PDA

View Full Version : My Logitech 518 Review

jAkUp
04-15-05, 01:13 AM
I recieved my Logitech MX518 today after discovering it at Best Buy. (Thanks alot JuiceZ for the heads up!) I think this is an awesome mouse, so here is my take on it.

Appearance
No doubt this is a unique looking mouse. It seems to require a specific taste to appreciate, that being said, I really think its a great looking mouse. Others may think differently. it has the appearance of having dents, or being shot at. The dents appear to be 3D, so even when looking from different angles, the dents really seem like they are there.
http://img120.echo.cx/img120/5374/top8vx.jpg

Features
I am coming from a Logitech MX510, and although the mice are very similar, there are a few key differences. First off, as many of you know, is the ability to adjust the DPI (sensitivity) on the fly. You can move from 400 to 800, or even a 1600 DPI. The sweet spot seems to be the 800 DPI setting. 1600 seems to be a little TOO quick for even fast paced games, but I can definetely see where the 400 DPI setting can come in handy. A game like Counter-Strike where there are various weapons, some that require accuracy, others are more "Spray and Pray" switching down to the 400 DPI setting for a Sniper Rifle is a big bonus.
http://img120.echo.cx/img120/307/510vs5189oc.jpg

Feel
The weight seems to be identical to the MX510. It may be a tiny bit lighter, but then again maybe not. The click wheel is a little more stiff when scrolling up and down, a worthy adjustment. Other than that the only noticable difference is the precision. Without a doubt, even comparing 800 DPI's to 800 DPI's this is the most precise mouse I have ever used. Even besting out an MX1000 IMO. I applied "Pad Surfers" to the bottom of my mouse, and it is super smooth on my Icemat. A match made in heaven. (I was using Pad Surfers on my MX510 also) Although the upgrade from an MX510 is small, it definetely is there, and that is worth it to me.
http://img120.echo.cx/img120/9518/bottom9id.jpg

Software
The software that I downloaded of off Logitech's site seems like the standard mouse settings control panel, but on a second take, it is actually much deeper. The software allows for adjustments, and profiles for specific games. Such as automatically loading a game with the 400 DPI setting. A very good idea for people that play many different games.
http://img120.echo.cx/img120/3262/software26mf.jpg

Conclusion
This mouse is fantastic, even besting out my MX510. Is it worth the upgrade from a 510? Depends... if the adjustable DPI setting is something you might use, I say definetely worth the upgrade. If not, well, I would wait for the next best from Logitech. It is better than the 510, but I wouldn't say $50 worth.
-jAkUp

Pro's
-Great look
-Very precise
-Adjustible DPI
-Easy to use software

Con's
-Not a huge upgrade from the 510
-Lower DPI button a little hard to get to
-1600 DPI a little high for even twitch players
http://img120.echo.cx/img120/9875/desk3wx.jpg

Clay
04-15-05, 01:18 AM
Nicely done! Thanks for the review. :thumbsup:

|JuiceZ|
04-15-05, 01:18 AM
Good review, glad you like the mouse. Been too busy to play games at all tonight. Hopefully sometime this weekend I can get back to it.

Greg
04-15-05, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the review jAkUp... now if only they'd make a wireless version to replace the MX700.

Riptide
04-15-05, 10:06 AM
Cool. I'll be sticking w/my 510 I think. :)

jAkUp
04-15-05, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the review jAkUp... now if only they'd make a wireless version to replace the MX700.

Yea that would be a good idea, a wireless version with the adjustible sensitivity would sell I think

Lfctony
04-15-05, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the review mate. I have it on preorder from a uk store, I'll have it soon hopefully. :)

saturnotaku
04-15-05, 10:38 AM
Got a question about the software, jAks - do the thumb buttons work properly as backward and forward on this mouse? I bought an MX1000 and I couldn't get them to work properly in back and forward in programs like IE and Firefox.

|JuiceZ|
04-15-05, 11:09 AM
Got a question about the software, jAks - do the thumb buttons work properly as backward and forward on this mouse? I bought an MX1000 and I couldn't get them to work properly in back and forward in programs like IE and Firefox.

Go download the latest version of Setpoint 2.3 (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downloads/software/US/EN,CRID=1792,contentid=10231) then, set your back & forward buttons to "generic". This will revert control back to the windows defaults which will allow them to work properly in IE & Firefox.

jAkUp
04-15-05, 01:57 PM

Out of the box with the software off of Logitech's site, the forward and backward buttons did work properly in Firefox.... Have not tried any games though

|JuiceZ|
04-15-05, 02:11 PM
Out of the box with the software off of Logitech's site, the forward and backward buttons did work properly in Firefox.... Have not tried any games though

jAkUp see my previous post. Make sure they're assigned to "generic" in the logitech cpl.

jAkUp
04-15-05, 02:18 PM
jAkUp see my previous post. Make sure they're assigned to "generic" in the logitech cpl.

I said they did work :) I havent had any problems with the forward and back buttons... my dads MX1000 worked great out of the box also

|JuiceZ|
04-15-05, 02:31 PM
I said they did work :) I havent had any problems with the forward and back buttons... my dads MX1000 worked great out of the box also

lol sry, I can't read...:p

Rakeesh
04-15-05, 02:47 PM
I would like to see a wired version of the mx1000. I really don't like wireless mice that much, and from what I have heard, the mx1000 has better tracking than the mx518 does.

BTW, those pad surfers...are those just teflon tape?

jAkUp
04-15-05, 03:04 PM
I really don't know what they are made out of... they came with the icemat and were recommended. I have also used "Mouse Skates" before and they are generally the same thing.

Well the MX1000 is 1000 DPI's, a good comprimise between too much and too little sensitivity. THe mx1000 also has side to side scrolling... the 518 does not

Rakeesh
04-15-05, 03:17 PM
Well, DPI isn't the biggest concern for me (actually its not much of a concern at all.) The biggest problem I ever have with any optical mouse is that it tends to lose its tracking. Namely in some cheaper microsoft mice, this can be seen as the mouse flying in weird directions if you move it too quickly. On my current logitech mx500, every now and then when you move the mouse, it'll move in an awkward direction (e.g. directly in the x or y direction even though you might really be moving it diagonally) and I have found that this can occur on even surfaces with high color entropy which should allow the sensor to track better than anything (such as leather.) It is said that the laser mice track 20 times better than standard LED optical, so that is why I would rather have something based on the same technology.

I really don't know what they are made out of... they came with the icemat and were recommended. I have also used "Mouse Skates" before and they are generally the same thing.

I just did a google search and some website that did a review says they are just made out of teflon. I just noticed that a few storefronts sell these for $6.99 for a 4" strip...wow. IIRC you can buy a 40 foot roll of teflon tape at a hardware store for about 3 dollars. Not sure if its the adhesive kind but I am sure you can easily improvise.

I am about to head downtown later today, if I have the time I will see what I can come up with as it sounds like it would be a nice thing to try.

saturnotaku
04-15-05, 07:33 PM
This is an interesting mouse to say the least. I'm not sure if I really like the "smashed against the wall repeatedly" paint job, but it's growing on me. The Setpoint software thing you mentioned, Juice, worked like a treat so I'm really happy about that. Playing around with the sensitivity is easy enough, I know it's going to take a while to find a setting that is ideal.

I love how you can use this mouse on the PS2 port. The fact that I can maintain a 200 polling rate (compared to 127 on USB) is really beneficial in getting ultra-fine tuning. Kudos to Logitech on that bit of engineering.

It probably isn't really that much of an upgrade from an MX510, but the extra control afforded by the software and the new look may be enough to persuade you to upgrade. I would advise, though, buying it from a place where you know you can return it without a restocking fee or other hassles in case you find it's not what you hoped. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this little birthday present to myself, and thanks to jAks and Juice for saying that the mouse is available at Best Buy right now (for the retail price of $49.99).

Rakeesh
04-15-05, 08:05 PM
I love how you can use this mouse on the PS2 port. The fact that I can maintain a 200 polling rate (compared to 127 on USB) is really beneficial in getting ultra-fine tuning. Kudos to Logitech on that bit of engineering.

You can bump the USB polling rate up to 1000Hz.

I've documented it here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47132

saturnotaku
04-15-05, 08:06 PM
I tried that. Didn't work - caused my USB to stop functioning all together. :(

Rakeesh
04-15-05, 08:26 PM
You aren't trying it with a wireless mouse are you? Logitech wireless mice have a fixed polling rate at 125Hz.

saturnotaku
04-15-05, 09:06 PM
I tried it with my MS Intellimouse. I also did it with my MX510, and it did work there, but I noticed no difference between it and my PS2 port. I'm pretty happy with it where it is right now. I don't want to risk any damage to the mouse or any of my other USB hardware.

jAkUp
04-16-05, 06:05 PM
Another note that I did not include in the review...

The feet on the MX518 are different, they seem to be more "slippery" than the MX510. I tried it with and without the "PadSurfers" and the padsurfers definetely felt alot smoother.