PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking my 3500+, and have a couple of questions.

Roliath
04-17-05, 01:19 AM
Okay my goal is to hit 2.6 on air, which I know is possible.
But before I go on any further I have some questions.
Currently I have my rig running at 230*11
Memory Voltage is at 2.70v
Timings are 2.5-3-3-7 T1 (1:1)
And have Vcore at 1.55v
With this current setup it puts me at 2530mhz clock speed.

I'm almost sure I can go higher, and I really want to achieve 2.6
Would it be safe to go higher then 2.7v on the ram? and what do you think is the highest voltage I can go on the CPU before it's too much?
And do any of ya'll have some tips so I can hit my goal of 2.6?
Thanks in advance!

bkswaney
04-17-05, 01:57 AM
Okay my goal is to hit 2.6 on air, which I know is possible.
But before I go on any further I have some questions.
Currently I have my rig running at 230*11
Memory Voltage is at 2.70v
Timings are 2.5-3-3-7 T1 (1:1)
And have Vcore at 1.55v
With this current setup it puts me at 2530mhz clock speed.

I'm almost sure I can go higher, and I really want to achieve 2.6
Would it be safe to go higher then 2.7v on the ram? and what do you think is the highest voltage I can go on the CPU before it's too much?
And do any of ya'll have some tips so I can hit my goal of 2.6?
Thanks in advance!

2.6 should be easy with a 3500.
It seems most 9nm 64's even 3000+'s
will do 2.5+.

As for as your ram goes I know mine will do 3.1.
Not sure about all though.

Riptide
04-17-05, 09:29 AM
My 3000+ wouldn't go over 2.25 and my 3200+ also was a dud. Both winchesters. I envy some of you with the luck that you have. :)

Roliath
04-17-05, 03:20 PM
Heck you have an FX-53, and you envy my luck?
I'm going to try for 2.6 today, shouldn't be that hard.

jAkUp
04-17-05, 03:45 PM
2.8v on the memory is nothing :) I was cranking 3.2v into mine with my old Abit board :) Currently I am running 2.8v. I actually would recommend running at that voltage.

superklye
04-17-05, 03:59 PM
2.8v on the memory is nothing :) I was cranking 3.2v into mine with my old Abit board :) Currently I am running 2.8v. I actually would recommend running at that voltage.
Why's that? Just more stable? I haven't had any problems with 2.6v...

Roliath
04-17-05, 04:49 PM
You and I are using the same ram right? Except yours is DDR500 and mine is DDR400, do you think I'd be able to tighten my timings running at a higher voltage? I'm at 2.7 right now, Prime95 Stable, and Memtest86 showed no problems, I'll bump it up to 2.8 and see if I can do Cas2 at 230Mhz.
What revision is your Ram? Mine is 5.1.

jAkUp
04-17-05, 05:09 PM
Mine is rev 5. something also... I really doubt you will be able to get lower than CL2.5 at 460mhz... thats kinda pushing it. I don't think mine will be able to even do that. Give it a shot though ;)

Why's that? Just more stable? I haven't had any problems with 2.6v...

If you cranked 2.8v into it I bet you that you could get CL2.0 :)

Riptide
04-17-05, 05:24 PM
Heck you have an FX-53, and you envy my luck?
I'm going to try for 2.6 today, shouldn't be that hard.Why shouldn't I? My FX doesn't o/c worth a crap and you're about to go 200MHz faster with a CPU that costs much less.

Roliath
04-17-05, 09:05 PM
Why shouldn't I? My FX doesn't o/c worth a crap and you're about to go 200MHz faster with a CPU that costs much less.
Although that may be true, your's has an unlocked Multi, and 1MB L2 Cache.
But kinda off topic, does the difference really make it that much better?

superklye
04-17-05, 09:16 PM
Mine is rev 5. something also... I really doubt you will be able to get lower than CL2.5 at 460mhz... thats kinda pushing it. I don't think mine will be able to even do that. Give it a shot though ;)

If you cranked 2.8v into it I bet you that you could get CL2.0 :)
I thought it was determined that the CAS latencies really had no impact on anything other than synthetic benchmarks.

Viral
04-17-05, 09:21 PM
I thought it was determined that the CAS latencies really had no impact on anything other than synthetic benchmarks.

No, they matter, but whether you think the extra price is worth it for a 1-5% better performance is up to you. If you can overvolt (while staying under 3.0v) your CAS 2.5 memory and get it to run CAS 2 then that would be very worth it.

I agree with Jakup here, itt is worth running just about any RAM at 2.8v, it's not enough to harm it, but you will have a lot more headroom for any tweaking.

superklye
04-17-05, 09:22 PM
hmm...mayhaps I'll give this a whirl then.

Riptide
04-17-05, 09:55 PM
Although that may be true, your's has an unlocked Multi, and 1MB L2 Cache.
The multi being unlocked is worthless. My FX needs 1.625v just to maintain stability @ 2.5. I would've exchanged except for the restocking fee on a $800 chip hurts. The extra cache doesn't do much either, especially in games.
But kinda off topic, does the difference really make it that much better?I'm just jealous of people who have had better luck with what they got than I did. It must be pretty nice to buy a $200 CPU and match or exceed someone else who paid bank for their FX. ;)

1337_Like_ThaT
04-17-05, 09:58 PM

....Yes but did you also tell them how your memory died? and you were force to manufacture service it to Corsair?? :rolleyes: Don't push your voltages to high unless you are willing to pay the consequences in the long run :)

Roliath
04-17-05, 10:41 PM
Well I've been trying to reach 2.6 today, and can't seem to past Prime95.
I even bumped up the voltage on the cpu and ram, but it still wouldn't pass Prime95.
Windows is stable and I can run Synthetic Benchies/Games without crashing, but Prime95 still shows errors in the second test.
My temps are okay, 37c idle and 45-48c load.
Is it possible that I've hit a wall with Air Cooling? I don't have the guts to go over 1.6v on the CPU with Air cooling. But So Far I'm happy with my clock speed at 2.5

The multi being unlocked is worthless. My FX needs 1.625v just to maintain stability @ 2.5. I would've exchanged except for the restocking fee on a $800 chip hurts. The extra cache doesn't do much either, especially in games.
I'm just jealous of people who have had better luck with what they got than I did. It must be pretty nice to buy a $200 CPU and match or exceed someone else who paid bank for their FX. ;)
I do believe I got a great deal for the CPU and Mobo, only paid 300 for the whole package.

bkswaney
04-17-05, 11:01 PM
My 3000+ wouldn't go over 2.25 and my 3200+ also was a dud. Both winchesters. I envy some of you with the luck that you have. :)

That sounds like my luck 99% of the time.
I never get a great OCer.
But u see all these people who get
crazy OC's all the time. :confused: