PDA

View Full Version : The upgrade bug has bit me yet again!

lostlilchild66
04-16-05, 08:53 PM
I currently have a 3.4C, and now I want a 3.4E. My goal is 4.2+ghz.. and this northwood isn't cutting it. Would it be worth it? I'm dissapointed by the Prescotts longer pipeline and slower cache... but the hopes of uber high clock speeds has got me wet! :condom:

I can probably be sneaky and "trade" my C for my E at work, since the diffrence in price is a mere $1 :p

What to do what to do?!?!? :(

jAkUp
04-16-05, 10:25 PM
Go for it! Make the trade, pump some more voltage into the Prescott and OC it like mad :D

bkswaney
04-16-05, 10:30 PM
I would not waste the time to swap them.
You will see little to no difference.

You r in the same boat as me.
I want to upgrade again to but
Intel is not the way to go this time.
Even a 4Ghz P4 get's raped by a OCed 3000+ 64.

Go to the AMD64. That's what I'm doing.

You can grab a 3000+ or 3200+ and
most 9nm core chips will do 2.5+.
I've seen post where some on water
claim to be getting 2.8 to 3.2.

T

lostlilchild66
04-17-05, 12:41 AM
I would not waste the time to swap them.
You will see little to no difference.

You r in the same boat as me.
I want to upgrade again to but
Intel is not the way to go this time.
Even a 4Ghz P4 get's raped by a OCed 3000+ 64.

Go to the AMD64. That's what I'm doing.

You can grab a 3000+ or 3200+ and
most 9nm core chips will do 2.5+.
I've seen post where some on water
claim to be getting 2.8 to 3.2.

T

I just dumped my 3500+ @ 2.6Ghz about a week ago because it couldn't multi-task :P

sticking to Intel till the AMD dual cores drop in price.

Lfctony
04-17-05, 12:54 AM
I say you should stick to your Northwood Core. You are already enjoying a decent overclock, the Prescott heats up substantially more and won't really give you a decent speed increase despite the given overclock you have in mind.

bkswaney
04-17-05, 02:07 AM
I just dumped my 3500+ @ 2.6Ghz about a week ago because it couldn't multi-task :P

sticking to Intel till the AMD dual cores drop in price.

Really? I was wondering about that.
I do a sh!t load of stuff at one time now
and my PC is smooth as glass.

Could you really tell that much of
a difference in MT? :eek:

I could not handle my PC being
any slower than it is now doing multi things.

Maybe I better rethink switching to AMD.

lostlilchild66
04-17-05, 03:12 AM
Really? I was wondering about that.
I do a sh!t load of stuff at one time now
and my PC is smooth as glass.

Could you really tell that much of
a difference in MT? :eek:

I could not handle my PC being
any slower than it is now doing multi things.

Maybe I better rethink switching to AMD.

Yeah, see, all I do is play SWG on my PC :p. For the last 2 years, I've been hooked on that game. Anyways, at any given point, I can have 2 clients of the game running, sometimes even 3. On my P4, game play was great throughout all clients. However, on my AMD, I would get more lag, and it would take longer to ALT + TAB between clients. I can go from one client to another in probably 1.5 seconds on my P4. On my AMD, it would take maybe 4 seconds to switch between clients. And in teh middle of switching, my sound would pause (as if the machine locked up completely). That's just one example. Not a huge annoyance, but it definately bugged me.

The kicker was when I was running 2 clients, started running fraps, and immediately starting running TMPGE to compress the video... basically, the machine choked. The CPU was ALWAYS at 100% usage, and each client fell to about 5 FPS a piece. I NEVER had that issue with my pentium 4 :). Fraps, SWG, and compress a 4gb video into a 30mb video at the same time with TMPGE, and the games never lagged, everything was smooth :).

I was dissapointed in the upgrade, but I'm glad to be back to Intel :)

bkswaney
04-17-05, 04:11 AM
Yeah, see, all I do is play SWG on my PC :p. For the last 2 years, I've been hooked on that game. Anyways, at any given point, I can have 2 clients of the game running, sometimes even 3. On my P4, game play was great throughout all clients. However, on my AMD, I would get more lag, and it would take longer to ALT + TAB between clients. I can go from one client to another in probably 1.5 seconds on my P4. On my AMD, it would take maybe 4 seconds to switch between clients. And in teh middle of switching, my sound would pause (as if the machine locked up completely). That's just one example. Not a huge annoyance, but it definately bugged me.

The kicker was when I was running 2 clients, started running fraps, and immediately starting running TMPGE to compress the video... basically, the machine choked. The CPU was ALWAYS at 100% usage, and each client fell to about 5 FPS a piece. I NEVER had that issue with my pentium 4 :). Fraps, SWG, and compress a 4gb video into a 30mb video at the same time with TMPGE, and the games never lagged, everything was smooth :).

I was dissapointed in the upgrade, but I'm glad to be back to Intel :)

Thanks for the info.
Sounds like what I run into
when I ran the AthlonXP.

AMD just sucks at multitasking
it sounds like.
I'm waiting on the dual core
stuff before I upgrade again.

jAkUp
04-17-05, 11:10 AM
Dual cores should be arriving in June... so the wait shouldn't be too long ;)

bkswaney
04-17-05, 10:12 PM
Dual cores should be arriving in June... so the wait shouldn't be too long ;)

:D :D :D :D :D

Sovereignxp
04-18-05, 01:18 AM
Yeah I was thinking about AMD a lil bit but I can't part with HT. I do more then just game (at home office stuff, video edit ect.) that is why I wanted an all purpose pc. Mabey when the dual cores come out i'll look into it.

1337_Like_ThaT
04-18-05, 01:33 AM
Why bother going to the 3.4e? You think you honestly could hit and run 4.2ghz stable on air? :thumbdwn: Maybe 4.0ghz at most stable but you're still not going to see that much of an impressive Overclock until you up to 3.6 GHz and higher speeds, using the LGA775 socket and a faster platform base, then the Prescott core will likely start coming into its own. Overall you are going to see equivalent gaming performance to 3.4 GHz Northwood but just at hotter temps!

lostlilchild66
04-18-05, 02:18 AM
Why bother going to the 3.4e? You think you honestly could hit and run 4.2ghz stable on air? :thumbdwn: Maybe 4.0ghz at most stable but you're still not going to see that much of an impressive Overclock until you up to 3.6 GHz and higher speeds, using the LGA775 socket and a faster platform base, then the Prescott core will likely start coming into its own. Overall you are going to see equivalent gaming performance to 3.4 GHz Northwood but just at hotter temps!

I'm running my 3.4 woody @ 3.8 24/7 right now... and I have cooling to spare. If I can get 4.0Ghz out of the scottie, then that alone is worth the $1 increase in price after I return this Northwood :P (remember, 7 days, hehe).

I'm going to take my PC to work tomorrow, and I'm going to try and OC the 3.4E, just to see if it's gonna be worth purchasing or not :)