PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply question

ruziel
04-19-05, 10:03 PM
I recently bought:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-167-007&depa=0

When it slapped it into my PC, computer turned on LED's going fans buzzing, but nothing else was running. Blank screen on the monitor, cd tray would not open, like it had no power. It is like my computer is only getting half power, or something. I thought the PSU was bad so I put it in my older computer and it works fine. Here are my specs on my main rig:

AMD Athlon 64 3200
MSI K8N Neo FSR Series
1gig xms corsair
BFG Geforce6800 (no overclocking)
74gig Raptor sata drive

I tried everything I could think of, swapping out the 6800 for a 5900. Still no go. Reset my CMOS. Still nothing.

Please please help. Thanks

|MaguS|
04-19-05, 10:11 PM
400w should be more then enough, I was running on a 420w for awhile but you are running a brand I never heard of, it could be a lower output but I wouldn't think it would be that bad.

Have you tried without the LEDS and the bare components? How about another PSU in the system (an older one)?

It looks like it could be your Motherboard or CPU has blew...

saturnotaku
04-19-05, 10:25 PM
That's what you get for buying a cheap, no name power supply. Do what eb suggested. If you're not successful, your attempt to save money on arguably the most important component in your system may have just cost you a hell of a lot more in the form of other blown components.

ruziel
04-19-05, 10:47 PM
thanks for the replies.

this all started last week, I turned off my computer, turned it back on and the power went on for a brief moment then went completely off. That was a 350w PSU, about 2 years old. Tried to put that one into my older computer and it wouldn't fire up, so I concluded that the 350w 2 year old psu has finally crapped out on me. I have one other older PSU that is working, but it doesn't have the 4 pin JPW1 connector for my mobo, so I can't really use that one :p

Both my mobo and processor are fairly new, about 2-3 months old now. I hope they didnt blow out =\

My friend is telling me that for a 64bit system, that power supply gives a pretty low amperage on the rails, so maybe this PSU is a POS. Going to take it to my technician pal tomarrow morning, see what his view is on it.

I just want my rig back =(

|MaguS|
04-19-05, 11:03 PM
Rails aren't on the seriously low side but they could be outputting lower then whats listed. AMD64 cpu's aren't really that power hungry, the 6800 eats more power then it I believe.

But if your getting no signal from the PC at all but your fans are responding then its more likely either an issue with the motherboard or CPU, check the connections and if you can try it outside your case (yes sometimes this does help, If I ever had such an issue I first try to get the system running outside the box).

jAkUp
04-19-05, 11:12 PM
Well... the +12v rail is at 18A... thats pretty low for a system such as yours. Invest in a good Antec, OCZ, or PC Power and Cooling power supply.

|MaguS|
04-19-05, 11:28 PM
Sparkle!

Even though mine died on me (actually the fan broke), I went back to them because it was so dam solid.

jAkUp
04-19-05, 11:30 PM
Oh yes, forgot about them, they make very nice power supply's also.

einstein_314
04-20-05, 12:56 AM
Well I have to say, there's only so much quality you can get for $25. The powersupply is one of the most important components of your computer. It's worth spending the money for a good one. As Jak said, invest in a good quality OCZ, Antec, PC power and cooling or Sparkle. All great powersupplies. I've got an antec and it's wonderful.

ENU291
04-20-05, 07:53 AM
MGE power supplies are notorious for not functioning properly when you use the addtional 12v 4 pin connection(P4 and Athlon 64 systems). DO NOT cheap out on your PSU purchases people. You will regret it in the end.

saturnotaku
04-20-05, 08:13 AM
Don't forget to put Thermaltake on that list. While they may not be the strongest in the +12v department, their power supplies are quiet and extremely reliable. The 560W unit has no trouble powering 2 Raptors, a 7200 RPM hard drive, two optical drives, five case fans, a PCI-E 6800 GT (through the adapter) and an A64 3500+. I can't speak highly enough of the one I have. Some of the best $96 I've ever spent on my computer.

Riptide
04-20-05, 08:18 AM
PC Power and Cooling is also worth looking at, though you pay a premium for their turbo cool line.

ruziel
04-20-05, 01:14 PM
a little update:

just took my PC into my friends work, he owns a little computer repair shop(Haven't stepped foot in a PC repair shop in 5 years lol, felt noob =( ). They are going to run some diagnostics and stuff and find the problem. I'm crossing my fingers that its just that crappy MGE PSU thats not fully powering my system and not a busted mobo/proc. We'll see =\

jAkUp
04-20-05, 02:16 PM
$10 on the power supply! :D :D :D

ruziel
04-20-05, 03:25 PM
$10 on the power supply! :D :D :D

haha lol

Guess what vcard I'm using right now on this POS spare computer. Voo****ingdoo 2! 3Dfx ftw.

jAkUp
04-20-05, 09:19 PM
haha those were legendary :)

JoKeRr
04-20-05, 09:50 PM
i'm surprised that OCZ powerstream line of PSU still haven't got the SLI certification yet, don't know what's up with that, they are suppose to be good, not like the x-connect crap.

ruziel
04-21-05, 07:32 PM
Update:

Sadly, it was the mother board that died on me. Plugged the MGE PSU into the same exact model mobo and it fired up.

I got the mobo at Frys and they wont do returns without a reciept, which is lame as **** when they have Frys stickers plastered all over the box. I'm going to go down there this weekend raise hell. Or I could attempt to RMA it with MSI.

I am red with rage :fu: