PDA

View Full Version : FPS in Doom 3 stuck at 60????

radialheadfx
04-18-05, 12:14 PM
AMD64 3400
SLI 6800GTs
DFi mobo w/1gig 400DDR
nothing OCed

So I run Doom 3 in 800x600 maxed out. I get 60fps. If I run maxed out at 1600x1200 my highest FPS is 60 again. The fps will drop down to the 30s but no matter what settings I apply, I can not get above 60. WTF?

Vapor Trail
04-18-05, 12:18 PM
The game engine has a max FPS of 60 except for benchmark mode.

radialheadfx
04-18-05, 12:28 PM
LMAO! R U kidding? Ok, I looked everywhere on Activision support and never found anything. Well that was the quickest "bug" fix I ever had. Thanks.

vX
04-18-05, 03:36 PM
Most un-informed gamer award goes too....lol j/k

It's capped @ 60fps man, you might hit 61 or 62 but that's it, there is a way to turn it off, if you're curious, you might want to jump into the doom 3 engine forums and ask around. (first do a search)

Gabrobot
04-18-05, 03:42 PM
The framerate is capped at 60 fps to prevent physics glitches that can occur with framerates higher than 60 fps (like Quake III had). The only reason you'd want more than 60 fps is benchmarking anyway...since the engines tick speed is 60, anymore frames rendered per second would just look identical. In other words, you never actually see more than 60 frames per second, regardless of the framerate cap. This is something you find in most engines, all Doom 3 does different is it caps the framerate to prevent glitches...so it is in fact a bug fix itself.

einstein_314
04-18-05, 05:13 PM
The game engine has a max FPS of 60 except for benchmark mode.

Uhh, what?!? Pretty sure I had frame rates over 60 plenty of times... Try turning of Vertical Sync. Sounds to me like you have V-Sync enabled which limits the frame rate to your monitor refresh rate.

Vagrant Zero
04-18-05, 05:38 PM
Uhh, what?!? Pretty sure I had frame rates over 60 plenty of times... Try turning of Vertical Sync. Sounds to me like you have V-Sync enabled which limits the frame rate to your monitor refresh rate.

No he's right. In single-player D3 is synced to 60 frames regardless of vsync.

PikachuMan
04-18-05, 05:40 PM

You is insane.
http://pc.ign.com/articles/456/456054p1.html?fromint=1

einstein_314
04-18-05, 07:18 PM
You is insane.
http://pc.ign.com/articles/456/456054p1.html?fromint=1

Well, then. My bad. I havn't played the game in a few months and I don't ever recall having it capped at 60. Oh well. We all make mistakes.

EciDemon
04-19-05, 04:55 AM
Its easy enugh to fix if you really want to remove the cap.
Go to the base directory and create autoexec.cfg then add these lines to it and configure it as you see fit

seta com_allowConsole "1" // Enables tilde console
seta com_showFPS "1" // Show frame rate
seta r_mode "5" // 1024x768
seta r_multisample "1" // Antialiasing xx
seta r_image_anistrophy "4" // Anistropic x
seta r_swapinterval "0" // Vsynk on off
seta com_fixedTic "-1" // Remove frame limit
seta r_displayRefresh "100" // Refresh rate
seta g_showPlayerShadow "1" // Self Shadow on off
r_usedepthboundstest 1 // Ultra shadow 2

Ive just added a few more usefull options to my config file.

ricercar
04-19-05, 07:03 PM
A Carmack interview years ago said the reason for the 60 FPS frame rate cap. People could not jump over certain obstacles because their frame rate was too fast, and the increased FPS made timing to jump those obstacles impossible.

jolle
04-19-05, 07:13 PM
A Carmack interview years ago said the reason for the 60 FPS frame rate cap. People could not jump over certain obstacles because their frame rate was too fast, and the increased FPS made timing to jump those obstacles impossible.

Yeah, acctually the engines "tic rate", the frequency of how often it updates everything, is locked at 60hz, instead of being locked @ FPS, thats what caused oddities in the physics of ex Quake3, people playing @ 400fps had different physics calculations cause it was updated so frequently, so they could jump higher or what it was..

Im not really sure why the FPS is locked at 60 tho.
It would be logical to assume that since the engine tic rate is 60hz then the cameras movement updates would also be locked at 60hz and thus you would only get the "effect" of 60fps irregardless of how many frames were rendered, since some would be duplicates due to the camera position hadnt changed yet..
Carmack said it would only render identical frames beyond 60fps so that would fit in with what he said atleast..

But you can unhook the engine from the tic rate like EciDemon mentioned.
Dunno if that works in MP, would be silly if it did..

Marcos
04-20-05, 04:16 PM
this is the greatest thread ever

FraGTastiK
04-21-05, 04:56 AM
you can remove the 60FPS cap but the physices engine will operate at max 60FPS. Makes it look ugly(slow motion death animation,object throwings,etc.)

FraGTastiK
04-21-05, 05:44 AM
I dont think so,its there for a reason,IIRC Carmack said they want that creepy and slow pace for DooM iii so that you wont be able to Rambo all the monsters,they want you to see all the Dynamic lighting and feel the creepiness IMO.Quake 4 is a D3 engine based game and sure we can rambo there thats the pace of the game.