PDA

View Full Version : Good COOP games?

muaddib
04-19-05, 04:33 PM
Hi all.

I want to play some COOP games along with my friend on my local LAN setup. I'm sick of plain 1on1 multiplayers. I want some juicy SP action.

So, aside from SC:CT (which I'm gonna get ASAP), what games have really good COOP mods? Does DOOM3 & D3:ROE has COOP? I'm mainly aiming at action games.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
hombre :D

jAkUp
04-19-05, 04:35 PM
I like Swat 4's co-op :) Other than that, of course SC:CT

thenerdguy
04-19-05, 04:42 PM
serious sam the first encounter/ the second encounter

|MaguS|
04-19-05, 04:49 PM
System Shock 2

Edge
04-19-05, 04:54 PM
And older game, but System Shock 2 is great in coop mode, even if it does detract from the scare factor quite a bit. The coop mode for Half-life also works pretty well.

And no, the PC versions of Doom/RoE don't have coop, though I haven't heard if they ever got the coop mod fully working (it's been in progress since like right after Doom 3 was released).

GlowStick
04-19-05, 04:56 PM
serious sam the first encounter/ the second encounter
Seconded. Best Co-Op ever!

muaddib
04-19-05, 04:58 PM
Does HL2 has a COOP? Man that would be sweet... Does Sven is still working on his mod? I saw that Tim released a COOP mod... But comments say it's buggy.

saturnotaku
04-19-05, 04:58 PM
Seconded. Best Co-Op ever!

Thirded!

zoomy942
04-19-05, 06:13 PM
4th! but dont forget swat 4 and operation flashpoint!!

jolle
04-19-05, 06:28 PM
Does HL2 has a COOP? Man that would be sweet... Does Sven is still working on his mod? I saw that Tim released a COOP mod... But comments say it's buggy.
SvenCoop 2 is still in the works, hopefully to be released soon.
http://www.svencoop.com/

Svencoop for HL1 is pretty fun, depending on the maps, the resident evil map is pretty neat..
Also agree on SWAT4 and System Shock 2 being great in Coop. (And OP:FP)
Joint Operations is pretty fun too.

And pretty much every RTS game can be played in a form of Coop, team up against AI controlled enemies.. Age of Empires II is pretty fun, sortof interesting if you choose the same team and stuff so you both control the same "team", one of you control the Infantry and artilery units and the other guy control the Cavalary and stuff like that..
And one can do exploring while the other builds the base and sorts out stuff like that..

LT.Schaffer
04-19-05, 10:42 PM
Serious Sam First&Second[Great Coop,Great Levels]
Joint Operations&Expansion[Good Teamwork Game]
Operation Flashpoint&Expansion :headbang:[ :eek: :eek: ]Nuff Said
Rainbow Six:Ravenshield[Good Close Quarters Combat]
BattleField 1942&Expansions[Classic WW2 Battles]
BattleField Vietnam[Classic Vietnam Battles]
Star Wars BattleFront[Plays Like Battlefield 1942,But Star Wars Theme]
Those Are Some Of The Coop Games I Play On My Home LAN With My Family
They're All Awesome :thumbsup: :super:
Swat 3 Was Also Pretty Fun

Sectus
04-20-05, 11:02 AM
My top coops games:
System Shock 2:
I've never actually been able to set up a proper SS2 coop game (at the best I was able to play the first area and then it crashed), and that's it's main flaw, it's very buggy. But if it works then it's amazing, this is one of the best singleplayer games I've played and the coop can't be any worse.

Myth 2:
It's an older game, but it's amazing realtime strategy game with full coop support. There's a demo over at www.playmyth.net, I can't remember if the demo have coop support though.

Serious Sam: First and Second encounter:
Really fun coop games. Straightforward mindless first person shooters. If you like "oldschool" first person action you'll love this.

Duke Nukem 3D, Doom 1 and 2, Blood 1, Shadow Warrior:
Speaking of oldschool first person shooters... these are also great, but they're very old. Although Duke3D and Doom has got lots of neat source ports which has made it's easier to play (that is, easier to set up, the gameplay itself is the same) and a lot prettier. Blood and Shadow Warrior may be difficult to set up though.

Swat 4:
A very new tactical first person shooter with full coop support. It's a lot of fun and definitely the most fun coop game to come out in recent years. The only bad things being that it has long loading times which may get annoying and some people probably won't like the gameplay as much (the goal here is to preserve life, you get extra points for arresting suspects instead of killing them).

That's my top picks which I think are super fun. Here are some others which may not be as good but still something to consider:

Heretic, Hexen:
More old FPSs with coop support. They both have source ports so they're easy to set up. Not as fun as Doom and Duke3D though.

Descent 1, 2 and 3:
Other old action shooters. Similar to Doom only you're in a spaceship so you have full freedom in 3D movement. Kinda confusing with the maze-like levels but still fun.

Battlefield 1942, Vietnam:
Not exactly "real" coop play, but you can start a lan game with the enemy team consisting of bots and play against them. Not quite balanced but still fun. Might as well wait for Battlefield 2 though.

Lionheart, Never Winter Nights, Baldur's Gate series:
If you like RPG games then some of these might be interesting. They all have coop support. I personally recommend Lionheart, it's different and isn't a pure D&D game (which is a good or a bad thing depending on what kind of RPG games you prefer).

Diablo 1 and 2, Sacred:
If you like action hack'n'slash RPG games then you should check these out. The bad thing is that the games demand a lot of time for you to be able to build up your character and the games can get monotonous really fast.

Stronghold, Warhammer: Dawn of War, Act of War, Rise of Nations:
If you like RTS games then some of these might be interesting. They don't support real coop support, but it's possible to set up a team matches where you ally yourselves against the AI. It's pretty fun, but not as fun as games with real proper coop support. There's also a bunch of other RTS games which can be played like this.

Quake, Quake 2, Unreal:
"Newer" (that is, newer as in newer than Doom, Duke3D and those mentioned above) FPS games with full coop support. I personally think games like Serious Sam and Duke3D is a lot more fun, but these have some entertainment value as well. It all depends on what kind of games you prefer.

Well, those are all the coop games I can think of. Hope it's of some help. And yeah, if you want an even bigger list, go check out: http://shadowpanther.net/co-op.htm
The only bad thing is that the list doesn't really tell you anything about the games and some of the games doesn't even really have any real coop play.

PSYCHODAD
04-20-05, 11:10 AM
SvenCoop 2 is still in the works, hopefully to be released soon.
http://www.svencoop.com/

Svencoop for HL1 is pretty fun, depending on the maps, the resident evil map is pretty neat..
Also agree on SWAT4 and System Shock 2 being great in Coop. (And OP:FP)
Joint Operations is pretty fun too.

And pretty much every RTS game can be played in a form of Coop, team up against AI controlled enemies.. Age of Empires II is pretty fun, sortof interesting if you choose the same team and stuff so you both control the same "team", one of you control the Infantry and artilery units and the other guy control the Cavalary and stuff like that..
And one can do exploring while the other builds the base and sorts out stuff like that..
I've had some fun times playing Svencoop on LAN. Found the RE mod buggy as hell though.

vX
04-20-05, 11:32 AM
half life 2 has a co-op mode thanks to a user made patch....I need some online friends, anyone wanna run through farcry and hl2 with me in co-op hit me up pm! =) (both have 3rd party patches that allow for it)

Mr. Hunt
04-20-05, 11:57 AM
If I remember right NOLF2 had a pretty cool coop mode... been forever since I played it though... might be hard to find a server :\.

jolle
04-20-05, 06:31 PM
If I remember right NOLF2 had a pretty cool coop mode... been forever since I played it though... might be hard to find a server :\.
Well.. my general opinion with this is that you either play COOP on LAN, or you play it with a pal using Ventrilo or somesuch voice comunication tool, and in either case, one of you can host the server.. so finding a server shouldnt be a problem when your gunning for coop..

gmontem
04-20-05, 10:03 PM
Here (http://www.seriouszone.com/cms/potd.php?action=view&potdid=386) is one coop game to look forward to this Fall. The game has finally been official announced (see Blue's News). :D