PDA

View Full Version : 520w OCZ Modstream.

Roliath
04-19-05, 10:18 PM
I'm thinking about purchasing this unit in the next couple of days to replace my Ultra X-Connect. Although there is nothing wrong with my current PSU, I don't want to chance it with my new rig. And I also don't really like the 80mm fan on the bottom of the PSU, I rather have a 120mm.

But I have a couple of questions, I must have an Modular PSU, and the cheapest I have found the 520w ModStream is @ the Egg for $96 plus shipping
520w link (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-155&depa=0)
Or should I just get the 450w Version for $80 plus shipping?
450w Link (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-154&depa=0)

I don't really want to spend more then 100 shipped, and i think these are my best choices, UNLESS some of you have a better PSU in mind?
What do you think? Should I get the 450w and save some cash? or go for the full blown 520w?

- Thanks in Advance!

jAkUp
04-19-05, 11:16 PM
Go for the 520... not that much more expensive... those both look nice on the +12v rail, and I just know they are good PSU's. Good choice :)

Roliath
04-20-05, 12:56 AM
A friend of mine just told me to also consider this PSU, Super Flower/TTGI PLUG-N Power 550w (http://xoxide.com/superflower-ttgi-plug-n-550w-ps.html). Personally i've never heard of this computer nor do I know if it's actually any good.
It's also cheaper then the OCZ 520 MS, so what do you guys think?

EvilEye
04-20-05, 01:57 AM
I would go for the OCZ 520 (which has a peak power of 600W). It scored best in a big test that saturnotaku posted in another thread (canīt remember which one). I have the 450W version and it reeks with quality and is super quiet. I have heard that the 520W version is a bit louder.

jAkUp
04-20-05, 01:59 AM
Yea I would go with the OCZ... more reputable. The superflower does not list tolerance so I would be a little wary... since we know the OCZ is good.

Roliath
04-20-05, 07:46 AM
I hear the cables are really stiff on the ModStream can you confirm this EvilEye?

EvilEye
04-21-05, 03:37 AM
Itīs the 20-24 pin motherboard cable which is a bit stiff but I havnīt had any problems with it. Itīs the length that can be a problem for som people who have fulltowers since itīs not as long as ordinary motherboard cables. The other power cables are easy to work with.
Other then the length issue I canīt recommend this powersuply enough :) .

Roliath
04-21-05, 04:34 AM
Itīs the 20-24 pin motherboard cable which is a bit stiff but I havnīt had any problems with it. Itīs the length that can be a problem for som people who have fulltowers since itīs not as long as ordinary motherboard cables. The other power cables are easy to work with.
Other then the length issue I canīt recommend this powersuply enough :) .
Sweet thanks!

SigmaOrionis
04-26-05, 04:28 PM
I've got the 520W. A good way to help with the stiffness of the main powerplug is to disconnect the 4 pin cable that is attached to it. It just slides apart. I just coiled this extra cable into the spare 5.25 inch bays. It made a big difference in bending this cable. I wish they would have made these cables modular.

I also like how the PS uses standard molex connectors for the cables. This allowed me to plug the exhaust fan of my SuperLanboy directly into the powersupply giving it an even cleaner look.

This power supply is night and day quieter than the Antec SL400 it replaced.

Overall very happy with the purchase.

smthmlk.
04-26-05, 08:13 PM
I just got the ocz modstream 450w, $79 shipped at monarch (no tax for CA). seems to be a really nice PSU, and im coming from a fortron 400w ;) The fan on it could spin a little faster/blow more air, but whatever.. it knows to speed it up when it needs to, and its not blowing hot air (yet), so it's OK with me :) Nice and quiet as well. Have a 6800U on it w/ 4 ide drives, no problems whatsoever.

Roliath
04-26-05, 08:33 PM
thanks, mine should be here by monday! along with a VF700cu, i opted for a 450w so i could order the VF700.