PDA

View Full Version : How do you get rid of Doom 3 pauses when you have 60+ fps?

Pages : [1] 2

monkeydust
04-18-05, 03:38 PM
I'm sure most everybody has seen those pauses when a door opens or a mob jumps at you hurling a fireball. I thought when I built my new system, I wouldn't have to deal with these anymore. I'm getting over 60 fps yet I still have these anoying pauses.

Is there anything that can be done?

0rk.p0rk
04-18-05, 03:44 PM
Ram

Vagrant Zero
04-18-05, 03:46 PM
Who knows. The first time I played D3 I had no pauses. Now playing RoE I get that alot.

ricercar
04-18-05, 03:52 PM
It may be RAM.
512M Barton 3000+ system = pauses
1024M Barton 2500+ system = no pauses

Seoulstriker
04-18-05, 07:58 PM
Don't run on Ultra or High. I think that this is a video ram issue. Do you have AA and AF enabled also? Those might also increase usage of video ram.

Acid Rain
04-18-05, 10:28 PM
It may be RAM.
512M Barton 3000+ system = pauses
1024M Barton 2500+ system = no pauses
True. Oddly enough, my system runs this game very well. No pausing here, either.
Guarranteed smooth settings for me: 1280x1024
High Quality
2x AA & HQ's forced 8x aniso
All effects enabled & FAST WRITES OFF

Amazingly enough, I started using Ultra Quality yesterday at the same settings after I'd realized how well the 71.89s run, and I've encountered maybe one tiny hitch soon after I loaded the map, and none following. It was running so well that I eventually forgot I was at Ultra the whole time.
I don't know what's changed since the game came out, but it's definitely a new experience now. I still let the game freak me out. I just never seem to remember that the dead guard laying on the desk gets up, or that there's an imp in the vent! :D Well worth my 3rd playthrough.

Anyway, I think a combination of the 71.89s and fast writes off are the winner for me.

Rakeesh
04-18-05, 10:48 PM
Hmm....I never get any pauses and I run the game with all settings at max (including ultra quality) and 1280x1024 @ 2xQ FSAA. My video card has less memory than most of yours.

jolle
04-19-05, 05:11 AM
I got pauses when running Ultra quality..
I guess it usually had to swap out some textures when you got to a door and opened it.. since it seemed to happen mainly around doors.. since Ultra Quality wont fit on 256mb boards..
Didnt happen with High Quality.

vX
04-19-05, 11:12 AM
Never got any pauses playing doom 3, havent tried roe yet, I play high quality tho, not ultra quality, since they said u need a 512mb card to play ultra, I know it can be done with a 256 card, but meh...i'll stick to what they say.

Marcos
04-19-05, 11:38 AM
no pauses here. I dont think its his ram cause he has good ram. Are fastwrites on?

monkeydust
04-19-05, 01:31 PM
Weird. I thought everybody was having this issue. I got it on my old computer (AMD 2100+ w/ATI 9800 Pro) and my new computer (A64 w/2x6800 GT SLI). But, I was only getting about 23 FPS on my old computer where my new is consistently over 60.

I'll try taking the quality down a notch. I just figured since my framerate was good, I was fine running at highest settings.

Thanks for the replies.

Rakeesh
04-19-05, 03:54 PM
since Ultra Quality wont fit on 256mb boards..

*shrug* fits on my 128MB board.

Like I said above, I run it with ultra quality and AA, and I don't get any pauses on the system listed in my signature. Then again it could be due to me having a PCI-E board and DDR2 memory providing enough bandwidth for memory swapping that I just don't notice pauses *shrug*.

jolle
04-19-05, 04:09 PM
Im under the impression that running Ultra Quality will result in using more textures then can fit in 256mb card at the same time, thus it will have to flush and load up textures as it goes along, instead of putting it all in the Onboard RAM on the card when the map is loaded..
and that the process of uploading textures to the card during the level, AGP texturing I think its called, causes minor hickups when it happens..

You mean to tell me that "ultra quality" does infact, irregadless of what the people at id sais, fit on a 128mb card?

Its possible the hickups are gone or lessened on PCI-E systems since they have alot more bandwidth and a full duplex bus, but I dont think the texture load fits on a 128mb card anyway..

Rakeesh
04-19-05, 04:17 PM
You mean to tell me that "ultra quality" does infact, irregadless of what the people at id sais, fit on a 128mb card?

Its possible the hickups are gone or lessened on PCI-E systems since they have alot more bandwidth and a full duplex bus, but I dont think the texture load fits on a 128mb card anyway..

That is basically what I am saying. I run the game in ultra quality because I notice no slowdowns whatsoever. The lowest the FPS ever goes is 30, and that is rare. The full texture load probably doesn't physically fit on the card itself, however, it essentially "fits" because I can run it that way without any problems.

FWIW I know which pauses you are referring to though, because I do get those when I add some quality enhancement mods, namely the one that ads self shadows to all models. (u-e-q-mod works fine though)

Vagrant Zero
04-19-05, 04:21 PM
Alpha, what rez do you run D3 at. I run it ay 1600x1200 2xAA and even on High Quality I'll get the occasional puase. Granted I'm typically running some stuff in the background [java, bittorrent, firefox, etc etc] but I didn't get these puases when I first played through D3.

Rakeesh
04-20-05, 11:47 AM
Alpha, what rez do you run D3 at. I run it ay 1600x1200 2xAA and even on High Quality I'll get the occasional puase. Granted I'm typically running some stuff in the background [java, bittorrent, firefox, etc etc] but I didn't get these puases when I first played through D3.

As I stated earlier, 1280x1024 @ 2xQFSAA

Riptide
05-03-05, 09:59 PM
Dude WTF is with this POS game? Doom3 works fine on my system... Yet ROE starts hitching and pausing left and right. My system should be adequate for this game especially since @ the exact same settings it works fine w/Doom3. Just this expansion has this problem. I am not running Ultra settings either, just High and no AA. Some areas of the game are fine, others are just a complete mess. Slide show.

Oh and I have a buddy with a X800XTPE, 3500+, 1GB RAM, and his system does the exact same thing. So it obviously is a problem with the game, not my computer.

Is there a fix for this?

SH64
05-03-05, 10:03 PM
Just a quick reminder that RoE runs generally slower than the original Doom3 due the the extra usage of the graphics features , like shaders , smoke , particles ..etc
so i recommend that you play RoE in less res or AA than what you used to play on the original Doom3.

also trying different Catalyst version might help , as well as enabling Catalyst's AI &/or setting it to advanced maybe.

Riptide
05-03-05, 10:05 PM
Wah? It doesn't look any different to me. Certainly nothing that should really slow the machine down like that. And if it can take a system like mine and bring it to it's knees like that... That is just ridiculous.

BTW, my friend runs his game in 1600x1200 so he is demanding a bit less out of it than I am. And it still does this.

Vagrant Zero
05-03-05, 10:15 PM
RoE defintely looks better to me. And it runs a bit slower.

SH64
05-03-05, 10:18 PM
Wah? It doesn't look any different to me. Certainly nothing that should really slow the machine down like that. And if it can take a system like mine and bring it to it's knees like that... That is just ridiculous.

BTW, my friend runs his game in 1600x1200 so he is demanding a bit less out of it than I am. And it still does this.

Well then try different drivers & see how things go ..

Riptide
05-03-05, 11:32 PM
Nah, I'm not switching drivers. I'll just deal with the parts that are screwed up and wait for a patch or the next Catalyst. I appreciate the suggestions though. I'm pretty confident the game is screwed up. No other game does this, including the original.

This problem only comes up in certain areas of the game. It can be running along just fine at around 40+ fps, then I turn a particular corner and it immediately drops down to 3-5fps. Clearly, something is FUBAR.

Riptide
05-04-05, 07:44 AM
Well since Doom3 runs just fine and only parts of ROE freak out like this I'm inclined to not get all that worried about it. Seriously, if I can turn a particular corner in this game and go from 40fps or more down to 2-3fps (slideshow) then there is something wrong with either the ATI driver or the game. I can't see anything when I run into one of these areas of the game that slows down like that which warrants such a huge decrease in speed. Something is just messed up and needs to be fixed.

Marcos
05-04-05, 08:51 AM
I get pauses online. Doom online is not fun : (

OWA
05-06-05, 03:29 PM
Well since Doom3 runs just fine and only parts of ROE freak out like this I'm inclined to not get all that worried about it. Seriously, if I can turn a particular corner in this game and go from 40fps or more down to 2-3fps (slideshow) then there is something wrong with either the ATI driver or the game. I can't see anything when I run into one of these areas of the game that slows down like that which warrants such a huge decrease in speed. Something is just messed up and needs to be fixed.
It seems to be okay on my X800 Pro using the cat 5.4s. RoE is a little slower than Doom 3 overall but I haven't seen anything like what you're describing so far on the X800P. Is it only on certain levels that it occurs?

Maybe you should try applying the 1.2 patch again. Maybe something got screwed up.