. Maybe even scale back the proc and system memory and use the difference to move up to a 19" LCD instead.

einstein_314
04-16-05, 12:50 PM
Ok, that's what I figured regarding the video card. Thanks guys. Now, does anyone have any recomendations for LCD's that are great for watching movies on?

jAkUp
04-16-05, 01:03 PM
A good dell or samsung with a low response time should work great :)

1337_Like_ThaT
04-16-05, 01:12 PM
Well, it's not really overpriced at all. Of the $1900 dollars, about $350 is tax, shipping and shipping insurance. Unlike you, I have to pay 14% tax on everything. So there is only actually $1550 CAD (or $1200 US) of components here. And $350 of that is a LCD. So $1200 CAD ($975 US) for the tower. That's not a lot to spend of the actual parts.

14% Taxes??????? OUch!! :eek:

*Finds American Flag and salutes* (salute)

Kickus_assius
04-16-05, 04:07 PM
My bro has the 710N and it's a great monitor. 12 ms is more than enough for movies. It also has ghost-free gaming. I know what ghosting looks like since my laptop was terrible for that. I would recommend this monitor, but don't pay more than $450 CAN for it. I would double check prices at atic.ca. They are also Vancouver based and I find that they beat NCIX's prices on a lot of items.

Oh, and for the Americans not all of Canada pays 14%, just certain provinces. We have a Canada-wide GST tax of 7%, (which should not have been passed at all through the legal system), and then the provinces set their taxes accordingly on top of the GST, (Goods and Services Tax). Alberta, for instance, only is 7% as they have no PST, (Provincial Sales Tax).

einstein_314
04-16-05, 06:23 PM
My bro has the 710N and it's a great monitor. 12 ms is more than enough for movies. It also has ghost-free gaming. I know what ghosting looks like since my laptop was terrible for that. I would recommend this monitor, but don't pay more than $450 CAN for it. I would double check prices at atic.ca. They are also Vancouver based and I find that they beat NCIX's prices on a lot of items.

Oh, and for the Americans not all of Canada pays 14%, just certain provinces. We have a Canada-wide GST tax of 7%, (which should not have been passed at all through the legal system), and then the provinces set their taxes accordingly on top of the GST, (Goods and Services Tax). Alberta, for instance, only is 7% as they have no PST, (Provincial Sales Tax).

Hey! A fellow british columbian. Sweet. Where abouts in BC are you? Thanks for telling me about atic.ca. I never even knew they existed. By pricematching a bunch of stuff I got the price down a good $150. I think I'm going to go with the 710N. Looks pretty good.

MustangSVT
04-16-05, 08:10 PM
I have the Samsung 710N myself. Paid $369 CAD for it at my local hardware store in Calgary. That sucks that you have to pay 14% taxes for the computer parts. I only have to pay 7% over here.

Depending on where you are in BC (Vancouver?), you should really try to find good deals locally. Now if you're in some small town, then you're probably out of luck. I'm assuming shipping would pretty expensive on a fully assembled computer (heavy with case with full components) plus the package of the monitor.

moshpit
04-16-05, 08:35 PM
Samsung LCD's are all I use. I love the 710N, seen it on several customers rigs, I use the 191t+ myself and have loved the hell outta it. As a matter of fact, my wife who's always poo-poo'd the thought of owning a LCD saw mine and had to have one, just from the image quality and sharpness of detail. She's as hooked on hers as I am on mine. I won't give Dell a single red cent. I live in Round Rock, Texas and absolutely HATE that company with a passion since thier our only competition in town.

Go Samsung for that LCD. You won't regret it.

einstein_314
04-16-05, 08:59 PM
Thanks man. I personally have a Samsung 172x and love it. I will never own a Dell nor recommend them to anybody. Lets just say I've had a few terrible tech support experiences with them. I think I'm going to go with the 710N. Seems that everybody loves it. Thanks everybody!!