PDA

View Full Version : CPU gone bad

PaiN
04-19-05, 06:00 AM
I haven't been talking about it here (saved the bitching & moaning for another forum I haunt), but I have not been able to stablize this steup even at full defaults....basicly it will not pass memtest and most games/apps will error out sooner or later :( .
I been through 3 sets of RAM OCZ PC3700Gold, PC3200VX and Mushkin PC3200 Black V2,(I also have that 2gb Patriot set on the way...) I tried every setting & adjustment possible and been through a few bios revs.
I finally opened an RMA with AMD. AMD's excellent Tech Support(I mean it, they're great) agreed that it might be a bad CPU mem controller.
I have a new 4000+ on the way, should find out in a few days if its a "CPU gone bad"

Riptide
04-19-05, 01:12 PM
What a bunch of crap man. Why can't it just work? :rolleyes:

Sorry I've just been through that more than once myself so you have my sympathy. :)

Bad CPUs are relatively rare so I'm curious to see how this plays out.

PaiN
04-19-05, 01:41 PM
Thanks ...sympathy is needed.
For whatever reason this CPU pukes-up on the tight timings A64s run best at.....I have the RAM to do 2 2-5-2 T1 (@200) but the only way for me to get through memtest and run stablely is to drop to 2.5 3-7-3 T2(@200)
pretty sad case....

jAkUp
04-19-05, 02:01 PM
Have you flashed the latest bios? The latest bios was supposed to increase memory compatibility with certian combos.

PaiN
04-19-05, 02:17 PM
Have you flashed the latest bios? The latest bios was supposed to increase memory compatibility with certian combos.

I've tried several bioses.....This way more than a compatibility problem....I was just playing SC:CT with the CPU @ 200x12(default) 1.525v, Mushkin PC3200 Hi Perf LII V2(sammy TCCD) 1:1 @ 2.5 3-7-3 T2 2.6v.
CAT5.3 vid @ (default) 520/540 and it CTD with a memory error :mad: ....its f-ed

Riptide
04-19-05, 02:35 PM
Yes something is definitely screwed there. Should run w/those settings. It's not the RAM so it is probably CPU or motherboard then.

joltcola
04-19-05, 03:20 PM
Man.. that has got to be frustrating. I hope this pans out soon. Could you get your hands on a motherboard just to test out if the problem lays within the mobo and not the cpu? I've seen a few issues on various forums that have a similar situation that came down to the DFI motherboard. May not be related though as i'm not very versed on DFI.

A little OT, but could you put up a pic of your system?

|JuiceZ|
04-19-05, 03:39 PM
You've got either a bad mobo or bad cpu and based on the statistics, I'd be leaning more towards the mobo. Don't run across many bad cpu's straight outta the factory that often especially highend parts.

Keep us updated.

Strahd
04-19-05, 03:46 PM
I would have to say it's the CPU since the memory controller is with the CPU and not the motherboard.

PaiN
04-19-05, 04:25 PM
I would have to say it's the CPU since the memory controller is with the CPU and not the motherboard.
That's how AMD TS felt.....there is really no way for the motherboard to cause these types of issues....since with an A64, the mobo only provides "pipes" for data to travel between CPU and RAM.
On that note, I've done strict voltage checks ....they are all fine, none are under or over volting. Even today in a last ditch effort I ran without the 20 to 24pin PSU adaptor...made no difference.

I have to tell ya....once again I feel the draw of Intel...pulling on me.

Riptide
04-19-05, 04:55 PM
It could still be the motherboard. I would tend to agree that it's the CPU, especially since timings seem to have an effect w/regard to memory. But I wouldn't rule out the motherboard entirely. These are immensely complicated devices and the motherboard still does play quite a role w/regard to overall system stability. Plus keep in mind your CPU's memory controller is talking to your RAM over that motherboard.

I wouldn't go back to Intel.

You just have bad luck like me. You must persevere. :D

Strahd
04-19-05, 05:15 PM
I would look at the CPU first and no, I would not rule out the motherboard. If for some reason the CPU checked out then it would almost HAVE to be the MB (since the memory has been pretty much ruled out as the culprit).

This is my first AMD system and I will never go back to Intel. Well, maybe not never but definetly not now :)

AMD > Intel

Riptide
04-19-05, 06:00 PM
I wonder if power supply could possibly have anything to do with it. I would doubt it highly but if the CPU exchange doesn't fixit and a motherboard doesn't fixit - then you might be looking @ a needle and a haystack.

PaiN did you break a mirror or something? Man it seems like you're running into a streak of bad luck here. ;)

PaiN
04-19-05, 08:20 PM
Bad luck ain't the word for it..... :mad:
Just to think, the SLI setup was running fine....I was freaked about the cost vs. performance, so, I sell off the board and cards and get the stuff in my sig. Between the CPUs and RAM that I've bought, tring to get it running right, I could have had two SLI systems...... :eek:
If the new CPU dosen't fix the problems with this system, I really might loose it. I feel tension & stress moving in....what would be next a $150 board, $120PSU ..hell why not????

Viffer5
04-19-05, 09:13 PM
:o Been there, done that. My most recent "upgrade" path happened because a very innocent failure, an HDD died. Nothing out of the ordinary. Replace HDD, new OS installation not happy (I had the mobo loaded with PCI cards, ran out of IRQ's)

I get new cheap mobo to get rid of my IRQ issues (everything on board!) and load up my box with drives (it can now accomodate more drives because of SATA HDD).

Stupid me, new board = DDR only, no DIMM slots = new RAM.

PSU blows up from big load. Replace PSU, system no post, CPU cooked when PSU got nuked = new Athlon XP 3000+ CPU (replaced AXP TB 2400+)

Fire it up, no display = new video card (I'm getting post beeps)

Throw in new 6600GT video card, still no post = Sony 21" Trinitron Monitor died = new 19" Viewsonic G90fb.

Finally, after spending all this money to replace a dead HDD, I now have a new crappy AXP system. Had I known this was going to happen I'd a dumped the money in a new box istead of trying to use the existing bits. Oh well.

I hope your new chip resolves your problems. :o

joltcola
04-19-05, 11:31 PM
:o Been there, done that. My most recent "upgrade" path happened because a very innocent failure, an HDD died. Nothing out of the ordinary. Replace HDD, new OS installation not happy (I had the mobo loaded with PCI cards, ran out of IRQ's)

I get new cheap mobo to get rid of my IRQ issues (everything on board!) and load up my box with drives (it can now accomodate more drives because of SATA HDD).

Stupid me, new board = DDR only, no DIMM slots = new RAM.

PSU blows up from big load. Replace PSU, system no post, CPU cooked when PSU got nuked = new Athlon XP 3000+ CPU (replaced AXP TB 2400+)

Fire it up, no display = new video card (I'm getting post beeps)

Throw in new 6600GT video card, still no post = Sony 21" Trinitron Monitor died = new 19" Viewsonic G90fb.

Finally, after spending all this money to replace a dead HDD, I now have a new crappy AXP system. Had I known this was going to happen I'd a dumped the money in a new box istead of trying to use the existing bits. Oh well.

I hope your new chip resolves your problems. :o

Ouch!

We should start a fund to be able to help people who run into these problems. I don't think anyone would mind paying for a "elite" membership here at nVnews if it was used to help out the site, and went towards sending parts to people in need. Figuring out if people are legit or not would be difficult. We would have to create " THE COUNCIL!" :eek: :eek:

<shrug>

-- jolt

PaiN
05-13-05, 08:48 AM
The saga continued....I wanted to update this thread.
I'm not sure where I left this....but turns out the CPU is fine.
I haven't really been able to get this setup the way I want it. No OC seems stable and I'm still on 1gb RAM.
To cut to the case, I had a two fold problem. One was that one of the Patriot DC 2gb 2x1gb sticks was bad....its gone on an RMA, I'm repalcing them with an 2gb 2x1gb OCZ PC3200 Platinum set. Second, I believe my 20pin Tt 560w PSU is not working correctly with these 24pin ATX boards(its the only common denominator between all my setups), I ordered a Forton 500w ATX BlueStorm PSU to replace it.
And while in the home stretch of getting this thing done, I decided to go back to an nVidia card. I really want the features back especially sm3.0 support now that games are coming out that use it. Not to mention advanced OpenGL, SLI & Digital Vibrance.
I'll be putting a Leadtek PX6800GT. I'm getting it today and will be doing some serious compairing in the next few days ;)

Riptide
05-13-05, 09:19 AM
Let us know what happens with the power supply. You say no OC is stable, did you finally get it stable @ stock? Will it prime @ stock?

PaiN
05-13-05, 11:15 AM
Its a little "iffy" because of the PSU, I'll have the Forton on Monday.

Riptide
05-13-05, 11:19 AM
Unbelievable isn't it? Why can't we just buy things and have it just work. Sometimes it seems kind of ridiculous. I've learned the hard way that once you get things working well then don't screw with it unless you absolutely have to.

Pandora's Box
05-13-05, 11:27 AM
Unbelievable isn't it? Why can't we just buy things and have it just work. Sometimes it seems kind of ridiculous. I've learned the hard way that once you get things working well then don't screw with it unless you absolutely have to.

indeed. although i must admit i havent had a single problem with my setup...*knocks on wood*

Strahd
05-13-05, 05:43 PM

I agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it hehe

bkswaney
05-13-05, 10:03 PM
Sorry to hear of your pain man. :(

Glad to hear AMD is taking care of it though. :)

PaiN
05-17-05, 08:24 PM
After months of f-ing around, I finally got it running the way I want, with the parts I want. I completely rebuilt down to the fans today...and it payed off, see my sig for the final specs.

einstein_314
05-17-05, 10:21 PM
Congrats!! Bout time eh? Glad you finally got it working. :thumbsup: