PDA

View Full Version : Adding sound card for faster performance only a good investment?

NWCook
04-16-05, 08:15 AM
I'm currently using on-board sound (ASUS K8V) and am happy with the sound quality. I was wondering if adding a sound card with the sole purpose of improving game performance speed (so the CPU wouldn't have to do as much work) was a good idea. Any suggestions for what card I should get?

SH64
04-16-05, 08:59 AM
I didnt notice any performance difference when going from onboard to sound card (Audigy 2 ZS).
but better & enhanced sound effects ? Yes.

saturnotaku
04-16-05, 09:14 AM
With older games and slower CPUs, moving to a separate sound card would offer better performance. This is not the case any more.

1337_Like_ThaT
04-17-05, 10:53 PM
I honestly would see no siginificant performance increase at all. Even if it were that old of a machine. You should upgrade your audio because of wanting to have enhanced sound effects and a stronger output, not for performance reasons...

Riptide
04-17-05, 11:01 PM
I removed my Audigy 2 Plat. about two weeks ago. No appreciable decrease in speed was noted. CS:S and UTK4.

saturnotaku
04-17-05, 11:05 PM
CS:S and UTK4.

Both those games use CPU/host-based audio anyway. Personally, I did notice some very small performance gains in OpenGL and Quake 3 engine-based games. But this was only realized in performance benchmarking. In gameplay, it made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

jAkUp
04-18-05, 12:30 AM
You will actually gain a few fps by using an audigy2. By few I mean like 3 or 4, depending on the game. The biggest enhancement is using EAX3,4, etc. I can't wait till the EAX doom3 patch is released. I can finally get surround sound using my 4.1 setup.

Gator
04-18-05, 11:43 AM
Athlon64 is fast enough that i can handle onboard sound just fine. You will notice very little difference between onboard and an addon PCI sound card. If your happy with what you got, stick with it or you'll only waste your money. If you want EAX3&4 then thats a different story, only then should you get an Audigy2.

zoomy942
04-18-05, 03:12 PM
but remember.. not all games use eax. of the games i play, only a handful use eax. and the newest games... brothers in arms, doom 3, HL2.. all use spu based audio, so it wont matter is you have an addin sound card or not.