PDA

View Full Version : Zalman ZM-GWB1

Viffer5
04-20-05, 09:48 AM
Anyone have any experience with the ZM-GWB1? I'm curious as to the inlet/outlet sizes and compatibility with 6600GT and how does it coompare to the Zalman VF700.

MUYA
04-23-05, 11:49 PM
@viffer5 Please do not bump your own threads.

Mavke
04-24-05, 03:36 AM
Oh that seems to be a nice kit... I should be looking into getting it maybe but first I hope some reviews will be made of it.

Rumpenstumpen
04-24-05, 06:02 AM
X-bit Labs (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/zalman-reserator_4.html) <- Linky :)
I must confess I hadnít expected anything like that from Zalman. Without running any tests, I can already express my doubts about the efficiency of such water blocks. First, the sole surface of the blocks is not treated at all...
... Second, the heat from the graphics processor is not transferred through a copper base, like in Zalmanís own CPU water block, but rather through a thick layer of aluminum, which has twice worse heat conductivity characteristics. Lastly, a through and round hole is the worst channel for the water stream. Such a channel has the smallest internal surface area, i.e. this is the worst case for heat transfer.

Viffer5
04-26-05, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the post Rumpenstumpen. I was concerned when I noted the price wasabout $10 cheaper than the VF700 that had proven results.

I wasn't looking forward to running more hose in my case so I figured I'd go with the air cooling solution even though it's more expensive. Now knowing that it is more effective, I have no objections to spending the extra few $

Thnx.

GeeZuZz
04-27-05, 03:14 PM
I have that one on my 6600GT, and it fits ok, and works ok. Temp is about 40-45 idle, in other words more than good enough unless you want to do a massive overclock. Note that my water goes by the CPU before its at GPU, and the water is passivly cooled.

Clay
04-27-05, 04:37 PM
Note that my water goes by the CPU before its at GPU, and the water is passivly cooled.Something I've noticed (and read about) during my foray into watercooing is that the water tempertaure will only gain about a degree at most coming from the CPU to the GPU. I've also noticed that my temps only go up about a degree or two if I set my 120mm fan to 5V which results in much lower CFM than with it at 12V. Water is really impressive in how much heat it can absorb.

Viffer5
04-28-05, 09:28 PM
Hey GeeZuZz, what are the laod temps? Those figures you quoted are my idle temps (actually, my idle is 40 driving 2 monitors @ 1280x1024).

My current load temps are just under 80C and I've lowered my OC to 561cor and 1.07mem. I was tired of the artifacts when the card gets hot. No more artifacts. I have stock LeadTek cooling with AS5 and 2 80mm case fans @ 7v blowing directly onto the card. It helps a bit (I figure 2~5C) but not much, more of a noise maker but I have a voltage switch on the fans that changes between 12v and 7v so it's not so loud when I'm not gaming :p

I figure that this water cooling option is more for a HTPC where the desired result is completely silent PC at the expense of lower temps. I want more performance so I figure I'll go with the VF700.