PDA

View Full Version : Two displays, one Geforce 6600GT AGP 2 DVI to 2 VGA.

Gentle
04-18-05, 03:53 PM
I am not a rich person. LCD's are out of the question.

I have the ability to pick up two identical 17" CRT displays for a reasonable price.

(Very reasonable.)

What I am needing to know is are there any special driver settings I need to know about when using two displays?

Will I be able to tell the video card to only use one display, when I only need one?

I am sure I will have other questions...

Gentle

Subtestube
04-18-05, 04:58 PM
It's all pretty easy to set up really. I did my first dual monitor set up earlier this year (which I'm now loving, I should say) and it all went like a charm. Plug in both, and the drivers should detect them immediately. Set up dualview or horizontal span as you like in the driver, and 'position' the monitors using the Windows display settings. You can certainly disable one monitor when you want to, but there's no real reason to (Just turn off the second one ;)). A very handy tool for all that stuff is Ultramon : http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

ricercar
04-19-05, 02:19 AM
Two displays is easy to set up for Windows, but it's still a pain in Linux. For example, in Windows XP you can disable a display on the fly, without rebooting or disconnecting the cabling. (Performance is marginally faster on a card driving one display instead of two.)

Gentle
04-19-05, 10:44 AM
I'm on Windows 2000 Professional. Any differences?

Gentle

Subtestube
04-19-05, 04:23 PM
I don't know about Win2K, but I did have a friend who used to use dual monitors on Win2K with a GeForce 4 Ti. He never had any problems that I know of. It should all still be pretty straightforward. Probably better to wait until you've actually got it going, or are having issues getting it going - we can't really predict all problems.

jolle
04-19-05, 04:32 PM
You can make profiles in Nview (part of the Forceware drivers) that are handy.
I made a "Dual View" profile with the shortcut command "CTRL + F1" to switch to the "Single view" profile I made..
And on the "single view" profile I had the same hotkey set to switch to the "dual view" profile..
Which is handy for toggling between single display and dual display, some things (ex "the buglooker" techdemo) runs really slow in dual view..

Gentle
04-19-05, 06:59 PM
Do you know if power usage will change in the video card when driving two monitors?

Gentle

AthlonXP1800
04-19-05, 07:41 PM
I am not a rich person. LCD's are out of the question.

I have the ability to pick up two identical 17" CRT displays for a reasonable price.

What??? You can get 2 same brand and model 17" LCD monitors for very reasonable price on either ebay or from Aldi and Lidl stores that offer very good brand LCD monitors at super bargain prices. My uncle bought 18" LCD monitor for 150 last month from Aldi that was super bargain. :)

Gentle
04-20-05, 10:52 AM
O.k. Still, LCD's are out of the question.

Gentle

AthlonXP1800
04-21-05, 03:13 AM
O.k. Still, LCD's are out of the question.

100 for a new 17" LCD are still out of question? Except 150 for 18" LCD and 200 for 19" LCD.

Gentle
04-21-05, 10:07 AM
Yes, they still are out of the question.

Gentle

Gentle
04-24-05, 10:04 PM
Got the monitors on Friday.

Hooked them up and they work well.

I have some resolution limitations due to only having 128 meg of video ram, but I can live with it for a while.

One thing that is better on these monitors is I can run 1280 x 1024 at a decent refresh rate. Couldn't do that on my old monitor.

Gentle