PDA

View Full Version : end of the line for agp?

grimreefer
04-19-05, 07:52 PM
i really want a g70 in agp. and this asus p5p800 is looking real tempting. any idea if such a card(g70 agp) will come to exist?

gram_vaz
04-19-05, 08:03 PM
someone correct me if i'm wrong but i believe nvidia and ati already said that their next gen cards are coming out for agp as well as pci-e. and even if agp is phased out with this gen the high end cards of this gen are good enough to last for a few years with good performance.

jAkUp
04-20-05, 12:39 AM
I have heard that there will be less and less supply on agp cards, paticularly the high end cards. Now, they will come, but the PCIe versions will probably come first. And there will be limited supply on the AGP versions.

einstein_314
04-20-05, 12:44 AM
yeah, I'm guessing it will be quite a while after the PCIe versions come out that the AGP ones come. Probably a few months. And there will be pretty limited supplies of them.

1337_Like_ThaT
04-20-05, 02:18 AM
I feel you are still safe purchasing an AGP card nowadays. Unlike newer chipset motherboards who are almost all converting to PCI-e

lostlilchild66
04-20-05, 03:03 AM
You will continue to see AGP cards until PCI-E is worth buying. At this current point in time, there is no real reason to buy PCI-E. I personally dont think SLI is worth the money at this point, since 40% ofthe games out there actually support it.

rohit
04-20-05, 11:27 AM
1]IMO, dont expect "ALL" nex gen cards to be AGP. i mean certain models wont be available in AGP.
Acording to their interviews, the new cards will need more bandwidth. so PCIe will be favoured.
2]P5P800 has so many features missing, why wuld u wanna get that. well its better than p5p800-mx, but i wuldnt be buying it (If i were in your place).

Personally, i will be skipping it, if its not gonna be AGP.
(Well it depends on how much the performance improvement will be from the current AGP 6800U)

MUYA
04-20-05, 11:28 AM
KILL AGP KILL AGP....of course not, AGP will be around and I bet ya refreshes or new nect gen cards will still have cards in the AGP flava for at least 2 years...

grimreefer
04-20-05, 02:26 PM
1]IMO, dont expect "ALL" nex gen cards to be AGP. i mean certain models wont be available in AGP.
Acording to their interviews, the new cards will need more bandwidth. so PCIe will be favoured.
2]P5P800 has so many features missing, why wuld u wanna get that. well its better than p5p800-mx, but i wuldnt be buying it (If i were in your place).

Personally, i will be skipping it, if its not gonna be AGP.
(Well it depends on how much the performance improvement will be from the current AGP 6800U)
p5p800 is rumored to have dual core support :eek:
and its cheap, so i dont have to sell a bunch a crap to upgrade.
its agp, so i can keep my 5950.(i dont think its worth buying a 6800gt now, its almost a year old)

zoomy942
04-20-05, 02:32 PM
ati and nvidia know that alot of us people with power-pc's will keep our agp cards till they arent useful. and they would be eating into profits if they didnt offer al least the next gen as agp, cause alot of us dont want to overhaul our pc's just yet

TheTaz
04-20-05, 02:41 PM
AGP was available since, what? the Pentium II? (1997)
The last "Legacy PCI" card that I know of from nVidia is the FX5200. (2003)

That's 6 years.
Let's even round that down to 5 years.

PCI Express was only introduced late last year. Needless to say, I think it will be quite a while before you see no AGP versions of a card. ;)

Granted, for High end cards... it will probably be less... like 3 years.

$n][pErMan
04-20-05, 03:00 PM
AGP 8x has hardly to be tapped to its true potential. Id hope we continue seeing AGP cards for some time. If not... I dont care.. I plan on keeping my card for at least 2 years!! Will be one year in september :p

thecrazykevy
04-20-05, 03:37 PM
:D Thats good to hear. If I blow my money on a new video card then I may not have enough left to upgrade to a mobo with a pci-e slot and buy a new cpu.

ronss
04-20-05, 04:17 PM
as long as their is a market, they will keep making agp cards. pci express is still the minority, and will be for awhile

einstein_314
04-20-05, 07:07 PM
AGP was available since, what? the Pentium II? (1997)
The last "Legacy PCI" card that I know of from nVidia is the FX5200. (2003)

That's 6 years.
Let's even round that down to 5 years.

PCI Express was only introduced late last year. Needless to say, I think it will be quite a while before you see no AGP versions of a card. ;)

Granted, for High end cards... it will probably be less... like 3 years.

That is true, but remember that PCI slots are being used for uses other than video. If PCI had been just for video, when AGP came around, it would have dissapeared a lot faster. AGP will disappear much faster because you can only use it for video. But even so, I say it will be 2 years or so before it's really mostly gone.

JoKeRr
04-20-05, 08:11 PM
P5P800 with Dual core support :eek: Where did u see that?? Maybe it's worth while to upgrade to a 2mb scotty with my BH5 and AGP. hm, btw, ever heard of HSI?? yea that's what that puppy is made for: Bus translation baby :angel:

Strahd
04-21-05, 10:27 AM
I just upgraded my video card to an eVGA ultra extreme edition (AGP) a few months ago. I figure it's got atleast a years worth of life in it, probably 2. I doubt I'll keep it but a year though. Hopefully they will have optimized the PCIe cards to perform as well or better then the AGP cards and also have some descent choices on OC'ing with atleast one PCI-X slot on the MB. I think that now they are making 512meg video cards, PCIe will come into play more then the AGP will.

I don't plan on going PCIe for atleast a year or so. Then I'll probably build a dual core AMD system on a SLI setup :D

vX
04-21-05, 10:32 AM
Ati stated the r520 will have an agp counter-part. I dunno what's up with nvidia and the G70, but imo, there's too much of an agp user base still to quit agp altogether.

rohit
04-21-05, 12:22 PM
Yeah, i seriously hope that r520 & G70 has an AGP counter part in all models*.
also IMO, p5p800 wont support intel dual core*. they require the new 955P/G/965X/XE Chipset, clearly mentioned in anandtech intel pentium D review.

The only pluspoint of p5p800 is the AGP.

mustrum
04-21-05, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. We AMD users will be able to use Dualcore CPU's on our old boards still and the next gen of highend cards should be released as AGP version as well i think (maybe a bit later).
I would't buy a G70 AGP if i'd build a system now though. The resell value wont be as good i fear. I'll just use my 6800U until it's too weak wich should be a while.

Clevor
04-21-05, 07:51 PM
After playing with a DFI NF4 board with PCIE for the last two weeks, I miss the VAGP option on the board. With AGP cards, you could bump the voltage to stabilize extreme overclocks, e.g. where maybe 3DMark2001 kicks out but the other three Marks pass. Bumping the VAGP some will get it to pass.

On this damn PCIE board, you are impotent. You can only back off the HTT. I tried bumping the 100 mhz bus but it only hurts; won't even post sometimes.

bkswaney
04-22-05, 12:53 AM
KILL AGP KILL AGP....of course not, AGP will be around and I bet ya refreshes or new nect gen cards will still have cards in the AGP flava for at least 2 years...

I second that. :)

grimreefer
04-22-05, 07:57 PM
Yeah, i seriously hope that r520 & G70 has an AGP counter part in all models*.
also IMO, p5p800 wont support intel dual core*. they require the new 955P/G/965X/XE Chipset, clearly mentioned in anandtech intel pentium D review.

The only pluspoint of p5p800 is the AGP.
it does have dual core support.
865pe, 945, 955, and intel nforce 4 all have dual core support
only the 915 and 925 dont have it. this is according to vrzone

webmal
04-22-05, 11:08 PM
Market for AGP cards is huge, most PC is still using AGP.