PDA

View Full Version : Ok, $1000 extra bucks

Pages : [1] 2

oldsk00l
04-18-05, 10:54 AM
What?

Where?

Is it worth it?

I just got an extra $1000 bucks that I was totally not expecting AT ALL, and I fully intend to BLOW IT...especially because my finances are getting ahead on their own.

Riptide
04-18-05, 11:05 AM
You should buy me a G5. :)

ynnek
04-18-05, 11:21 AM
go on a nice vacation with a friend.. ;)

jcossin
04-18-05, 12:11 PM
I know you said "Blow It", but I'd seriously recommend saving it for a time when your finances aren't so rosey. You'll be glad you did!

Ninjaman09
04-18-05, 12:37 PM
I know you said "Blow It", but I'd seriously recommend saving it for a time when your finances aren't so rosey. You'll be glad you did!
Yes, yes, yes, listen to jcossin. This is the wise thing to do. You could use it to start up an ING Direct Orange savings account and earn 3% APR.

Mr. Hunt
04-18-05, 12:46 PM
Yes, yes, yes, listen to jcossin. This is the wise thing to do. You could use it to start up an ING Direct Orange savings account and earn 3% APR.

That is just foolish to save money... you crazy money saving people... just go out and buy a bunch of stuff... I remember when my parents sold their land years ago they gave me a thousand dollars... bought a gun and a crapload of movies and a few games... best money ever spent ;).

oldsk00l
04-18-05, 01:05 PM
Um, save money? I already am, I have about 5 months worth of cash to live off of and I keep adding to it each month.

It's time to blow some money man, some "extra" money. Save money, cripes, why save more? I feel like sometimes I'm always saving "just in case" and not living. Save money, bah, ok - not enjoy life when you get a break - just keep saving more and more money.

dumbest thing I've heard, especially for someone who's been saving as-is.

oldsk00l
04-18-05, 01:08 PM
That is just foolish to save money... you crazy money saving people... just go out and buy a bunch of stuff... I remember when my parents sold their land years ago they gave me a thousand dollars... bought a gun and a crapload of movies and a few games... best money ever spent ;).
w0rd man, the money I spent on my mx700 - a year of the best mouse I've ever used.

My dreamcast, xbox

Things I use and love to use REGULARLY, that I use/have used/will use for a LONG TIME. Money extremely well spent imho.

Ninjaman09
04-18-05, 01:22 PM
Um, save money? I already am, I have about 5 months worth of cash to live off of and I keep adding to it each month.

It's time to blow some money man, some "extra" money. Save money, cripes, why save more? I feel like sometimes I'm always saving "just in case" and not living. Save money, bah, ok - not enjoy life when you get a break - just keep saving more and more money.

dumbest thing I've heard, especially for someone who's been saving as-is.
What you do with your money is your own business and frankly I don't give two ****s what you do with it. But you came on here asking for advice, and I gave it to you. I can't even begin to understand why you'd respond like such a prick to sound financial advice but since you'll just shrug it off anyway, go ahead and blow it all on some crap you don't need. Just don't complain once you need to repair your car, pay unexpected medical bills, or whatever other curveballs life throws your way.
That is just foolish to save money...
You ARE joking...right?

oldsk00l
04-18-05, 01:27 PM
What you do with your money is your own business and frankly I don't give two ****s what you do with it. But you came on here asking for advice, and I gave it to you. I can't even begin to understand why you'd respond like such a prick to sound financial advice but since you'll just shrug it off anyway, go ahead and blow it all on some crap you don't need. Just don't complain once you need to repair your car, pay unexpected medical bills, or whatever other curveballs life throws your way.

Not to sound like a prick, but if I was looking for sound financial advice I'd go to my parents for it. I find it a bit odd that people who buy a videocard would say "save teh money" when someone runs into extra cash.

rofl

I wasn't trying to be a prick, just trying to emphasize that...saving money sucks!

When my car breaks, I fix it myself, when an ER visit comes up - even if I have the liquid assets to pay it off I don't. I just go on a monthly payment plan.

That you get so agitated when I completely toss "sound financial advice" out the window is kind of curious too. "I intend to blow it" and then "save it dude" just kinda comes off as OT don't ya think?

Anyhow, a fine day to you sir :D
Please keep thorazine close at hand, someone might say they are buying a Ferrari!!!

Ninjaman09
04-18-05, 01:32 PM
I saved for my computer for months. There's a difference between planning a purchase ahead of time and impulsively blowing your cash.

I am a financial planner. That's my career. I help people plan their retirements, college savings funds, accumulation for large purchases, home sales and buys, and I also assist my firm's money manager with market research.

In your original post you clearly said "Is it worth it?" suggesting that you were open to alternatives to spending it all at once.

I was not at all agitated until your inexplicably hostile response to my post came up.

sytaylor
04-18-05, 01:46 PM

Thats terrible, there is a british bank offering more than that on current accounts. 1 year web saver accounts (web managed savings account) they're offering about 7% on...

Ninjaman09
04-18-05, 01:48 PM
Thats terrible, there is a british bank offering more than that on current accounts. 1 year web saver accounts (web managed savings account) they're offering about 7% on...
Overseas accounts are taxed into oblivion rendering high interest rates useless.

3% on savings in the U.S. is spectacular compared to the .5%-.75% APRs most other banks offer.

Even still I find it very hard to believe that there is a bank offering 7% interest with no risk. Linky?

Riptide
04-18-05, 02:13 PM
Ninja speaks truth IMO.

Buying a new high end card right now doesn't make a lot of sense. We're close enough to the next generation that 3-4 months patience would pay off. But then again, you did blow tons 'o $$ on an 30" ($2999) Apple Cinema display and dual G5's - so no offense intended but a thousand doesn't seem like it's going to be a real big deal to you in the first place. Spend it on whatever makes you happy.

Riptide
04-18-05, 02:15 PM
Just don't complain once you need to repair your car, pay unexpected medical bills, or whatever other curveballs life throws your wayI doubt he's going to have to worry about that. He spent nearly six grand on his PowerMAC alone. ;)

aaahhh52
04-18-05, 02:16 PM
Buy me WoW and 6 month subscription :D

Ninjaman09
04-18-05, 02:22 PM
I doubt he's going to have to worry about that. He spent nearly six grand on his PowerMAC alone. ;)
Well some people spend every cent they have or go into debt to get things they want and some people can afford the things they buy. In my opinion, "afford" means you can fit your purchase into your budget without disrupting any of your usual financial activity. Seeing as how I do not know what oldsk00l makes or what his cost of living is, the best advice I can give is "hang on to it", without presuming anything at least. Sure, if a $6,000 computer is affordable, $1,000 bucks would be pretty trivial.

And yes, the "spend spend spend" attitude most people have does annoy me a little, seeing as how it's one of the largest contributing factors to our current unstable economy. Consumer installment credit is at an all time high while the savings rate is nearly zero, meaning most people are so mired in debt that their children and retirements are severely threatened. The bright side to this is that as a retirement planner I'll never be short on work. :D

sytaylor
04-18-05, 02:31 PM
Overseas accounts are taxed into oblivion rendering high interest rates useless.

3% on savings in the U.S. is spectacular compared to the .5%-.75% APRs most other banks offer.

Even still I find it very hard to believe that there is a bank offering 7% interest with no risk. Linky?

http://www.halifax.co.uk/savings/home.shtml

The halifax regular saver on the bottom right hand side.

oldsk00l
04-18-05, 02:40 PM
Actually I detest credit. All of my items I purchase with liquid assets ONLY. My PowerMac was partially funded from my business accounts though, and it coincided with my planned two year major upgrade.

However, I usually try to keep around 3 months extra cash on hand, right now I happen to have 5 and I want to spend that down a little.

There are things I don't mind going into debt over, like healthcare, prostitution, and extortion. However I try to participate in those on a minimal basis as a consumer (never, preferrably, as to me they are all about the same). I consider the healthcare and the extortion about the same in my profession.

ANYHOW,

I think I'm closer to figuring out what to do with this extra buckaroos. I'm going to get a gigantic memory stick for the PSP. Jade Empire, UC2, a digital camcorder and some xbox live equipment with a wireless game adapter so I can more easily connect the xbox to the wlan at the house.

Yes, working my ass of finally paid off. Time to SPPPLLUURRRRGEEE!!! (not all over the babe thread either, :D)

GamerGuyX
04-18-05, 02:46 PM
What?

Where?

Is it worth it?

I just got an extra $1000 bucks that I was totally not expecting AT ALL, and I fully intend to BLOW IT...especially because my finances are getting ahead on their own.

If it was me man, and I knew that the $1000 was all spending money then I would just go out to a big mall and buy whatever piqued my interest. For example, if I came across a DVD store I would buy a bunch of DVD's that I've been wanting to get but haven't gotten. Then I would move onto the next place and buy whatever I seen that looked interesting. Then I would continue this process until my money was depleted. :smoking:

1337_Like_ThaT
04-18-05, 02:49 PM
I say you give the top 1000 posters in nvnews.net one dollar each so that everyone, including yourself is happy :)

PSYCHODAD
04-18-05, 02:52 PM
Actually I detest credit. All of my items I purchase with liquid assets ONLY. My PowerMac was partially funded from my business accounts though, and it coincided with my planned two year major upgrade.

However, I usually try to keep around 3 months extra cash on hand, right now I happen to have 5 and I want to spend that down a little.

There are things I don't mind going into debt over, like healthcare, prostitution, and extortion. However I try to participate in those on a minimal basis as a consumer (never, preferrably, as to me they are all about the same). I consider the healthcare and the extortion about the same in my profession.

ANYHOW,

I think I'm closer to figuring out what to do with this extra buckaroos. I'm going to get a gigantic memory stick for the PSP. Jade Empire, UC2, a digital camcorder and some xbox live equipment with a wireless game adapter so I can more easily connect the xbox to the wlan at the house.

Yes, working my ass of finally paid off. Time to SPPPLLUURRRRGEEE!!! (not all over the babe thread either, :D)

Having a 3 months supply of cash on hand is a good policy. I basically do the same and if the extra cash starts getting low I quit buying and start saving for awhile.

Riptide
04-18-05, 03:00 PM
And yes, the "spend spend spend" attitude most people have does annoy me a little, seeing as how it's one of the largest contributing factors to our current unstable economy.Just my 2 cents...

IMO there's nothing wrong with having tens of thousands even hundreds of thousands in savings or invested. I wouldn't personally adopt the philosophy that once you get ahead up to a point that you automatically start spending to avoid increasing those savings. Seems like a bad idea. But one that does feed our cravings for gadgets and electronics. ;)

I owe only $150 on credit right now and I don't intend to soak myself with $1500-2000 worth of debt on an upgrade. Next time I pay cash.

UDawg
04-18-05, 03:02 PM
go on a nice vacation with a friend.. ;)
I think his wife might have some thoughts about that. LOL

Ninjaman09
04-18-05, 03:12 PM
http://www.halifax.co.uk/savings/home.shtml

The halifax regular saver on the bottom right hand side.
Ah, you bastids. I wish we could get fixed rates like that around here.

Although it's notable that the account requires a regular deposit to earn that rate, the 3% ING rate is a free account with no minimum and no required deposits. Also no withdrawals are allowed.
Don't get me wrong, I was only speaking generally WRT credit. I'm sure your finances are in order, sounds like you've got everything covered pretty well.

If I had $1,000 of disposable income I'd buy $1,000 worth of jelly beans and devour them in an orgy of sugar and gum disease. MmmmMmmm, jelly beans...