PDA

View Full Version : Hot runnin' BFG 6800GT...

loafer87gt
04-19-05, 12:20 PM
Hey guys, I am on my second BFG 6800 GT now and am experiencing similar heat problems as I had with my first. Even in my properly ventilated Antec case, the card idles about 75-76 using the newer drivers with the heatbug fixed. In comparison, my laptop with a 6800 Ultra idles at around 52!

Normally this wouldn't bother me, but I get frequent hiccups when doing regular computing where the computer will temporarily lockup, and checking my event log reveals a stress test transition - L2 --> L1 error. I have called BFG, and they say these temps are well within the normal limits of the card, and that the errors must be related to some other component in my system. I asked if it was at all possible to have them send out a third card to try, but they said that I would have to send in my old one first and that the testing process usually takes 2 to three weeks. I cannot be without a working computer for this long!

Anyways, just wondering what I should do here. A store in town has the Zalman 7700 coolers, but BFG has told me that swapping this on my card would void my warranty, and they have assured me several times that their custom twin fan cooling solution in superior to anything else out on the market anyways.

I'm kinda at a loss as to what to do.

GOZ
04-19-05, 12:33 PM
That idle temp is to high,my bfg6800 oc idled around 58-62c at idle with a voltmod and overclocked with the stock cooler. Got a Nv5 now it idles at41c. That L2 and L1 sounds like the cach on your cpu or the interface between the cpu and gpu (mobo).
Try it in a buddies computer to see if its the card or your system. One last thing how big and how many amps on the +12v line on your psu

loafer87gt
04-19-05, 01:17 PM
Here's the weird thing. My first card I took back to the store and they plugged it into one of their machines it ran at the same temps. I was getting the same errors with this card. I have an Enermax 6501 PSU with 36 amps on the 12 volt rail. Should be more than enough.

GOZ
04-19-05, 03:50 PM
Well i don't think its your card. I think its your cpu or motherbroad causeing the errors.
Are you over clocked???

The temp thing could be normal but the errors is what I would be woried about.
goto www.tweaksrus.com and post in their forum and see what they come up with. Good bunch of guys there :) :D

loafer87gt
04-19-05, 04:31 PM
Nope, the card and CPU are running both at stock speeds.