PDA

View Full Version : huh.. can someone ID this cpu?

joltcola
04-19-05, 06:58 PM
I ordered a SocketA Sempron 3000+ (Barton Core). The package says that is what it is.

but the cpu says this:

AMD Athlon 64

ADA3000AEP4AX
LBAZC 0510BPBW
Z616125C50692

-- jolt

jAkUp
04-19-05, 07:07 PM
And its socket 462??? weird...

zoomy942
04-19-05, 07:16 PM
http://www.yoursite.com/pc-137009-1868-amd-ada3000aep4ax.aspx

einstein_314
04-19-05, 07:33 PM
That's definately weird. So is it actually SocketA or is it S754. According to this chart Click here (http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html) that number corresponds with the A64 3000+ S754. (It's the forth from the bottom of the chart for A64 cpus). That's definately really weird...

einstein_314
04-19-05, 07:36 PM
And the only S754 Sempron is the 3100+. This is what your code should be...
SDA3000DUT3D. Hmmm

saturnotaku
04-19-05, 07:41 PM
Must be a new S754 CPU. It's actually a NewCastle core, 2.0 GHz, 512k L2 cache. If it's priced right, it may not be a bad deal for someone wanting to upgrade a PIII or AXP machine on a tight budget.

joltcola
04-19-05, 11:21 PM
I ordered a socket A (462 pin) from Tiger Direct.

What I got in the mail is what I listed. The information is directly off the top of the chip. Just to clear up any question. When I googled the numbers (since I didn't have a ID chart anymore), I got the information that you guys are reporting. Which shows the cpu as a S754 pin config A64. Just everything on the package says it to be the Socket A, Sempron version of the Barton with full L2.

I'm not sure if I should keep it and build a system around it, or if should send it back and tell them to get me the right cpu.

-- jolt

jAkUp
04-19-05, 11:23 PM
open it and show some pics :) is the core exposed?

joltcola
04-19-05, 11:38 PM
open it and show some pics :) is the core exposed?

Nah.. there is a metal cap on the top, but I'll take pictures if you want.

-- jolt

zoomy942
04-19-05, 11:55 PM
yeah. and take pics of the pins on the underside as well

jAkUp
04-20-05, 12:08 AM
Nah.. there is a metal cap on the top, but I'll take pictures if you want.

-- jolt

yea thats a socket 754... if it was 462 it would be an exposed core

joltcola
04-20-05, 12:20 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=11306&stc=1

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=11307&stc=1

No doubt what the ID on this cpu is. I didn't have much when I first got it, I was just so taken back by the fact that they would make that big of a mistake.

Jakup: Why did they cover the core? Was this to support the weight of the heatsink across the chip or just provide more contact between cpu cap and HS?

-- jolt

zoomy942
04-20-05, 12:23 AM
wow.. thtas a big big mistake

joltcola
04-20-05, 12:29 AM
wow.. thtas a big big mistake

Hah! You're telling me!

I skiped this pin config since it looked like the 9xx pin setup was what manufacturers were going to go with. Also, it is an OEM cpu. Just the retailers packaging for it. They stuck it in a box that I would think they would put a pair of shoes or some CD/DVD drive into. Not a cpu. Why do they charge people 9 bucks to send something they could put into a smaller box and ship in two days, guarenteed, with tracking, and insurance for cheeper. Instead of the Week and a day it took.

edit: Remind me, when I win the lotto to start a retail store that has a nice two day air for cheep contract with the US Postal Service.

-- jolt

jAkUp
04-20-05, 12:30 AM
An athlon 64 3000??!! If so thats a good mistake :D :D

Definetely socket 754. I think they put the heatspreader on top of the core to actually keep less people from busting the die. I supposly aids in cooling as well, Far too many people put the heatsink on backwards and crack the die with the old athlonxp's

joltcola
04-20-05, 12:33 AM
An athlon 64 3000??!! If so thats a good mistake :D :D Maybe a clawhammer?

Definetely socket 754. I think they put the heatspreader on top of the core to actually keep less people from busting the die. I supposly aids in cooling as well, Far too many people put the heatsink on backwards and crack the die with the old athlonxp's

Yah, I've experinced this quite a few times. Intel CPUs included. The AthlonXPs were easy to identify as a dead cpu, but the intel was freaky. It posted, booted up WinXP and ran games. The only thing to clue you into the problem was the cpu temp was through the roof. I don't remember what it got up to, but it was enough to say " No !@#!$ Way!"

-- jolt

einstein_314
04-20-05, 12:51 AM
Yeah, that's definately a S754 chip. Looks like you got yourself a A64 3000+!!! Sweet deal eh? :D

Lfctony
04-20-05, 02:16 AM
If you can spare a little more for a new motherboard, keep it. If not, just return it and get your actual order.

saturnotaku
04-20-05, 06:27 AM
Was I talking to myself in the first post I made in this thread?

NoWayDude
04-20-05, 06:50 AM
Was I talking to myself in the first post I made in this thread?

So it looks like :)

Listen m8, Saturnotaku gave you the best advise already.U can even do a poll if you want to."Should i keep my A64 sent by mistake or send it back for the non A64?"
Hell, if you lived in the UK could sell u either an Asus or an Abit Via board for 50

joltcola
04-20-05, 11:49 AM
Must be a new S754 CPU. It's actually a NewCastle core, 2.0 GHz, 512k L2 cache. If it's priced right, it may not be a bad deal for someone wanting to upgrade a PIII or AXP machine on a tight budget.

I wasn't ignoring you. I just wasn't to that point where I wished to think about it. To take advantage of the chip would require a system from scratch, and that costs more money then I wanted to spend. I'm still entertaining the idea, but... trying to rethink things as i'm trying to build up the amount of systems I have and my ability to upgrade without breaking the bank

... and people ignore me all the time, so don't take it personal.

-- jolt

saturnotaku
04-20-05, 12:47 PM
I wasn't ignoring you. I just wasn't to that point where I wished to think about it. To take advantage of the chip would require a system from scratch, and that costs more money then I wanted to spend. I'm still entertaining the idea, but... trying to rethink things as i'm trying to build up the amount of systems I have and my ability to upgrade without breaking the bank

... and people ignore me all the time, so don't take it personal.

-- jolt

Oh, it wasn't you I was referring to so I apologize if it sounded as such. I'm talking about the people asking for pics and further proof.

Nobody listens to me or tells me anything either. It's a pain I know all too well. Oh well, at least it makes it easy to plead ignorance. ;)

zoomy942
04-20-05, 12:50 PM
Oh, it wasn't you I was referring to so I apologize if it sounded as such. I'm talking about the people asking for pics and further proof.

Nobody listens to me or tells me anything either. It's a pain I know all too well. Oh well, at least it makes it easy to plead ignorance. ;)
:hug:

saturnotaku
04-20-05, 12:53 PM
Hey now, keep your filthy mitts to yourself. (gay) :D

joltcola
04-20-05, 01:06 PM
Hey now, keep your filthy mitts to yourself. (gay) :D
(naw)

hahah... I've made a friend ( I think... )

edit: Here is a good example of being ignored Heheh (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49422)

-- jolt