PDA

View Full Version : Gamestop to buy Electronic's Boutique!

Pages : [1] 2

|MaguS|
04-18-05, 11:34 AM
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050418/gamestop_electronics_boutique.html?.v=6

Video-game retailer GameStop Corp. has agreed to buy rival Electronics Boutique Holdings Corp. for about $1.4 billion in cash and stock, creating a chain of about 3,800 stores worldwide.

UDawg
04-18-05, 12:25 PM
I don't like this. Nope, don't like it one bit.

Mr. Hunt
04-18-05, 12:29 PM
Gamestop = new EA? :\

This really sucks... I loved EB so much more than gamestop... and now... I am screwed and am FORCED to go to bestbuy for new things :\.

|JuiceZ|
04-18-05, 12:37 PM
Oh Nooes make it stop!!! :eek:

ST:DS9
04-18-05, 01:06 PM
Hmm, I alway prefered Gamestop over EB Games because thier games seem to be cheaper. For example

saturnotaku
04-18-05, 01:10 PM
TEH NOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEESSSS!!!!

There will never be another decent game store in Chicago if this happens. Every last Gamestop in this area sucks. The employees are incompetent and often rude. At EB the people are at least capable of having a decent conversation about games.

That being said, there are markets in the country where this might have some benefit. Take South Bend, Ind. for instance. The EB/Gamestop situation is the complete opposite of what it is in Chicago. But I don't live in South Bend, so this is terrible, terrible news. :(

Ninjaman09
04-18-05, 01:16 PM
Same for me, all the Gamestops around here are completely worthless. I'm just going to start shopping online exclusively now, this is getting ridiculous.

saturnotaku
04-18-05, 01:17 PM
This will at least make my Best Buy Reward Zone card more valuable. I am seriously tempted to write to both EB and Gamestop to voice my opposition to this. Maybe an online petition would be in order.

Ninjaman09
04-18-05, 01:39 PM
It would fall on deaf ears.

You know, I was thinking about how much fun video games used to be years and years ago. Compared to today's games, even the crappiest games on Genesis and SNES were masterpieces. For a while I thought nostalgia was the only reason for this thinking but I've been playing a lot of old games recently and I've realized that although that is a factor, these games are just plain BETTER in every way. I was playing Final Fantasy 3 the other day. The music, story, gamplay, and even horrible translation combined to form a gaming experience FAR superior to anything I've played in recent years, including great games like KoTOR. There's just something missing. It's like game developers stopped caring about their games and started caring more about just getting them released. KoTOR 2 is great evidence of this.

Anyway, I'm hoping that crap chains like Gamestop and bloated development tycoons like EA will contribute to a complete collapse in the video games market by saturating it with garbage. Then, once it's just a niche hobby again, we might actually get something worth playing every once in a while.

So go Gamestop, help bring it down! :D

|MaguS|
04-18-05, 01:41 PM
In my area its the opposite, EBs are crap and Gamestops are decent. The only "good" EB was the one I worked at because my friends/coworkers and I are knowledged in games and we often helped everyone... we were jackass's aswell but eh, gotta do something on those slow days.

EBs in orlando are just full of punks who don't know ****... I loved it when a guy tried to convince me that Final Fantasy was scheduled to release on the Xbox last year.

BTW anyone else think this will lead to a price increase in games? I mean they only have to compete with Best Buy and WalMart. Heck they are bigger then WalMart now when it comes to games...

Vash
04-18-05, 01:44 PM
The only hope that I've got is that the EB's in my area retain their current staff. They've got some great people. I'd prefer that they stay away from the neon green color that Gheystop puts up all over the place, but it doesn't look like that can be helped.

Ninjaman09
04-18-05, 01:53 PM
The only hope that I've got is that the EB's in my area retain their current staff. They've got some great people. I'd prefer that they stay away from the neon green color that Gheystop puts up all over the place, but it doesn't look like that can be helped.
Same here, my local EB has got some great people working there.

Buenamos
04-18-05, 02:28 PM
I work at gamestop, hahahaha.

|MaguS|
04-18-05, 02:28 PM
Wow... On the same note... Adobe Bought Macromedia (http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/adobeandmacromedia.html) ...

aaahhh52
04-18-05, 02:45 PM
Yep same here, got some great people working at EB their always pretty knowledgeable and are easy to start up a good gaming conversation with.

Vagrant Zero
04-18-05, 03:30 PM
Meh, I buy most of my games from ebay anyways.

vX
04-18-05, 03:32 PM
Around here ebgames has alot of rude employees and gamestop is a trashy dump that never bother's to fix shelves, re-stock games, or ask u if u are in need of any help. Both only search for something as far as their arms can stretch, so to me, this is like saying two really sh*tty corporations just became one really big sh*tty corp. I'll still go to circuit city =) But for people whom enjoy variety, and the option of being able to choose different stores, yes, for them, this does stink.

|JuiceZ|
04-18-05, 03:34 PM
I work at gamestop, hahahaha.

"Quick men, grab the torches and the rope!" :D

vX
04-18-05, 03:40 PM
"Quick men, grab the torches and the rope!" :D

lol :D :: goes for the easy kill, head shot and grabs .45 instead :: :angel:

brady
04-18-05, 04:10 PM
hmm i havnt been in a game store for a very long time. i already thought gamestop and eb were the same thing. i didnt know which one owned the other but for some reason i just thought they were already in cahoots. oh well i dont really care. i get all my games online. meaning i buy them and have them sent to me. just wanted to make that clear lest the warez police come after me.

MustangSVT
04-18-05, 05:26 PM
In the 4 years i've lived in alberta, I haven't seen 1 gamestop around here or ever heard anyone talking about going to one. I have 2 EB's that I can go to here. One of them, which is the main one in the city is a good store and usually have the most selection of games and have games on first day they're released.

However, I usually buy all of my games at CompuSmart. Price is about exactly the same as EB, but staff are friendlier, and the whole shop just gives a better vibe. They have about 3 good comps you can try out games on. The main reason I like them more is just because their image is a lot better than other stores like Best Buy or Future Shop. The comps you can try out a game on usually has a 25" LCD, a good mouse like MX510 or MX700, one of the comps even had a dual 6600gt sli rig with watercooling on an A64 for showing off. Another one had dual 17" lcd's with saitek joystick and throtle playing FS2004 or IL-2 usually. IMO, they seem to be much smarter than like Radio Shack which showcases games on an integrated Intel extreme graphics rig.

vX
04-18-05, 05:33 PM
sounds like as nice place...dont think they have these compusmarts in America...ashame...i'd like to check one out. Demoing a game in store on a sli 6600 gt system sounds freaking awesome!

einstein_314
04-18-05, 07:24 PM
In the 4 years i've lived in alberta, I haven't seen 1 gamestop around here or ever heard anyone talking about going to one. I have 2 EB's that I can go to here. One of them, which is the main one in the city is a good store and usually have the most selection of games and have games on first day they're released.

However, I usually buy all of my games at CompuSmart. Price is about exactly the same as EB, but staff are friendlier, and the whole shop just gives a better vibe. They have about 3 good comps you can try out games on. The main reason I like them more is just because their image is a lot better than other stores like Best Buy or Future Shop. The comps you can try out a game on usually has a 25" LCD, a good mouse like MX510 or MX700, one of the comps even had a dual 6600gt sli rig with watercooling on an A64 for showing off. Another one had dual 17" lcd's with saitek joystick and throtle playing FS2004 or IL-2 usually. IMO, they seem to be much smarter than like Radio Shack which showcases games on an integrated Intel extreme graphics rig.

I'm not sure, but I don't think there are any gamestops in Canada. I've never seen any in BC nor Alberta. Can't say about the rest of Canada but I've never seen one. CompuSmart is a pretty decent place to go for computer stuff. Most of the time they actually know what they are talking about as opposed to the Future Shop guys that I know more than. Or the Radio Shack people. EB's is also a pretty decent place to go for games. I usually end up buying from them.

MustangSVT
04-18-05, 08:42 PM
Best thing about EB (or at least around here) is that they're the first to change the prices if there's an official price drop or anything of the like (and usually happens first day/first week). CompuSmart follows after them shortly, but others like FutureShop or the new Best Buy here could take a considerably longer time to do it which sucks.

Arioch
04-18-05, 09:19 PM
The Gamestops here are horrible if you are looking for any help with PC titles. I understand consoles are the main moneymakers but the people at these local stores don't know jack. The EBgames that I go to is way better.