PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal bios activity or grounds for RMA?

Treason
04-18-05, 02:35 PM
Asus A8V Deluxe 2.0 (VIA KT800) with AMD Athlon64 S939 3200+. First time ever with AMD hardware.

This was straight out from the box. Takes 30 seconds to get to windows xp boot-up screen. Otherwise runs and overclocks fine 24/7.

Please right click save as!!! (members.shaw.ca/sparhawk909/Badbios.avi)

|MaguS|
04-18-05, 02:38 PM
Whats the Specs on the rest of your system?

Looks like its lagging alot, could be a ram issue. Do you see any problems with hardware listed in the bios? Check to see if your ram is running 2T, if it is try 1T it usually gives a big performance boost.

Treason
04-18-05, 03:06 PM
My computer runs fine. No problems what-so-ever during normal windows activity. It's just a hassle rummaging through bios pages and the delay during boot-up. Bios version 1009. Enermax 350 W power supply.

Hard drive is a Western Digital IDE 1600JB 160 GB, Emprex 4x DVDRW.

AGP video card or PCI video card, no PCI peripherals or Creative Audigy, LAN or no LAN, firewire or no firewire, etc.

Ram is generic Hynix PC3200 DDR400 2x 512 mb overclocked to 215 MHz 2-2-2-5 1T. This bios activity is the same whether ram is overclocked or not or just 1 512 mb stick. Either stick exhibits the same activity. Same bios activity when CPU is stock speed.

Actually come to think of it, I haven't tested yanking out every USB device. I guess I'll try that when I get home. I'll also disconnect the DVDRW.

I'll take other suggestions.

Riptide
04-18-05, 03:17 PM
Make sure you don't have anything enabled that you don't need. Especially disk controllers. I know that board has two RAID controllers for SATA, a VIA and a Promise. Make sure you disable one or the other if they aren't being used.

The suggestions regarding disconnecting one device after another to gauge any effect on the BIOS are good ones as well.

KerrAvon
04-18-05, 03:20 PM
My computer runs fine. No problems what-so-ever during normal windows activity. It's just a hassle rummaging through bios pages and the delay during boot-up. Bios version 1009. Enermax 350 W power supply.

Hard drive is a Western Digital IDE 1600JB 160 GB, Emprex 4x DVDRW.

AGP video card or PCI video card, no PCI peripherals or Creative Audigy, LAN or no LAN, firewire or no firewire, etc.

Ram is generic Hynix PC3200 DDR400 2x 512 mb overclocked to 215 MHz 2-2-2-5 1T. This bios activity is the same whether ram is overclocked or not or just 1 512 mb stick. Either stick exhibits the same activity. Same bios activity when CPU is stock speed.

Actually come to think of it, I haven't tested yanking out every USB device. I guess I'll try that when I get home. I'll also disconnect the DVDRW.

I'll take other suggestions.

Make sure your drives are jumpered correctly. WD hard drives are very picky about their jumper - if it's set wrong, they'll take forever to be recognized and get to the XP screens.

PSYCHODAD
04-18-05, 03:32 PM
Have you ran any stress tests/benchmarks on your system? I would tend to believe with that kind of activity during windows loading something else would be amiss after bootup.

einstein_314
04-18-05, 05:25 PM
Hmm, that's definately weird. What happens if you reset the bios to the default values? It shouldn't take that long to detect the hdd's and USB stuff. The thing that take the longest on mine is detecting the hdd on the promise controller. It takes like 5 seconds or so. Maybe try disabling the USB controller.

Treason
04-19-05, 12:15 AM
Disconnected DVDRW, all USB devices, loaded up setup default bios, disabled SATA, Promise RAID, USB, LAN, FireWire controllers, disabled serial and parallel ports, etc etc.

Nothing affects this bios activity. Even when there are no hard drives and you pound on that DEL key, the bios text still chugs.

Since the computer and motherboard runs fine in normal operation, I guess my issue is whether to bother to RMA within the 1 year timeframe (NOV 2004 to 2005) warranty or not. As I stated before, it's just a hassle to take apart everything and send in the motherboard just to replace this chip.

http://members.shaw.ca/sk5969/Badbios.png

Riptide
04-19-05, 01:11 PM
That's a bummer man. I dunno if I were you I'd probably just keep the board for now. Motherboards are relatively cheap, odds are you'll replace it in a year or two anyway.

ViN86
04-19-05, 02:31 PM
could be a setting in bios. some settings enable extensive and ultimately unnecessary checks

Riptide
04-19-05, 02:36 PM
could be a setting in bios. some settings enable extensive and ultimately unnecessary checks
Not likely in this case. It is actually slow to display text on the screen, very odd behavior.

And I believe he's reset CMOS already.

H-street
04-19-05, 03:01 PM
just some ideas..

how high/what did you overclock?

if you did overclock and you are going to RMA it, i wouldn't tell them you OCed it.. nothing will invalidate your warranty faster than admitting to have overclocked it..

have you tried to flash the bios?

if you believe the bios is in fact running slow (corrupt) have you tried to flash it to the same bios (downloaded ofcourse, a backup would be corrupt too)

Strahd
04-19-05, 03:14 PM
I would reseat the memory and CPU. If after you reset the bios to defaults and it still does it, I would RMA it. I have the same board and there is no delay in POST at all.